Thufir's a Harkonnen now.

devel / comp.lang.c / what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

SubjectAuthor
* what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?Meredith Montgomery
`* Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?Keith Thompson
 `* Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?Meredith Montgomery
  `* Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?Thiago Adams
   +* Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?Keith Thompson
   |`- Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?Meredith Montgomery
   `- Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?Meredith Montgomery

1
what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

<86v91gjx1k.fsf@levado.to>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18791&group=comp.lang.c#18791

From: mmontgom...@levado.to (Meredith Montgomery)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 01:05:11 -0300
 by: Meredith Montgomery - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 04:05 UTC

I once used a very cool program that would parse a type declaration and
spell it out in English. For example, given

int* x

it would say something like

x is a pointer to an int.

I can't find the name of such program, so I can't install it again. I'm
sure you know which one it is. Can you jog my memory? Thank you!

Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

<87tuh0zc4p.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18793&group=comp.lang.c#18793

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 21:30:14 -0700
sha1:LOUK3/VXe7jzcgL/7PiqGYinIF8=
 by: Keith Thompson - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 04:30 UTC

Meredith Montgomery <mmontgomery@levado.to> writes:
> I once used a very cool program that would parse a type declaration and
> spell it out in English. For example, given
>
> int* x
>
> it would say something like
>
> x is a pointer to an int.
>
> I can't find the name of such program, so I can't install it again. I'm
> sure you know which one it is. Can you jog my memory? Thank you!

cdecl, also available via a web interface at https://cdecl.org/

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

<86lf2bki19.fsf@levado.to>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18809&group=comp.lang.c#18809

From: mmontgom...@levado.to (Meredith Montgomery)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:44:02 -0300
 by: Meredith Montgomery - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:44 UTC

Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:

> Meredith Montgomery <mmontgomery@levado.to> writes:
>> I once used a very cool program that would parse a type declaration and
>> spell it out in English. For example, given
>>
>> int* x
>>
>> it would say something like
>>
>> x is a pointer to an int.
>>
>> I can't find the name of such program, so I can't install it again.
>> I'm sure you know which one it is. Can you jog my memory? Thank
>> you!
>
> cdecl, also available via a web interface at https://cdecl.org/

Oh, of course it had to have gone to the web. Thanks very much, Keith.

Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

<d100098c-8bcf-4da0-8c18-d184c0ab9710n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18817&group=comp.lang.c#18817

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:49:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: thiago.a...@gmail.com (Thiago Adams)
 by: Thiago Adams - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:49 UTC

On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:46:09 AM UTC-3, Meredith Montgomery wrote:
> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Meredith Montgomery <mmont...@levado.to> writes:
> >> I once used a very cool program that would parse a type declaration and
> >> spell it out in English. For example, given
> >>
> >> int* x
> >>
> >> it would say something like
> >>
> >> x is a pointer to an int.
> >>
> >> I can't find the name of such program, so I can't install it again.
> >> I'm sure you know which one it is. Can you jog my memory? Thank
> >> you!
> >
> > cdecl, also available via a web interface at https://cdecl.org/
> Oh, of course it had to have gone to the web. Thanks very much, Keith.

A simplified version can be found at the book "C Programming Language"

Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

<87h7czzlrn.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18818&group=comp.lang.c#18818

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:14:20 -0700
sha1:d/Lwz8S3dZ31Uld7cOUK7Lcz5Dc=
 by: Keith Thompson - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:14 UTC

Thiago Adams <thiago.adams@gmail.com> writes:
> On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:46:09 AM UTC-3, Meredith Montgomery wrote:
>> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > cdecl, also available via a web interface at https://cdecl.org/
>> Oh, of course it had to have gone to the web. Thanks very much, Keith.
>
> A simplified version can be found at the book "C Programming Language"

In case it wasn't clear, cdecl can still be installed as a program to be
run locally; the web site hasn't replaced it. On Ubuntu and other
Debian derivatives, `apt-get install cdecl`. Or you can build it from
source: https://github.com/ridiculousfish/cdecl-blocks (there are
probably other versions out there).

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

<86bl37ip1g.fsf@levado.to>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18819&group=comp.lang.c#18819

From: mmontgom...@levado.to (Meredith Montgomery)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:55:39 -0300
 by: Meredith Montgomery - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:55 UTC

Thiago Adams <thiago.adams@gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:46:09 AM UTC-3, Meredith Montgomery wrote:
>> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > cdecl, also available via a web interface at https://cdecl.org/
>> Oh, of course it had to have gone to the web. Thanks very much, Keith.
>
> A simplified version can be found at the book "C Programming Language"

Thanks. That's dcl, section 5.12.

Re: what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?

<865ytfiozv.fsf@levado.to>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=18820&group=comp.lang.c#18820

From: mmontgom...@levado.to (Meredith Montgomery)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:56:36 -0300
 by: Meredith Montgomery - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:56 UTC

Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:

> Thiago Adams <thiago.adams@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Oh, of course it had to have gone to the web. Thanks very much, Keith.
>>
>> A simplified version can be found at the book "C Programming Language"
>
> In case it wasn't clear, cdecl can still be installed as a program to be
> run locally; the web site hasn't replaced it. On Ubuntu and other
> Debian derivatives, `apt-get install cdecl`. Or you can build it from
> source: https://github.com/ridiculousfish/cdecl-blocks (there are
> probably other versions out there).

That was clear. I already have it ready to run from my shell. Thanks!

devel / comp.lang.c / what is that cool program to pronounce a type declaration?