Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: C galore
From: mutazi...@gmail.com (muta...@gmail.com)
 by: muta...@gmail.com - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 18:30 UTC

Some time ago we discussed a "pure C" system.

I have now done "proof of concept" for PDOS-generic,
which is an operating system written in C90.

It makes use of a hardware abstraction layer, a
pseudo-bios, written using a host C library, and itself
C90.

The BIOS exports its C library to the OS, and the OS
independently exports its C library to applications,
meaning they are very small executables.

The end result is that you have a pure C90 MSDOS-like
environment that you can take anywhere, and everything
runs at native CPU speed, with no emulator required. The
disk is still emulated though.

You can see the main source code is available here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/pdos/gitcode/ci/master/tree/generic/pdos.c

and Windows executables can be obtained from the
bottom of http://pdos.org

I'm interested in any technical feedback.

BFN. Paul.