Don't compare floating point numbers solely for equality.

devel / comp.lang.c / big ascii mistake

SubjectAuthor
* big ascii mistakefir
+* Re: big ascii mistakeLynn McGuire
|+* Re: big ascii mistakeScott Lurndal
||`- Re: big ascii mistakeLynn McGuire
|+* Re: big ascii mistakeVir Campestris
||+- Re: big ascii mistakeMalcolm McLean
||`* Re: big ascii mistakefir
|| `* Re: big ascii mistakeBen Bacarisse
||  `* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||   `* Re: big ascii mistakeMalcolm McLean
||    +* Re: big ascii mistakeDavid Brown
||    |`- Re: big ascii mistakefir
||    `* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||     `* Re: big ascii mistakeVir Campestris
||      `* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||       +* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||       |+- Re: big ascii mistakefir
||       |`- Re: big ascii mistakeKaz Kylheku
||       `* Re: big ascii mistakeVir Campestris
||        `* Re: big ascii mistakeEd Prochak
||         `* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||          `* Re: big ascii mistakeRichard Harnden
||           `* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||            `* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||             `* Re: big ascii mistakefir
||              `- Re: big ascii mistakefir
|`* Re: big ascii mistakeSiri Cruise
| `- Re: big ascii mistakeKeith Thompson
+- Re: big ascii mistakeLynn McGuire
`- Re: big ascii mistakeglenndk

Pages:12
big ascii mistake

<be4637be-d95a-41a1-ba76-340062c92ad5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20426&group=comp.lang.c#20426

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 02:09:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: big ascii mistake
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:09 UTC

i realized totay morning that 'unifying' the text based "-" (so called dash) and math based "-" (minus sign) is big mistake in ascii ...this is something a bit like using "O" sign for both 0 and O

i will maybe not even wider explain why its big mistake as i think its somewhat understood (in c for example it removes a dash sign from normal usage when
you really would like it)

the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by mending it i mean introducing usage of dashes in c (by introducing i mean if i would write
compiler but want base it on ascii can i introduce dashes (like allow them in
identifiers or some syntax constructions) without reaching for unicode?
Is there something maybe in thoise ">127" or "<32" fields which i could use for dash?

Re: big ascii mistake

<stugi1$8q5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20436&group=comp.lang.c#20436

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: big ascii mistake
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 13:33:20 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:33 UTC

On 2/8/2022 4:09 AM, fir wrote:
> i realized totay morning that 'unifying' the text based "-" (so called dash) and math based "-" (minus sign) is big mistake in ascii ...this is something a bit like using "O" sign for both 0 and O
>
> i will maybe not even wider explain why its big mistake as i think its somewhat understood (in c for example it removes a dash sign from normal usage when
> you really would like it)
>
> the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by mending it i mean introducing usage of dashes in c (by introducing i mean if i would write
> compiler but want base it on ascii can i introduce dashes (like allow them in
> identifiers or some syntax constructions) without reaching for unicode?
> Is there something maybe in thoise ">127" or "<32" fields which i could use for dash?

You would immediately conflict with UTF-8 as there is no designation
whether is a text file is ASCII or UTF-8. I assume that all text files
are now UTF-8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

Changing ASCII at this point and time is not going to happen.

Lynn

Re: big ascii mistake

<OVzMJ.19838$H_t7.17883@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20437&group=comp.lang.c#20437

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 19:56:30 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 19:56 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>On 2/8/2022 4:09 AM, fir wrote:
>> i realized totay morning that 'unifying' the text based "-" (so called dash) and math based "-" (minus sign) is big mistake in ascii ...this is something a bit like using "O" sign for both 0 and O
>>
>> i will maybe not even wider explain why its big mistake as i think its somewhat understood (in c for example it removes a dash sign from normal usage when
>> you really would like it)
>>
>> the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by mending it i mean introducing usage of dashes in c (by introducing i mean if i would write
>> compiler but want base it on ascii can i introduce dashes (like allow them in
>> identifiers or some syntax constructions) without reaching for unicode?
>> Is there something maybe in thoise ">127" or "<32" fields which i could use for dash?
>
>You would immediately conflict with UTF-8 as there is no designation
>whether is a text file is ASCII or UTF-8. I assume that all text files
>are now UTF-8.

In fact, there is such a designation, but it is optional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Re: big ascii mistake

<stup6m$7r9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20438&group=comp.lang.c#20438

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:00:53 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:00 UTC

> On 2/8/2022 4:09 AM, fir wrote:
>> i realized totay morning that 'unifying' the text based "-" (so called
>> dash) and math based "-" (minus sign) is big mistake in ascii ...this
>> is something a bit like using "O" sign for both 0 and O
>>
>> i will maybe not even wider explain why its big mistake as i think its
>> somewhat understood (in c for example it removes a dash sign from
>> normal usage when
>> you really would like it)
>>
>> the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by
>> mending it i mean introducing usage of dashes in c (by introducing i
>> mean if i would write
>> compiler but want base it on ascii can i introduce dashes (like allow
>> them in
>> identifiers or some syntax constructions) without reaching for unicode?
>> Is there something maybe in thoise ">127" or "<32" fields which i
>> could use for dash?

Look in those 127 characters, and you'll find there are nowhere near
enough characters for the use we make of them.

I'm in the UK, and the currency symbol is £ - pound. Not to be confused
with #, the hash sign, which Americans sometimes call pound...

That £ isn't in the first 127, and we used to have regional variations
of the 7-bit character set replacing things we don't use much with some
we do.

It so happens someone in another group pointed me at a 1950 exam paper
which involved UK money. In those days the currency was the pound,
divide into 20 shillings, each divided into 12 pence.

You could write a pound: £1.
Or a pound and 2s: £1/2. Or 1/2/- is also acceptable.
Or 2 shillings and 6 pence: 2/6d.

Writing arithmetic with the slash we always use for division instead of
÷, was a pain in the ****. But there's no easy way to type ÷ (unicode
F7), so we take a shortcut.

On 08/02/2022 19:33, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> You would immediately conflict with UTF-8 as there is no designation
> whether is a text file is ASCII or UTF-8.  I assume that all text files
> are now UTF-8.
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
>
> Changing ASCII at this point and time is not going to happen.

In a way we _have_ changed ASCII. We've extended it, dropped the
regional variations, and called it Unicode.

But assuming they are all UTF-8 is dangerous... especially if you're
looking at old archives.

Andy

Re: big ascii mistake

<a13c9399-02b4-4b24-81e7-276b254edd46n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20439&group=comp.lang.c#20439

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:13:50 -0800 (PST)
From: malcolm....@gmail.com (Malcolm McLean)
 by: Malcolm McLean - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:13 UTC

On Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 22:01:27 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:

> But assuming they are all UTF-8 is dangerous... especially if you're
> looking at old archives.

You can check if a file is UTF8. Whilst mathematically there is a chance
of a false positive, if the file contains more than a few non-ASCII characters,
the chance of accidentally conforming to UTF8 drops to almost zero.

Re: big ascii mistake

<c7da3436-4228-45f9-8b4d-0588e1423e45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20440&group=comp.lang.c#20440

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:31:48 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:31 UTC

wtorek, 8 lutego 2022 o 23:01:27 UTC+1 Vir Campestris napisał(a):
> > On 2/8/2022 4:09 AM, fir wrote:
> >> i realized totay morning that 'unifying' the text based "-" (so called
> >> dash) and math based "-" (minus sign) is big mistake in ascii ...this
> >> is something a bit like using "O" sign for both 0 and O
> >>
> >> i will maybe not even wider explain why its big mistake as i think its
> >> somewhat understood (in c for example it removes a dash sign from
> >> normal usage when
> >> you really would like it)
> >>
> >> the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by
> >> mending it i mean introducing usage of dashes in c (by introducing i
> >> mean if i would write
> >> compiler but want base it on ascii can i introduce dashes (like allow
> >> them in
> >> identifiers or some syntax constructions) without reaching for unicode?
> >> Is there something maybe in thoise ">127" or "<32" fields which i
> >> could use for dash?
> Look in those 127 characters, and you'll find there are nowhere near
> enough characters for the use we make of them.
>
> I'm in the UK, and the currency symbol is £ - pound. Not to be confused
> with #, the hash sign, which Americans sometimes call pound...
>
> That £ isn't in the first 127, and we used to have regional variations
> of the 7-bit character set replacing things we don't use much with some
> we do.
>
> It so happens someone in another group pointed me at a 1950 exam paper
> which involved UK money. In those days the currency was the pound,
> divide into 20 shillings, each divided into 12 pence.
>
> You could write a pound: £1.
> Or a pound and 2s: £1/2. Or 1/2/- is also acceptable.
> Or 2 shillings and 6 pence: 2/6d.
>
> Writing arithmetic with the slash we always use for division instead of
> ÷, was a pain in the ****. But there's no easy way to type ÷ (unicode
> F7), so we take a shortcut.
> On 08/02/2022 19:33, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >
> > You would immediately conflict with UTF-8 as there is no designation
> > whether is a text file is ASCII or UTF-8. I assume that all text files
> > are now UTF-8.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
> >
> > Changing ASCII at this point and time is not going to happen.
> >
> In a way we _have_ changed ASCII. We've extended it, dropped the
> regional variations, and called it Unicode.
>
> But assuming they are all UTF-8 is dangerous... especially if you're
> looking at old archives.
>
> Andy

and btw there is this dash sign in utf-8 ? whit is its code how code in bytes?

im writing my extended c (or micromodular c or how to call it, may be called in various naming) compiler (slowly but slowly, im not in hurry) and i feel a lack of few characters and this dash (not to confuse with minus sign) is one of them

maybe indeed i will just take few from unicode and 'add' them as a language important operators
(i dont need many but might add 5-10 or sometging)

Re: big ascii mistake

<877da5nek0.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20441&group=comp.lang.c#20441

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 23:06:55 +0000
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:06 UTC

fir <profesor.fir@gmail.com> writes:

> and btw there is this dash sign in utf-8 ?

There are several dashes (for example, a figure dash, an en dash and an
em dash) as well as more than one hyphen. There is also a mathematical
operator symbol for minus.

--
Ben.

Re: big ascii mistake

<508c4aaf-b6bf-4c69-921e-d88dd0068c90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20442&group=comp.lang.c#20442

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:22:03 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 23:22 UTC

środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 00:07:30 UTC+1 Ben Bacarisse napisał(a):
> fir <profes...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > and btw there is this dash sign in utf-8 ?
> There are several dashes (for example, a figure dash, an en dash and an
> em dash) as well as more than one hyphen. There is also a mathematical
> operator symbol for minus.

what i press on keybord, - , i think is minus sign..i need a dash for text like in semi-final half-life etc..
i need to one for minus and one for this dash ... i think text dash should ba somewhat bigger probably than minus sign

Re: big ascii mistake

<76deb926-ab33-4ad7-b93e-cd7bf2151d03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20443&group=comp.lang.c#20443

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 16:28:25 -0800 (PST)
From: malcolm....@gmail.com (Malcolm McLean)
 by: Malcolm McLean - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:28 UTC

On Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 23:22:31 UTC, fir wrote:
> środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 00:07:30 UTC+1 Ben Bacarisse napisał(a):
> > fir <profes...@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > and btw there is this dash sign in utf-8 ?
> > There are several dashes (for example, a figure dash, an en dash and an
> > em dash) as well as more than one hyphen. There is also a mathematical
> > operator symbol for minus.
> >
> what i press on keybord, - , i think is minus sign..i need a dash for text like in semi-final half-life etc..
> i need to one for minus and one for this dash ... i think text dash should ba somewhat bigger probably than minus sign

That's a hyphen. A hyphen connects two words to make a compound, like semi-final.
A dash is a punctuation mark. It indicates a short pause. Generally it is used instead
of parentheses, but if the closing parethesis is at the end of a sentence, there is no
closing dash.
You type a hypen without any spaces between the two hypenated words, and a dash with
two spaces to separate the dash from the text. In both cases, ASCII 45 (0x2D) can be used,
though ideally a dash is slightly longer than a hyphen.

Re: big ascii mistake

<stv2m1$1kk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20444&group=comp.lang.c#20444

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:42:38 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 00:42 UTC

On 2/8/2022 1:56 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 2/8/2022 4:09 AM, fir wrote:
>>> i realized totay morning that 'unifying' the text based "-" (so called dash) and math based "-" (minus sign) is big mistake in ascii ...this is something a bit like using "O" sign for both 0 and O
>>>
>>> i will maybe not even wider explain why its big mistake as i think its somewhat understood (in c for example it removes a dash sign from normal usage when
>>> you really would like it)
>>>
>>> the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by mending it i mean introducing usage of dashes in c (by introducing i mean if i would write
>>> compiler but want base it on ascii can i introduce dashes (like allow them in
>>> identifiers or some syntax constructions) without reaching for unicode?
>>> Is there something maybe in thoise ">127" or "<32" fields which i could use for dash?
>>
>> You would immediately conflict with UTF-8 as there is no designation
>> whether is a text file is ASCII or UTF-8. I assume that all text files
>> are now UTF-8.
>
> In fact, there is such a designation, but it is optional.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

Yup, the Notepad in Windows 7 did not like it. Or a Notepad like
product that I tried out, been a few years.

Lynn

Re: big ascii mistake

<chine.bleu-7A8DE0.17000708022022@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20445&group=comp.lang.c#20445

From: chine.b...@yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 17:00:08 -0800
 by: Siri Cruise - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 01:00 UTC

In article <stugi1$8q5$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> > the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by mending it
> > i mean introducing

You can start UTF with a Byte Order Mark.

https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=&rct=j&sa=U&url=https://en.wik
ipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark&ved=2ahUKEwjm6sqrtfH1AhWoJEQIHUp9A
cIQFnoECAoQAg&usg=AOvVaw3edScXl944Hw6OGeNE70il

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Re: big ascii mistake

<87mtj0kdxs.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20447&group=comp.lang.c#20447

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 17:48:31 -0800
sha1:9tMhbj9TnlQ+irNW+IY9588CqkM=
 by: Keith Thompson - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 01:48 UTC

Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@yahoo.com> writes:
> In article <stugi1$8q5$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by
>> > mending it i mean introducing
>
> You can start UTF with a Byte Order Mark.
>
> https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=&rct=j&sa=U&url=https://en.wik
> ipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark&ved=2ahUKEwjm6sqrtfH1AhWoJEQIHUp9A
> cIQFnoECAoQAg&usg=AOvVaw3edScXl944Hw6OGeNE70il

Did you mean <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark>?

You can, but it causes problems, particularly on Unix-like systems.

For example, if you want to concatenate two UTF-8 files that don't have
BOMs, you can just concatenate the bytes. If the second file has a BOM,
you have to recognize and delete it (unless you want to have a stray
ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE in the middle of the new file).

A *lot* of software for Unix-like systems makes assumptions that are
broken by BOMs. Just one example, the "tail" command prints the last N
lines of a text file (default N=10); it's not going to add a BOM to its
output.

Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Re: big ascii mistake

<su07i3$58v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20450&group=comp.lang.c#20450

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:12:03 +0100
 by: David Brown - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:12 UTC

On 09/02/2022 01:28, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 23:22:31 UTC, fir wrote:
>> środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 00:07:30 UTC+1 Ben Bacarisse napisał(a):

>>> There are several dashes (for example, a figure dash, an en dash and an
>>> em dash) as well as more than one hyphen. There is also a mathematical
>>> operator symbol for minus.
>>>
>> what i press on keybord, - , i think is minus sign..i need a dash for text like in semi-final half-life etc..
>> i need to one for minus and one for this dash ... i think text dash should ba somewhat bigger probably than minus sign
>>
> That's a hyphen. A hyphen connects two words to make a compound, like semi-final.
> A dash is a punctuation mark. It indicates a short pause. Generally it is used instead
> of parentheses, but if the closing parethesis is at the end of a sentence, there is no
> closing dash.
> You type a hypen without any spaces between the two hypenated words, and a dash with
> two spaces to separate the dash from the text. In both cases, ASCII 45 (0x2D) can be used,
> though ideally a dash is slightly longer than a hyphen.

For more fun, there are at least two common types of dash - the "en
dash" and the "em dash". The "en dash" is a little longer than a
hyphen, and should be as wide as a lower-case "n" in the font. It is
used for ranges, such as "a-z". An "em dash" is as long as an
upper-case "M" in the font, and is used /without/ spaces somewhat like
parentheses or a colon. (If you don't have an em dash symbol, then you
use a shorter dash with spaces.)

In LaTeX, LibreOffice, and some other software, you can get an en dash
by writing "--", and an em dash by writing "---". If you are in maths
mode in LaTeX, then "--" will give you a figure dash, which is basically
like an en dash but with a width matching the digit "0" rather than the
letter "n".

Of course, the "rules" of typography are subject to change, fashion,
language, personal preference, and so on.

And while careful use of dashes can help a document look a little nicer,
they are extremely hard to distinguish and therefore much more
questionable in programming. Can anyone distinguish reliably between these?

a­‐b
a-b
a−b

The first is a Unicode hyphen, the second a hyphen-minus (ASCII 45), the
third is a Unicode minus sign. Would anyone /really/ want a programming
language that treats the first of these as a single identifier and the
second as a subtraction expression?

If a language wants to allow hyphens inside identifiers, then the only
sensible solution I see is to insist that operators such as "-" always
be surrounded by spaces. It's easy to distinguish "a-b" and "a - b".

Re: big ascii mistake

<cb2ecb33-b73f-445a-afe1-344eaeab05d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20454&group=comp.lang.c#20454

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 09:46:09 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:46 UTC

środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 01:28:56 UTC+1 Malcolm McLean napisał(a):
> On Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 23:22:31 UTC, fir wrote:
> > środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 00:07:30 UTC+1 Ben Bacarisse napisał(a):

> > > There are several dashes (for example, a figure dash, an en dash and an
> > > em dash) as well as more than one hyphen. There is also a mathematical
> > > operator symbol for minus.
> > >
> > what i press on keybord, - , i think is minus sign..i need a dash for text like in semi-final half-life etc..
> > i need to one for minus and one for this dash ... i think text dash should ba somewhat bigger probably than minus sign
> >
> That's a hyphen. A hyphen connects two words to make a compound, like semi-final.
> A dash is a punctuation mark. It indicates a short pause. Generally it is used instead
> of parentheses, but if the closing parethesis is at the end of a sentence, there is no
> closing dash.
> You type a hypen without any spaces between the two hypenated words, and a dash with
> two spaces to separate the dash from the text. In both cases, ASCII 45 (0x2D) can be used,
> though ideally a dash is slightly longer than a hyphen.

i first see but i have only partial knowledge on english language..both dash and hypen dont say me too much when i read or write it...in polish there is word "myślnik" for both of them it seems, and "minus sign" (znak minus) fir third (this mathematical one)

what i was saing is mostly that having one - for both minus sign and dash/hypen makes problems ..you cant use dash and hypen when you would need them (especially probably hypen in identifiers but maybe dash also would be handy)

so, after all it seems i need 3 signs for 3 things? is there unicode for them?
if i would write compiler (or give it for someone to be written) i could in fact add them to language, someone would then need write editors allowing them to be put in code from keayboards easily but all in all this is not a big problem i guess
(not that i like unicode so much, im not sure, but dont want to berakl standards so i could just go with that unicode after all)

Re: big ascii mistake

<d4cf2bc4-b452-4470-abe5-f3d8dd840566n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20455&group=comp.lang.c#20455

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:23:10 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:23 UTC

środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 12:12:40 UTC+1 David Brown napisał(a):
> And while careful use of dashes can help a document look a little nicer,
> they are extremely hard to distinguish and therefore much more
> questionable in programming. Can anyone distinguish reliably between these?
>
> a­‐b
> a-b
> a−b
>
> The first is a Unicode hyphen, the second a hyphen-minus (ASCII 45), the
> third is a Unicode minus sign. Would anyone /really/ want a programming
> language that treats the first of these as a single identifier and the
> second as a subtraction expression?

of course, i think i would like 3 of them, this longest is very distinguishable from the two abowe (and i like such long minus though it should be a dash) this first hypen is ok i think it should be maybe the shortest , and mathematical minus or negation (i remember i once wad writing something that suggested that maybe minus and negation should be also two separate, though i not fully remember the course of though ) probably should be of middle length and maybe a bit shifter to right
(i man im not sure if minus and negation introduce as a two but if two then the negation should be shifted to right) anyway hypen shortest, minus middle lenght, dash longest

Re: big ascii mistake

<su1bp0$rpg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20456&group=comp.lang.c#20456

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:30:08 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:30 UTC

On 09/02/2022 17:46, fir wrote:
> so, after all it seems i need 3 signs for 3 things? is there unicode for them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_and_minus_signs

Andy

Re: big ascii mistake

<su1cko$9mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20457&group=comp.lang.c#20457

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:44:55 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:44 UTC

On 2/8/2022 4:09 AM, fir wrote:
> i realized totay morning that 'unifying' the text based "-" (so called dash) and math based "-" (minus sign) is big mistake in ascii ...this is something a bit like using "O" sign for both 0 and O
>
> i will maybe not even wider explain why its big mistake as i think its somewhat understood (in c for example it removes a dash sign from normal usage when
> you really would like it)
>
> the question is is it somewhat possible to mend it some way? by mending it i mean introducing usage of dashes in c (by introducing i mean if i would write
> compiler but want base it on ascii can i introduce dashes (like allow them in
> identifiers or some syntax constructions) without reaching for unicode?
> Is there something maybe in thoise ">127" or "<32" fields which i could use for dash?

BTW, I started programming in 1975 on a Univac 1108, a six bit
character, six byte word, 36 bit word machine. No lower case characters.

I ported our software to the CDC 7600 in 1978, a six bit character, ten
byte word, 60 bit word machine. Also no lower case characters.

Lynn

Re: big ascii mistake

<b6499dec-7eb0-4c4a-a56b-0371fcf54ea7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20458&group=comp.lang.c#20458

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 14:24:57 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:24 UTC

środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 22:30:46 UTC+1 Vir Campestris napisał(a):
> On 09/02/2022 17:46, fir wrote:
> > so, after all it seems i need 3 signs for 3 things? is there unicode for them?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_and_minus_signs
>
> Andy
it still not fully clear to me but it seems i should use this asci one as a minus and find some unicode as a hypen only (it seems (though im not sure) that this asci one they name as hypoen-minus becouse its both hypen and minus...in my context it should be probably only minus)

Re: big ascii mistake

<455c035e-ea83-4ea0-8322-233749beb2c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20459&group=comp.lang.c#20459

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 14:33:45 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:33 UTC

środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 23:25:25 UTC+1 fir napisał(a):
> środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 22:30:46 UTC+1 Vir Campestris napisał(a):
> > On 09/02/2022 17:46, fir wrote:
> > > so, after all it seems i need 3 signs for 3 things? is there unicode for them?
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_and_minus_signs
> >
> > Andy
> it still not fully clear to me but it seems i should use this asci one as a minus and find some unicode as a hypen only (it seems (though im not sure) that this asci one they name as hypoen-minus becouse its both hypen and minus...in my context it should be probably only minus)

is there maybe some specially designed for denoting negation but not subtraction?,
like -2-1-2-3 would denote -2, -1, -2, -3 not subtractions? (same with + as denoting positive but not addition)

in some contexes its quite usefull as i than could pass arguments to function f(-1 -10) without commas (",") otherwise its passing not -1,-10 but -11

Re: big ascii mistake

<d029eae4-e1fe-44e4-a834-363d5cf55e08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20460&group=comp.lang.c#20460

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 14:41:10 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:41 UTC

środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 23:34:10 UTC+1 fir napisał(a):
> środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 23:25:25 UTC+1 fir napisał(a):
> > środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 22:30:46 UTC+1 Vir Campestris napisał(a):
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_and_minus_signs
> > >
> > > Andy
> > it still not fully clear to me but it seems i should use this asci one as a minus and find some unicode as a hypen only (it seems (though im not sure) that this asci one they name as hypoen-minus becouse its both hypen and minus...in my context it should be probably only minus)
> is there maybe some specially designed for denoting negation but not subtraction?,
> like -2-1-2-3 would denote -2, -1, -2, -3 not subtractions? (same with + as denoting positive but not addition)
>
> in some contexes its quite usefull as i than could pass arguments to function f(-1 -10) without commas (",") otherwise its passing not -1,-10 but -11

this negation sign is somewhat disputable becouse it introduces burden of typing it where in old form some may use plain minus sign and uses "formatting", also there is a question if c form is not to much open if someone may write
a = 2 - 7
with a lot of spaces..as for now im not sure, but seem negation sign wopuldnt be bad to have

Re: big ascii mistake

<20220209151117.348@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20461&group=comp.lang.c#20461

From: 480-992-...@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:13:43 -0000 (UTC)
<stugi1$8q5$1@dont-email.me> <stup6m$7r9$1@dont-email.me>
<c7da3436-4228-45f9-8b4d-0588e1423e45n@googlegroups.com>
<877da5nek0.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<508c4aaf-b6bf-4c69-921e-d88dd0068c90n@googlegroups.com>
<76deb926-ab33-4ad7-b93e-cd7bf2151d03n@googlegroups.com>
<cb2ecb33-b73f-445a-afe1-344eaeab05d7n@googlegroups.com>
<su1bp0$rpg$1@dont-email.me>
<b6499dec-7eb0-4c4a-a56b-0371fcf54ea7n@googlegroups.com>
<455c035e-ea83-4ea0-8322-233749beb2c1n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:13 UTC

On 2022-02-09, fir <profesor.fir@gmail.com> wrote:
> środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 23:25:25 UTC+1 fir napisał(a):
>> środa, 9 lutego 2022 o 22:30:46 UTC+1 Vir Campestris napisał(a):
>> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_and_minus_signs
>> >
>> > Andy
>> it still not fully clear to me but it seems i should use this asci one as a minus and find some unicode as a hypen only (it seems (though im not sure) that this asci one they name as hypoen-minus becouse its both hypen and minus...in my context it should be probably only minus)
>
> is there maybe some specially designed for denoting negation but not subtraction?,
> like -2-1-2-3 would denote -2, -1, -2, -3 not subtractions? (same with + as denoting positive but not addition)
>
> in some contexes its quite usefull as i than could pass arguments to
> function f(-1 -10) without commas (",") otherwise its passing not
> -1,-10 but -11

Have you heard of Lisp?

;; - is part of the numeric token, not a unary minus:

[1]> (+ -1 -2)
-3

;; 1-2 is a symbol like abc: we can use it as a variable:

[2]> (let ((1-2 "abc")) (list 1-2))
("abc")

Re: big ascii mistake

<su4045$t49$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20462&group=comp.lang.c#20462

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:29:41 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:29 UTC

On 09/02/2022 22:24, fir wrote:
> it still not fully clear to me but it seems i should use this asci one as a minus and find some unicode as a hypen only (it seems (though im not sure) that this asci one they name as hypoen-minus becouse its both hypen and minus...in my context it should be probably only minus)

While the characters exist I wouldn't recommend using them. Too much
chance of confusion.

Andy

Re: big ascii mistake

<86ab8b9a-7693-4817-a418-b5bd4222e0b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20463&group=comp.lang.c#20463

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!ecngs!feeder2.ecngs.de!178.20.174.213.MISMATCH!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 13:32:11 -0800 (PST)
From: edproc...@gmail.com (Ed Prochak)
 by: Ed Prochak - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 21:32 UTC

On Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 4:30:12 PM UTC-5, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 09/02/2022 22:24, fir wrote:
> > it still not fully clear to me but it seems i should use this asci one as a minus and find some unicode as a hypen only (it seems (though im not sure) that this asci one they name as hypoen-minus becouse its both hypen and minus...in my context it should be probably only minus)
> While the characters exist I wouldn't recommend using them. Too much
> chance of confusion.
>
> Andy
I agree with Andy.

In a C like language that supports a hyphen character and a minus character,
there has to be a clear way for the HUMAN programmer to distinguish them.

c=half-life

Is that c assigned the value of the variable half minus the value of the variable life?
or
Is that c assigned the value of the variable half-life?

fir, it is your language so your choice. But you are going to need to control the font as well to make this work.
I suggest the benefit (allowing hyphenated variable names) is not worth the cost of new character assignments.

Ed

Re: big ascii mistake

<aef32fec-d34a-4480-9f81-ef850e23301en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20464&group=comp.lang.c#20464

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:19:39 -0800 (PST)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 01:19 UTC

piątek, 11 lutego 2022 o 22:32:37 UTC+1 Ed Prochak napisał(a):
> On Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 4:30:12 PM UTC-5, Vir Campestris wrote:
> > On 09/02/2022 22:24, fir wrote:
> > > it still not fully clear to me but it seems i should use this asci one as a minus and find some unicode as a hypen only (it seems (though im not sure) that this asci one they name as hypoen-minus becouse its both hypen and minus...in my context it should be probably only minus)
> > While the characters exist I wouldn't recommend using them. Too much
> > chance of confusion.
> >
> > Andy
> I agree with Andy.
>
> In a C like language that supports a hyphen character and a minus character,
> there has to be a clear way for the HUMAN programmer to distinguish them.
>
> c=half-life
>
> Is that c assigned the value of the variable half minus the value of the variable life?
> or
> Is that c assigned the value of the variable half-life?
>
> fir, it is your language so your choice. But you are going to need to control the font as well to make this work.
> I suggest the benefit (allowing hyphenated variable names) is not worth the cost of new character assignments.
>
> Ed

in case of zero and O it showed to eb no problem (to have two of them), imo same is with minus and hypen as to distinguishability of the two ...they are differend things... now the situation is just that there is no hypen in c and i think having this would be handy

there is also a question what else to add to the basic set... i wouldnt wnat to add very many many new chars probably but i would add like 7 or so ...*maybe i even would and more but probably the first added would be of most importance (most commonly used)

some propositions? (which one to add)

probably there could be added:
- hypen
- middle dot, middle cross
- 4 arrows
- degree sign
- maybe some new parentheses like << >>, round one, and brackets , like < > but more vertical..
in fact more can be gathered and i should maybe chose by need of them to the given language constructions maybe...in fact all unicode may be added as it maybe already added but he wuestion is what should have meaningfull meaning in form of what construction and this is to see

Re: big ascii mistake

<su8326$1fa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20465&group=comp.lang.c#20465

From: richard....@gmail.com (Richard Harnden)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:44:21 +0000
<stugi1$8q5$1@dont-email.me> <stup6m$7r9$1@dont-email.me>
<c7da3436-4228-45f9-8b4d-0588e1423e45n@googlegroups.com>
<877da5nek0.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<508c4aaf-b6bf-4c69-921e-d88dd0068c90n@googlegroups.com>
<76deb926-ab33-4ad7-b93e-cd7bf2151d03n@googlegroups.com>
<cb2ecb33-b73f-445a-afe1-344eaeab05d7n@googlegroups.com>
<su1bp0$rpg$1@dont-email.me>
<b6499dec-7eb0-4c4a-a56b-0371fcf54ea7n@googlegroups.com>
<su4045$t49$1@dont-email.me>
<86ab8b9a-7693-4817-a418-b5bd4222e0b8n@googlegroups.com>
<aef32fec-d34a-4480-9f81-ef850e23301en@googlegroups.com>
 by: Richard Harnden - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 10:44 UTC

On 12/02/2022 01:19, fir wrote:
> piątek, 11 lutego 2022 o 22:32:37 UTC+1 Ed Prochak napisał(a):
>>> While the characters exist I wouldn't recommend using them. Too much
>>> chance of confusion.
>>>
>>> Andy
>> I agree with Andy.
>>
>> In a C like language that supports a hyphen character and a minus character,
>> there has to be a clear way for the HUMAN programmer to distinguish them.
>>
>> c=half-life
>>
>> Is that c assigned the value of the variable half minus the value of the variable life?
>> or
>> Is that c assigned the value of the variable half-life?
>>
>> fir, it is your language so your choice. But you are going to need to control the font as well to make this work.
>> I suggest the benefit (allowing hyphenated variable names) is not worth the cost of new character assignments.
>>
>> Ed
>
> in case of zero and O it showed to eb no problem (to have two of them), imo same is with minus and hypen as to distinguishability of the two ...they are differend things... now the situation is just that there is no hypen in c and i think having this would be handy
>
> there is also a question what else to add to the basic set... i wouldnt wnat to add very many many new chars probably but i would add like 7 or so ...*maybe i even would and more but probably the first added would be of most importance (most commonly used)
>
> some propositions? (which one to add)
>
> probably there could be added:
> - hypen
> - middle dot, middle cross
> - 4 arrows
> - degree sign
> - maybe some new parentheses like << >>, round one, and brackets , like < > but more vertical..
> in fact more can be gathered and i should maybe chose by need of them to the given language constructions maybe...in fact all unicode may be added as it maybe already added but he wuestion is what should have meaningfull meaning in form of what construction and this is to see

None of these things exist on your keyboard, so you'll need to reinvent
trigraphs. Or quadgraphs.

Nobody will thank you for that.