You canna change the laws of physics, Captain; I've got to have thirty minutes!

devel / comp.lang.c / Re: function declarations are evil

SubjectAuthor
* function declarations are evilfir
`* Re: function declarations are evilfir
 `* Re: function declarations are evilVir Campestris
  `- Re: function declarations are evilfir

1
function declarations are evil

<0167c2c5-03ad-4f9b-b047-84723d9c4326n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21711&group=comp.lang.c#21711

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 14:36:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: function declarations are evil
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Fri, 20 May 2022 21:36 UTC

i probably dont noticed this simple fact but its worth
clearly stating:

i rarelu use function declarations in my code
(i mean that inside ones, yhis is those of my own
function in given module put up in file to be visible)
but sometimes i use - and if i then change a name
of function or declaration it will compile but
then you get what may be name "linker crash"
this is something that resembles crasj, and no
info what symbol is a reason ofthis linker crash -its just terrible

i dont indighted this case but may seen its terrible, i dont
know if other compilers report this better or something but
as what i goiy here its terrible

Re: function declarations are evil

<cdce8667-c769-4fff-9586-81d7fcc79521n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21726&group=comp.lang.c#21726

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 02:27:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: function declarations are evil
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Tue, 24 May 2022 09:27 UTC

piątek, 20 maja 2022 o 23:36:10 UTC+2 fir napisał(a):
> i probably dont noticed this simple fact but its worth
> clearly stating:
>
> i rarelu use function declarations in my code
> (i mean that inside ones, yhis is those of my own
> function in given module put up in file to be visible)
> but sometimes i use - and if i then change a name
> of function or declaration it will compile but
> then you get what may be name "linker crash"
> this is something that resembles crasj, and no
> info what symbol is a reason ofthis linker crash -its just terrible
>
> i dont indighted this case but may seen its terrible, i dont
> know if other compilers report this better or something but
> as what i goiy here its terrible

i remember i once wrote a post here "biggest c mistake" or som,ething like that, it was one of
my firsts posts here 10 years ago iirc ..i dont clearly remember but it was on thing that given
symbil exported from module has a kinda global scope or something liek that (i dont remember
in fact) overaly the lack of type info in symbols defined making a need of using damn headers
is a big mistake, this affair with 'forward' declarations is in fact another one, both are a big deal and
practical annoyity as hell

in fact the c standard comitee could change it imo as it would not break old codes so its probably
worth to change it - standarize type info to be sewed in dlls and drop the obligation of forward declarations

Re: function declarations are evil

<t6jerm$qqh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21730&group=comp.lang.c#21730

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 21:23:18 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 24 May 2022 20:23 UTC

On 24/05/2022 10:27, fir wrote:
> i remember i once wrote a post here "biggest c mistake" or som,ething like that, it was one of
> my firsts posts here 10 years ago iirc ..i dont clearly remember but it was on thing that given
> symbil exported from module has a kinda global scope or something liek that (i dont remember
> in fact) overaly the lack of type info in symbols defined making a need of using damn headers
> is a big mistake, this affair with 'forward' declarations is in fact another one, both are a big deal and
> practical annoyity as hell
>
> in fact the c standard comitee could change it imo as it would not break old codes so its probably
> worth to change it - standarize type info to be sewed in dlls and drop the obligation of forward declarations

If you've been writing C code for 10 years you should have realised by
now that a DLL is a Windows feature, and not relevant to other operating
systems.

Andy

Re: function declarations are evil

<5e4a5240-db60-4544-8b15-db43b09136c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21731&group=comp.lang.c#21731

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 13:38:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: profesor...@gmail.com (fir)
 by: fir - Tue, 24 May 2022 20:38 UTC

wtorek, 24 maja 2022 o 22:23:32 UTC+2 Vir Campestris napisał(a):
> On 24/05/2022 10:27, fir wrote:
> > i remember i once wrote a post here "biggest c mistake" or som,ething like that, it was one of
> > my firsts posts here 10 years ago iirc ..i dont clearly remember but it was on thing that given
> > symbil exported from module has a kinda global scope or something liek that (i dont remember
> > in fact) overaly the lack of type info in symbols defined making a need of using damn headers
> > is a big mistake, this affair with 'forward' declarations is in fact another one, both are a big deal and
> > practical annoyity as hell
> >
> > in fact the c standard comitee could change it imo as it would not break old codes so its probably
> > worth to change it - standarize type info to be sewed in dlls and drop the obligation of forward declarations
> If you've been writing C code for 10 years you should have realised by
> now that a DLL is a Windows feature, and not relevant to other operating
> systems.

and so what? many systems need to have its analogon .. i speak on dlls as i use windows

in c world its a basic thing as its basic module so its very important and basic thing