From: sch...@gmx.de (wolfgang bauer (D))
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Codeblocks in Linux: Syntaxhighlighting and own/custom
Languagedefintions
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 17:41:12 +0200
 by: wolfgang bauer (D) - Fri, 27 May 2022 15:41 UTC

Hi

I hope this place is not too unsuitable.

Can someone explain something about Codeblocks (Version 20.03 in Linux-Mint 19.3) ?

I integrated a new language for the Syntaxhighlighting-System in Codeblocks.
But because it is not possible, to do that within the Program, i proceeded as follows:

In the directory "/usr/share/codeblocks/lexers" I made a copy from one of the language-
definition-Files (xml).

The I renamed that File with the name of my new language.

And then I changed within that File at "Lexer name" the Entry into the new name.

After that I was able, to select my new language in Codeblocks here:

Settings/Editor/Syntaxhighlighting

There I am able to change things according to my ideas. And this *works*. So that
is not my "problem".

My question is, *where* are the changes stored ?

They don't appear within the mentioned new File.

And if I edit this File, these changes doesn't appear in the Codeblocks-Program
and they don't have any effect.

I have no clue, where Codeblock stores this data and why it behaves in a way that
strikes me as illogical and unintuitive.

This is not a criticism of this really good IDE, but I want to understand the
mechanism and whether my approach may be inappropriate here.

--
Gruß, Greetings

Re: Codeblocks in Linux: Syntaxhighlighting and own/custom Languagedefintions

<t6qu8q$3psii$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21750&group=comp.lang.c#21750

From: inva...@invalid.net (Jack Lemmon)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Languagedefintions
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 17:27:17 +0100
 by: Jack Lemmon - Fri, 27 May 2022 16:27 UTC

On 27/05/2022 16:41, wolfgang bauer (D) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hope this place is not too unsuitable.
>
> Can someone explain something about Codeblocks (Version 20.03 in Linux-Mint 19.3) ?
>
> I integrated a new language for the Syntaxhighlighting-System in Codeblocks.
> But because it is not possible, to do that within the Program, i proceeded as follows:
>
> In the directory "/usr/share/codeblocks/lexers" I made a copy from one of the language-
> definition-Files (xml).
>
> The I renamed that File with the name of my new language.
>
> And then I changed within that File at "Lexer name" the Entry into the new name.
>
> After that I was able, to select my new language in Codeblocks here:
>
> Settings/Editor/Syntaxhighlighting
>
> There I am able to change things according to my ideas. And this *works*. So that
> is not my "problem".
>
> My question is, *where* are the changes stored ?
>
> They don't appear within the mentioned new File.
>
> And if I edit this File, these changes doesn't appear in the Codeblocks-Program
> and they don't have any effect.
>
> I have no clue, where Codeblock stores this data and why it behaves in a way that
> strikes me as illogical and unintuitive.
>
> This is not a criticism of this really good IDE, but I want to understand the
> mechanism and whether my approach may be inappropriate here.

Did you try asking this on: <https://forums.codeblocks.org/>

They are the best people to answer such questions.

The alternative editor to use is VS Code. It works better than most
editors currently available on Linux.

<https://code.visualstudio.com/download#>

You can select the .deb version and install it or you can search in the
Linux repo and install from there.

Re: Codeblocks in Linux: Syntaxhighlighting and own/custom Languagedefintions

<t6tp7e$ufs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21758&group=comp.lang.c#21758

From: sch...@gmx.de (wolfgang bauer (D))
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Languagedefintions
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 20:21:34 +0200
 by: wolfgang bauer (D) - Sat, 28 May 2022 18:21 UTC

27.05.22 , 18:27 , Jack Lemmon:

> Did you try asking this on: <https://forums.codeblocks.org/>

I will ask there.

> The alternative editor to use is VS Code. It works better than most
> editors currently available on Linux.

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried it, but I prefer Codeblocks and Codelite. Both IDEs have integrated Editors,
which are working well and are mostly easy configurable.

--
Gruß, Greetings