From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: Does everyone agree with this halt status decision?
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 11:33:24 -0500
<teu2j9$1lrc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ujwQK.76399$9Yp5.72581@fx12.iad>
<teu7rd$2m4vi$1@dont-email.me> <6uxQK.7688$ITv5.5137@fx06.iad>
<teuc5b$2p8o9$1@dont-email.me>
<7627e1b2-7b55-4bbb-93bf-4200caf48f65n@googlegroups.com>
<tevi5s$2skl8$1@dont-email.me>
<22703981-6a63-4e1d-881a-84d89e8d57e6n@googlegroups.com>
<tevjbh$2skl8$5@dont-email.me>
<2237a944-e454-493d-99d2-f0ecbd541282n@googlegroups.com>
<tevngn$2skl8$10@dont-email.me> <4uJQK.34528$JZK5.6770@fx03.iad>
<tevob4$2skl8$11@dont-email.me> <%AJQK.236585$iiS8.96299@fx17.iad>
<tevrc5$2tib4$1@dont-email.me> <zrKQK.245257$6Il8.64901@fx14.iad>
<tevt9m$2tib4$2@dont-email.me> <uSKQK.156572$Ny99.24890@fx16.iad>
<tevtvj$2tib4$3@dont-email.me> <D3LQK.12800$IRd5.6774@fx10.iad>
<tevvim$2tib4$4@dont-email.me> <UyLQK.30526$elEa.27583@fx09.iad>
<tf010g$2tib4$5@dont-email.me> <jSLQK.4641$NNy7.2496@fx39.iad>
<tf0291$2tib4$6@dont-email.me> <p5MQK.11639$51Rb.7647@fx45.iad>
 by: olcott - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 16:33 UTC

On 9/3/2022 12:24 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Right, but your "example" didn't, and this dependency is the case
>>> that breaks your "proof" and definitions.
>> The correct simulation of the input by H(P,P) is the simulation of
>> this input at the same point in the execution trace where H is invoked.
>>
>> (2 + 3) * 5   !=   2 + (3 * 5) // order matters.
>>

> Red Herring. Simulate(P,P) is ALWAYS the same (for a given P)
> irrespective of "where" that simulation is done, at least if H is a
> computation, and if it isn't it can't be a decider.

Although H must be a computation all sequences of configurations that do
not halt are not computations**. The behavior of H is the same no matter
where it is invoked.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Does everyone agree with this halt status decision?

<tf3pmh$3ffoh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=22954&group=comp.lang.c#22954

Followup: comp.theory