You might have mail.

programming / alt.lang.asm / Prevent software from running on new computers or virtual machines.

SubjectAuthor
* Prevent software from running on new computers or virtual machines.skybuck2000
+- Re: Prevent software from running on new computers or virtualMelzzzzz
+* Re: Prevent software from running on new computers or virtualRod Pemberton
|`- Re: Prevent software from running on new computers or virtual machines.skybuck2000
`- Re: Prevent software from running on new computers or virtualRobert Prins

1
Subject: Prevent software from running on new computers or virtual machines.
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 18:04 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 10:04:13 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
View all headers
Hi,

Let's suppose you want to create software that can only run on old computers and not on new computers and not on virtual machines ?!

What kind of programming tricks would you use to try and avoid the software from being run on newer computers or virtual machines ? :)

Bye,
  Skybuck =D

From: Melzzzzz
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 18:15 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
From: Melzz...@zzzzz.com (Melzzzzz)
Subject: Re: Prevent software from running on new computers or virtual
machines.
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 18:15:12 GMT
View all headers
On 2019-12-31, skybuck2000@hotmail.com <skybuck2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Let's suppose you want to create software that can only run on old
computers and not on new computers and not on virtual machines ?!

What kind of programming tricks would you use to try and avoid the
software from being run on newer computers or virtual machines ? :)

CPUID?

U ničemu ja ne uživam kao u svom statusu INVALIDA -- Zli Zec
Svi smo svedoci - oko 3 godine intenzivne propagande je dovoljno da jedan narod poludi --  Zli Zec
Na divljem zapadu i nije bilo tako puno nasilja, upravo zato jer su svi
bili naoruzani. -- Mladen Gogala

From: Rod Pemberton
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 08:01 UTC
From: nomaili...@trgzxcqvbe.cpm (Rod Pemberton)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
machines.
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 03:01:28 -0500
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 10:04:13 -0800 (PST)
skybuck2000@hotmail.com wrote:

Let's suppose you want to create software that can only run on old
computers and not on new computers and not on virtual machines ?!

What kind of programming tricks would you use to try and avoid the
software from being run on newer computers or virtual machines ? :)

I started looking into this because I didn't want some software I wrote
to be used under emulation.  However, everyone on alt.os.development
convinced me that if the software ran properly under emulation, there
was no point in blocking it.

Anyway, I didn't find any "universal" solution.  I.e., a different
technique was needed to block each emulator or simulator.  This made
this approach exceptionally time consuming and cumbersome.  It also
means that each time a new emulator/simulator comes into existence, a
new blocking technique would need to be identified.

Rod Pemberton
--
"It's OK to be White." <-- investigated by FBI as a hate crime
"Black Lives Matter." <-- not being investigated ...

From: Robert Prins
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 11:50 UTC
From: rob...@prino.org (Robert Prins)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
machines.
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 11:50:41 +0000
On 2019-12-31 18:04, skybuck2000@hotmail.com wrote:
Let's suppose you want to create software that can only run on old computers
and not on new computers and not on virtual machines ?!

What kind of programming tricks would you use to try and avoid the software
from being run on newer computers or virtual machines ? :) >

The same trick you use to stop trolls posting to newsgroups, i.e. none.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
robert(a)prino(d)org

From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 23:06 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 15:06:19 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 8:58:33 AM UTC+1, Rod Pemberton wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking of something that might be incomputable.

Maybe square of 2 or the halting problem.

At least with square of 2 it can be computed to a certain precision.

Maybe emulators won't bother to compute up to a certain precision because maybe it would then become infeasible/too slow for practical usage ;)

Bye,
  Skybuck.