HOLY MACRO!

devel / comp.lang.c / Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

SubjectAuthor
* Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacksolcott
+- Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Serviceolcott
`- Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of ServicetTh

1
Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<u6a12j$3klfk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25949&group=comp.lang.c++#25949

 by: olcott - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:13 UTC

The purpose of solving the halting problem is to determine non-halting
bugs and non-halting malevolent software. My system achieves that
purpose for the halting problem's otherwise impossible input.

It is only when the halting problem is construed as providing a correct
yes/no answer to a self-contradictory question that the halting problem
cannot be solved.

// The following is written in C
//
01 typedef int (*ptr)(); // pointer to int function
02 int H(ptr x, ptr y) // uses x86 emulator to simulate its input
03
04 int D(ptr x)
05 {
06 int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
07 if (Halt_Status)
08 HERE: goto HERE;
09 return Halt_Status;
10 }
11
12 void main()
13 {
14 D(D);
15 }

Execution Trace
Line 14: main() invokes D(D)

keeps repeating (unless aborted)
Line 06: simulated D(D) invokes simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)

Simulation invariant:
D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach its own line 09.

When termination analyzer H is intended to prevent denial of service
attacks is presented with an input D that has been defined to have a
pathological relationship to this termination analyzer, it correctly
aborts the simulation of this input that would have otherwise caused H
to never terminate until system resources have been exhausted, crashing
the system.

*The halting problem is an issue with denial of service attacks*
https://medium.com/coinmonks/ethereum-what-is-gas-and-why-do-we-need-it-88bcd7fc191d

The whole system is right here:
https://github.com/plolcott/x86utm

It compiles with the 2017 version of the Community Edition
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/older-downloads/

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks [posted to wrong group]

<u6a17n$3klfk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25950&group=comp.lang.c++#25950

Followup: comp.theory
 by: olcott - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 15:16 UTC

I didn't mean to post this here please respond to comp.theory or ignore

On 6/13/2023 10:13 AM, olcott wrote:
> The purpose of solving the halting problem is to determine non-halting
> bugs and non-halting malevolent software. My system achieves that
> purpose for the halting problem's otherwise impossible input.
>
> It is only when the halting problem is construed as providing a correct
> yes/no answer to a self-contradictory question that the halting problem
> cannot be solved.
>
> // The following is written in C
> //
> 01 typedef int (*ptr)(); // pointer to int function
> 02 int H(ptr x, ptr y)   // uses x86 emulator to simulate its input
> 03
> 04 int D(ptr x)
> 05 {
> 06   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
> 07   if (Halt_Status)
> 08     HERE: goto HERE;
> 09   return Halt_Status;
> 10 }
> 11
> 12 void main()
> 13 {
> 14   D(D);
> 15 }
>
> Execution Trace
> Line 14: main() invokes D(D)
>
> keeps repeating (unless aborted)
> Line 06: simulated D(D) invokes simulated H(D,D) that simulates D(D)
>
> Simulation invariant:
> D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach its own line 09.
>
> When termination analyzer H is intended to prevent denial of service
> attacks is presented with an input D that has been defined to have a
> pathological relationship to this termination analyzer, it correctly
> aborts the simulation of this input that would have otherwise caused H
> to never terminate until system resources have been exhausted, crashing
> the system.
>
> *The halting problem is an issue with denial of service attacks*
> https://medium.com/coinmonks/ethereum-what-is-gas-and-why-do-we-need-it-88bcd7fc191d
>
> The whole system is right here:
> https://github.com/plolcott/x86utm
>
> It compiles with the 2017 version of the Community Edition
> https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/older-downloads/

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Termination Analyzer H correctly prevents Denial of Service attacks

<u6a8ct$1560$1@news.gegeweb.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25951&group=comp.lang.c++#25951

 by: tTh - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:18 UTC

On 6/13/23 17:13, olcott wrote:

> // The following is written in C

tth@redlady:/tmp$ splint following.c
Splint 3.1.2 --- 05 Sep 2017

following.c:4:4: Parse Error: New function scope inside function. (For
help on
parse errors, see splint -help parseerrors.)
*** Cannot continue.
tth@redlady:/tmp$

| https://danstonchat.com/1138.html |