They can always run stderr through uniq. :-) -- Larry Wall in <199704012331.PAA16535@wall.org>

programming / alt.lang.asm / Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windows NT, Version 5.3, Very rare !

SubjectAuthor
* Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windows NT,skybuck2000
+* Re: Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windows NT, VeJJ
|`- Re: Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windows NT, Verugxulo
`- Re: Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windowsrugxulo

1
Subject: Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windows NT, Version 5.3, Very rare !
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 19:20 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 11:20:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windows NT,
Version 5.3, Very rare !
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
View all headers
SLO: Slightly Off Topic ;)

This may be of use to you, if you are into retro programming and own a zipdrive and are struggling to get it working in modern day windows 7 64 bit or windows 10:

(Somehow I have a feeling you ASM people probably won't be needing my advise and software, but it's there if you need it, read on:)

Hello,

I have successfully virtualized the floppy disk that came with my IOMega Zipdisk Drive Parallel Port version.

The idea was to transfer data via this zipdrive without using network technology.

The idea was to download the guest.exe software and such to run it inside ms-dos or maybe even a virtual machine. The idea was to download these zipdisk drive drivers from the internet, since my dreampc has no more floppy disk drive and also the cd-rom drive is more or less dead, at least drive bay.

However there are many fakes on the internet, or incomplete distributions, there is one older version out there which is version 3.3 or something and it's probably clean but because it's so old I kinda don't trust it, that version is from 1995.

The version I have is from 1997. Also my version has NT support and the readme.txt says version 5.1 but the label on the disk says 5.3.

So this software I have is quite rare. There might also be scammers on e-bay trying to sell these disks, but they might not be genuine, mine is.

Later I might upload some youtube videos to spot maybe fakes and such and also to prove that I do have the original equipment and software and such.

There is also a zipdisk utility disk with additional software, but I have no interest in that for now, I might also upload that at a later date or maybe not at all. So far the zipdisk floppy is enough to get it working.

Anyway so I decided I was going to use my own trusted software, the floppy disk can't even be written to, because it's always in write-protected mode, it cannot be put into write mode, cause the plastic thingy that needs to be moved is missing which is kinda cool.

I also used a copy of the floppy disk for actual real world use, so the original floppy disk was little used and is in pretty good condition.

So I decided it was time to cheat a little bit and virtualize this floppy disk on the pentium 166, by downloading new software and try a virtualization attempt with winimage and such.

So I downloaded this software, send it over to the pentium 166 with my udp file transfer program ;) which was working flawlessly which is great.
I also pulled the power on the cable modem, so no internet just to be completely save.

Turns out winimage 9.0 doesn't work on windows 98. So contemplating what to do, the easiest option was to try winimage 8.1 and yes this version does work.

So success ! Zipdisk floppy virtualized, then send it back to main computer/dreampc from 2006.

Copied the files/virtual floppy disk image, extracted it with winimage, choose to extract with pathname otherwise default it will not extract the winntstuff folder which is kinda stupid.

Copied it to fat16 on usb drive, booted into ms-dos, tested the software, works great.

Then went back into vmware, added a parallel port, booted ms-dos inside virtual machine, used the real parallel port and run guest.exe and voila !

Zipdrive also working inside vmware under windows 7 x64 edition which is quite cool.

So this is a neat trick to get zipdrive working in Windows 7 64 bit edition, amazing !

It might also work in the free virtual box from oracle so you could try that out as well, haven't tried with oracle's solution yet.

I also downloaded an f-prot virus scanner with virus definitions from 2009, since date/time was reset on pentium 166 it will nag about date exceeding virus definitions but it does work.

If date/time is to new the program refuses to run which is kinda funny and stupid at the same time, either change date on virus definition files or simply change system date with date command.

I tested f-prot to see if it could detect the junky virus, boot sector virus, which was on one of my old floppies and indeed f-prot detected it just fine.

System commander warned that some kind of interrupt pointer changed, but I think that is probably date/time related cause of empty cmos battery not sure, so I think that is a false virus warning for harddisk, did scan harddisk of pentium 166 and no virus there so I think that is a false warning.

Anyway it was amazing to see this all working.

However it was kinda hard and nasty to find this exact software on the internet and yes there should be more copies of this software on the internet.

So what I am going to do is, I am going to make it available to you but storing it on my webdrive which will hopefully remain online for some time to come:

If you are the owner of a zipdrive parallel port version and you are unsure if you still have original software that came with it, or if you have older versions or you are not sure, you certainly want to make sure you at least get this driver disk cause boy-o-boy will it save you a lot of thinking and a lot of trouble ! ;) =D

Would have been nice if I already copied this to my PC or stored this on the internet a long time ago, would have saved me some troubles. But it was interesting figuring out how to get this working.

One more thing, finding a good, somewhat up-to-date virus scanner for ms-dos is also kinda hard so I am going to make the f-prot files available as well, so you can have a nice ms-dos 6.22 virus scanner ! =D

I forgot exactly what the zipdisk utility/tools disk is for... probably more software for windows 98, drivers or so, not sure, if anybody knows, let me know, I might check it out, but for now, kinda tired and I already like the current solution, otherwise you may have to use that older version that is somewhere on the internet.

Anyway time for some nice links:

Zipdisk Drive Drivers, virtualized floppy disk image, created with winimage:

General Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/zipdisk/

WinImage created floppy disk image:

http://www.skybuck.org/zipdisk/winimage/

Floppy disk image:

http://www.skybuck.org/zipdisk/winimage/zipdisk.vfd

(Works in vmware 8 even though it doesn't recgonize the extension ;))

Also in case you don't know how to extract these files from the floppy disk image, which can be done with 7-zip or winimage I have also extracted them and put them in an extracted folder. This is not a boot floppy disk, so you can just copy these files to your ms-dos drive and just work from there, or just store them anywhere you want as long as it's not on a a zipdisk ofcourse cause you first have to load these drives to be able to access the zipdisks ! :)

Extracted files and folders from this winimage floppy disk image:

http://www.skybuck.org/zipdisk/extracted/

And finally the f-prot virus scanner, I think it's legal to spread this around cause I think it became free or something:

Probably finest ms-dos scanner ever, not sure though, if you have any ms-dos virusses that it can't detect let me know (safely via e-mail or newsgroup ) ! ;) =D

I am going to upload f-prot in it's original form, it were two rar files that both need to be extracted, and I am also going to upload the extracted files in case you don't know how to extract these, you would have to use winrar for this, but now you don't need to and just download from unzipped folder:

Original f-prot rars files as I found them on the internet, stored on my webdrive in this zipped folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/zipped/

Direct link to these rar files on my webdrive:

http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/zipped/fprot_dos_316f.part1.rar
http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/zipped/fprot_dos_316f.part2.rar

Extracting these was a little bit weird/akward, I think you actually have to start with part2 and it will automatically extract part1 as well or maybe I am wrong about that, just try extract both and you'll see, may have to choose overwrite and such.

And then the unzipped/extracted folder and files which will be larger to download, roughly 15 MB extracted, so I hope you not a dial-up modem or anything, otherwise get the rars instead if you have winrar:

Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/unzipped/

Link to files:
http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/unzipped/ENGLISH.TX0
http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/unzipped/F-PROT.EXE
http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/unzipped/macro.def
http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/unzipped/sign.def
http://www.skybuck.org/fprot/unzipped/sign2.def

Ofcourse it is essential to have these signature files, these files contain virus definitions/marks etc, it's what the virus scanner uses to find virusses, without these virus definition files I think the virus scanner would be almost useless or not work well or at all.

Click here to read the complete article
From: JJ
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 21:24 UTC
From: jj4pub...@vfemail.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 04:24:53 +0700
View all headers
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 11:20:19 -0800 (PST), skybuck2000@hotmail.com wrote:
SLO: Slightly Off Topic ;)

This may be of use to you, if you are into retro programming and own a
zipdrive and are struggling to get it working in modern day windows 7 64
bit or windows 10:

(Somehow I have a feeling you ASM people probably won't be needing my
advise and software, but it's there if you need it, read on:)

Hello,

I have successfully virtualized the floppy disk that came with my IOMega
Zipdisk Drive Parallel Port version.
[snip]

What a disappointment. I thought this was about a new software that provide
a virtual floppy drive under DOS that uses a ZIPped floppy disk image file
as the storage.

From: rugx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 06:43 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 22:43:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Provided to you: Zipdisk Drive Drivers for MS-DOS, W95, Windows
NT, Version 5.3, Very rare !
From: rugx...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 1:20:20 PM UTC-6, skybu...@hotmail.com wrote:

The idea was to download these zipdisk drive drivers from the internet,
since my dreampc has no more floppy disk drive and also the cd-rom drive
is more or less dead, at least drive bay.

Not sure what "dreampc" specs are, but you can find USB floppy drives
(I have one) and presumably also USB-hosted CD/DVD/optical drives, too.

However there are many fakes on the internet, or incomplete distributions,

Most people and companies abandoned DOS, and licensing is less than optimal.
I do wonder if Linux supports it (which kernel series? 2.4? at least
that old series still had UMSDOS support, boot Linux atop DOS, so better
than nothing).

Later I might upload some youtube videos to spot maybe fakes and such
and also to prove that I do have the original equipment and software
and such.

YouTube is great, so any informative videos there are welcome.

So success ! Zipdisk floppy virtualized, then send it back to main
computer/dreampc from 2006.

2006 is fairly modern. Does it boot from USB? If so, try installing
DOS (ahem, FreeDOS 1.3rc2) via RUFUS. (Or use PLoP Boot Manager.)
Works for me!

However it was kinda hard and nasty to find this exact software on
the internet and yes there should be more copies of this software
on the internet.

I sympathize, but there's not much we can do about that.

One more thing, finding a good, somewhat up-to-date virus scanner
for ms-dos is also kinda hard so I am going to make the f-prot
files available as well, so you can have a nice ms-dos 6.22
virus scanner ! =D

"Up-to-date"? How so? You only need to protect against old DOS viruses,
not necessarily Win64 stuff, right??

There were also ClamAV (FDAV) and RHBVS for DOS, but I haven't used
them lately.

Also in case you don't know how to extract these files from the
floppy disk image, which can be done with 7-zip or winimage

Yeah, p7zip's 7z will extract it. There is a DJGPP build of that
(by M. Kostylev), but it includes RAR support (which is "non-free"),
so it's not mirrored publicly for FreeDOS. I never got around to
looking too closely at that. I have it locally, though.

I am going to upload f-prot in it's original form, it were two rar files
that both need to be extracted, and I am also going to upload the
extracted files in case you don't know how to extract these,
you would have to use winrar for this

UnRAR has DOS/DJGPP builds available, e.g. 3.8 or 3.93.
RARX 3.93 (32-bit DOS or OS/2 from 2010) is still shareware and
publicly available.

Also maybe later I upload some youtube videos to show all of this,
which is pretty cool.

Do it, but mention it on one of the FreeDOS mailing lists (or maybe
news://comp.os.msdos.programmer )!

One last thing: I could maybe compute a sha256 hash so you have
some more verification methods, but for now this will have to do,

Any reason for that specific hash?? Why not SHA-1 or MD5 or even CRC32?

if you know a good sha256 hash computing tool/file verifier
for windows and ms-dos or so let me know ! ;) :)

"7z h" should work.

Let's mention one more problem with what I want to do and that is
run turbo pascal 7 software.
[tppatch]
But I will also upload this to my own webdrive to keep a copy of this
just in case it goes offline, otherwise it will be little fun programming
in turbo pascla 7,

Virtual Pascal can run in DOS (with Japheth's HX).
GNU Pascal has a build (GCC 3.4.6) for latest DJGPP 2.05.
TMT Pascal 3.90 Lite is still found online (non-commercial freeware).
FPC (Go32v2 and 8086-msdos targets) works in DOS.
Turbo 5.5 is still freeware from Embarcadero.

(Not to mention other DOS compilers for Modula-2 and Oberon.)

though if the crt unit is not used the problem does not occur I think,
I still have to find a good crt unit replacement though but that will
come tomorrow, at least this patch allows you to patch exe's made
with tp7 and bp7.

I don't know all of the details, but it's easy to fix or work around that.
It's not that big of a problem and can be definitely be solved (or a
non-issue even, with other compatible compilers!). It's well-known.

From: rugx...@gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 06:51 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 22:51:17 -0800 (PST)
From: rugx...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 3:26:26 PM UTC-6, JJ wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 11:20:19 -0800 (PST), skybuck2000@hates.spam wrote:

I have successfully virtualized the floppy disk that came with my IOMega
Zipdisk Drive Parallel Port version.
[snip]

What a disappointment. I thought this was about a new software that provide
a virtual floppy drive under DOS that uses a ZIPped floppy disk image file
as the storage.

You mean something like this?

* http://adoxa.altervista.org/shsufdrv/index.html

Or this?

* http://ethflop.sourceforge.net/

(Note that there are probably other, similar tools which I'm forgetting,
but even with these I don't really have much experience.
Still, I try to give helpful suggestions anyways. Just FYI.)