Being schizophrenic is better than living alone.

devel / comp.lang.c / A request, and a question

SubjectAuthor
* A request, and a questionTim Rentsch
+* Re: A request, and a questionSpiros Bousbouras
|+- Re: A request, and a questionTim Rentsch
|+* Re: A request, and a questionJohn McCue
||+- Re: A request, and a questionMichael S
||`- Re: A request, and a questionSpiros Bousbouras
|`* Re: A request, and a questionJames Kuyper
| +* Re: A request, and a questionKeith Thompson
| |+- Re: A request, and a questionPaul
| |`- Re: A request, and a questionKeith Thompson
| +* Re: A request, and a questionKaz Kylheku
| |`* Re: A request, and a questionKeith Thompson
| | `* Re: A request, and a questionKaz Kylheku
| |  `* Re: A request, and a questionKeith Thompson
| |   `* Re: A request, and a questionKaz Kylheku
| |    `* Re: A request, and a questionKeith Thompson
| |     `* Re: A request, and a questionRichard Damon
| |      `- Re: A request, and a questionKaz Kylheku
| +* Re: A request, and a questionDavid Brown
| |+* Re: A request, and a questionmjos_examine
| ||`* Re: A request, and a questionKeith Thompson
| || `- Re: A request, and a questionmjos_examine
| |`- Re: A request, and a questionSpiros Bousbouras
| +- Re: A request, and a questiontTh
| `- Re: A request, and a questionTim Rentsch
`* Re: A request, and a questionLawrence D'Oliveiro
 +* Re: A request, and a questionAnthony Cuozzo
 |`- Re: A request, and a questionTim Rentsch
 `- Re: A request, and a questionTim Rentsch

Pages:12
A request, and a question

<86h6ixcj2c.fsf@linuxsc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31907&group=comp.lang.c#31907

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: A request, and a question
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800
sha1:WriJqTtzn8GuYXWEJL3l6hKC5HU=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:13 UTC

I have two unrelated items, both about the newsgroup but not
directly about C.

Recently there seems to be a lot of postings mostly about issues
in other languages (C++, Java, Python, or some others mentioned
in passing) but having little or nothing to do with C. I hope
that people will remember this is comp.lang.c, and that they take
discussions relevant to other languages but not so much about C
to other newsgroups where that discussion is more topical.

Second item: I have the impression that in the last month or so
there have been a handful of postings from James Kuyper, in each
case intended as a direct response to a posting of mine, but not
threaded as a followup posting in the usual newsgroup way. Do
other people also see this? Or more directly, is there someone
who can offer an independent verification of such postings? If
it is happening, does anyone have an idea what might be causing
it?

Re: A request, and a question

<ACClDmHp8lLCxWc1B@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31912&group=comp.lang.c#31912

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: A request, and a question
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 21:17:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 21:17 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800
Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com> wrote:
> I have two unrelated items, both about the newsgroup but not
> directly about C.
>
> Recently there seems to be a lot of postings mostly about issues
> in other languages (C++, Java, Python, or some others mentioned
> in passing) but having little or nothing to do with C. I hope
> that people will remember this is comp.lang.c, and that they take
> discussions relevant to other languages but not so much about C
> to other newsgroups where that discussion is more topical.

Hear hear. Discussions about C++ in particular happen repeatedly ,
it's not just a recent occurrence.

> Second item: I have the impression that in the last month or so
> there have been a handful of postings from James Kuyper, in each
> case intended as a direct response to a posting of mine, but not
> threaded as a followup posting in the usual newsgroup way. Do
> other people also see this? Or more directly, is there someone
> who can offer an independent verification of such postings? If
> it is happening, does anyone have an idea what might be causing
> it?

James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me> .And it is
an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his quotations show that
it is meant as a direct response to you but the last item in
James.

Re: A request, and a question

<up6rbo$55ft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31918&group=comp.lang.c#31918

From: ldo...@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 00:26:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 00:26 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800, Tim Rentsch wrote:

> Recently there seems to be a lot of postings mostly about issues in
> other languages (C++, Java, Python, or some others mentioned in passing)
> but having little or nothing to do with C.

From <https://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>:

1.4 What's not topical in comp.lang.c?

OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen, access
windowing or graphical interfaces, access the network, list
the files in a directory, or read "piped" output from a
subprocess. These questions should be directed to OS-specific
newsgroups, such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc,
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32, comp.unix.programmer
(general Unix: processes, pipes, POSIX, curses, sockets),
comp.os.linux.development.apps, comp.os.msdos.programmer (DOS,
BIOS, memory models, interrupts, screen handling, hardware),
comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,
comp.unix.[vendor].

Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
locations of header files. Ask about these in
compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help,
comp.os.msdos.djgpp (x86 version of the free gcc C compiler),
comp.compilers.lcc (the LCC family of C compilers including
LCC-Win32).

Writing a compiler. Ask about doing that in comp.compilers
(compiler construction and theory, moderated).

Processor-specific questions, such as questions about assembly
and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may be
appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly code
to C. These questions are both processor- and OS-specific and
should typically be asked in OS-specific newsgroups.

Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
request for source code. Appropriate newsgroups may be:
comp.programming, comp.theory, comp.graphics.algorithms.

The C Standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about the
C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++ to
comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such as
comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.c++.moderated.

Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
facilities for such interoperation. These questions should be
directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++ has
features for interoperating with C, so for such questions
consider comp.lang.c++.

Feel free to go over all the recent postings in this group, and tell
me how many would be left if you strictly obeyed the above criteria.

Re: A request, and a question

<KeGtN.69636$Sf59.40455@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31925&group=comp.lang.c#31925

Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
From: anth...@cuozzo.us (Anthony Cuozzo)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 23:57:13 -0500
 by: Anthony Cuozzo - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 04:57 UTC

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>
>> Recently there seems to be a lot of postings mostly about issues in
>> other languages (C++, Java, Python, or some others mentioned in passing)
>> but having little or nothing to do with C.
>
> From <https://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>:
>
> 1.4 What's not topical in comp.lang.c?

> OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen, access
> windowing or graphical interfaces, access the network, list
> the files in a directory, or read "piped" output from a
> subprocess. These questions should be directed to OS-specific
> newsgroups, such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc,
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32, comp.unix.programmer
> (general Unix: processes, pipes, POSIX, curses, sockets),
> comp.os.linux.development.apps, comp.os.msdos.programmer (DOS,
> BIOS, memory models, interrupts, screen handling, hardware),
> comp.os.os2.programmer.misc, comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,
> comp.unix.[vendor].
>
> Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
> locations of header files. Ask about these in
> compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help,
> comp.os.msdos.djgpp (x86 version of the free gcc C compiler),
> comp.compilers.lcc (the LCC family of C compilers including
> LCC-Win32).
>
> Writing a compiler. Ask about doing that in comp.compilers
> (compiler construction and theory, moderated).
>
> Processor-specific questions, such as questions about assembly
> and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
> comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may be
> appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.
>
> ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly code
> to C. These questions are both processor- and OS-specific and
> should typically be asked in OS-specific newsgroups.
>
> Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
> algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
> question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
> request for source code. Appropriate newsgroups may be:
> comp.programming, comp.theory, comp.graphics.algorithms.
>
> The C Standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about the
> C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.
>
> C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++ to
> comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such as
> comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.c++.moderated.
>
> Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
> facilities for such interoperation. These questions should be
> directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++ has
> features for interoperating with C, so for such questions
> consider comp.lang.c++.
>
> Feel free to go over all the recent postings in this group, and tell
> me how many would be left if you strictly obeyed the above criteria.

Perhaps it's time to change the criteria, especially since comp.lang.c
has enough eyeballs on it to be useful unlike so many other newsgroups.

I think it would make sense to expand the official scope of the
newsgroup to any topic related to C, even funky half-baked K&R-era
implementations on long-dead architectures.

I don't see why a question on, e.g., x86-64 SIMD instructions would need
to be off-topic here if the OP is using a C compiler with builtin
functions for them.

Re: A request, and a question

<86cytkc4ox.fsf@linuxsc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31949&group=comp.lang.c#31949

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:36:30 -0800
sha1:OQpz+v7nWDcSPqBKC7N8BKHd1h0=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:36 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800
> Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Second item: I have the impression that in the last month or so
>> there have been a handful of postings from James Kuyper, in each
>> case intended as a direct response to a posting of mine, but not
>> threaded as a followup posting in the usual newsgroup way. Do
>> other people also see this? Or more directly, is there someone
>> who can offer an independent verification of such postings? If
>> it is happening, does anyone have an idea what might be causing
>> it?
>
> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me>. And
> it is an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his
> quotations show that it is meant as a direct response to you but
> the last item in References: is <uje6vv$gei$1@dont-email.me>
> which is another post by James.

Thank you. I haven't yet seen this so I didn't know about it.

Re: A request, and a question

<868r47ditv.fsf@linuxsc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31950&group=comp.lang.c#31950

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:45:48 -0800
sha1:E1rkm09Q7in4Gxr1i9RTXi32ZYQ=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:45 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> writes:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800, Tim Rentsch wrote:
>
>> Recently there seems to be a lot of postings mostly about issues in
>> other languages (C++, Java, Python, or some others mentioned in passing)
>> but having little or nothing to do with C.
>
> From <https://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Introduction>:
> [...]

(A) It's a wiki.

(B) It's not any sort of official statement about the newsgroup.

(C) There is almost no overlap between people mentioned on pages
in the wiki and recently active posters.

(D) The site is way out of date. It looks like most of it was
written at least 10 years ago, and the page you referenced
was written 20 years ago.

(E) Topicality is not binary. 99% topical is a lot different
than 1% topical.

Re: A request, and a question

<up96i7$kjia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31959&group=comp.lang.c#31959

From: jmc...@qball.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:49:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:49 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Hear hear. Discussions about C++ in particular happen repeatedly ,
> it's not just a recent occurrence.

IIRC, many of these come from google groups people.

There was a post here a while ago that stated Google made a
change that considered news groups with a '++' invalid.
So, many posts for comp.lang.c++ started ending up here. I
forgot the actual reason.

Anyway, soon google group posts will be an non-issue :)

Re: A request, and a question

<86r0hzbip0.fsf@linuxsc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31979&group=comp.lang.c#31979

From: tr.17...@z991.linuxsc.com (Tim Rentsch)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:31:39 -0800
sha1:2b798QrHoOPyQuBTTY4MpVLqfao=
 by: Tim Rentsch - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 03:31 UTC

Anthony Cuozzo <anthony@cuozzo.us> writes:

[..what is topical in comp.lang.c?..]

> I think it would make sense to expand the official scope of the
> newsgroup to any topic related to C, even funky half-baked K&R-era
> implementations on long-dead architectures.
>
> I don't see why a question on, e.g., x86-64 SIMD instructions
> would need to be off-topic here if the OP is using a C compiler
> with builtin functions for them.

Topicality is not binary. No matter where the boundary is drawn,
there will be postings that fall somewhere outside of it. And
that's okay.

That said, some issues are pretty close to the main body, and
some are clearly outside. It isn't just if, but how often, how
much, and how long. Some off-topic threads go on at great length
for dozens of postings or more. If someone has a short question
about compiler-specific intrinsics, that should be okay. On the
other hand, there are a few bad actors who will use any excuse
to go farther and farther into left field, to the point where any
connection to most people who visit the group has long since
disappeared. (Even worse are the offenders who will talk about
anything that interests them but chastise others for topic they
aren't interested in. No names but I think most people know who
all fall into this category.)

In short, I don't mind a fuzzy boundary, with the primary focus
of the newsgroup being standard C, and with a normal distribution
fall-off as the subjects get farther from the center. (And of
course I know that there are people who will continue to talk
about whatever it is they want to talk about, regardless of how
much or how little it has to do with C. Nothing is ever going to
stop them but it's good to call them out every so often.)

Re: A request, and a question

<up9ve1$roj9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31982&group=comp.lang.c#31982

From: jameskuy...@alumni.caltech.edu (James Kuyper)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:54:25 -0500
 by: James Kuyper - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 04:54 UTC

On 1/28/24 16:17, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800
> Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com> wrote:
>> Second item: I have the impression that in the last month or so
>> there have been a handful of postings from James Kuyper, in each
>> case intended as a direct response to a posting of mine, but not
>> threaded as a followup posting in the usual newsgroup way. Do
>> other people also see this? Or more directly, is there someone
>> who can offer an independent verification of such postings? If
>> it is happening, does anyone have an idea what might be causing
>> it?
>
> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me> .And it is
> an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his quotations show that
> it is meant as a direct response to you but the last item in
> James.

Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
Firefox or Chrome.

For Tim's benefit, the explanation he's referring to is at the beginning
of what is (currently) the very last message on the "Call to a function"
thread, posted by me with a Date: header of Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:19:09 -0500.

Re: A request, and a question

<87o7d35rez.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31983&group=comp.lang.c#31983

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:19:48 -0800
sha1:ql/obXWxydVTIF+7AjhjMV60ryk=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:19 UTC

James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> On 1/28/24 16:17, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
[...]
>> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me> .And it is
>> an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his quotations show that
>> it is meant as a direct response to you but the last item in
>> James.
>
> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
> and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
> them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
> Firefox or Chrome.

Those are Message-IDs, not links.

For example, your article to which I'm replying has this header line:

There isn't necessarily a good way to look up an article given its
Message-ID. The newsreader I use, Gnus, has a 'j' command
(gnus-summary-goto-article) that takes either an article number (a
sequential number within a newsgroup, specific to a given NNTP server)
or a Message-ID (should be unique across all of Usenet) as an argument.

I don't know whether Thunderbird has a similar feature.

There's a package called "sinntp", a "tiny non-interactive NNTP client",
that includes a command "nttp-get" that can fetch an article given its
Message-ID (if you specify the server and authentication information).

[...]

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic

Re: A request, and a question

<upa2dd$schb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31984&group=comp.lang.c#31984

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 00:45:16 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:45 UTC

On 1/30/2024 12:19 AM, Keith Thompson wrote:
> James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>> On 1/28/24 16:17, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> [...]
>>> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me> .And it is
>>> an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his quotations show that
>>> it is meant as a direct response to you but the last item in
>>> James.
>>
>> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
>> and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
>> them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
>> Firefox or Chrome.
>
> Those are Message-IDs, not links.
>
> For example, your article to which I'm replying has this header line:

> There isn't necessarily a good way to look up an article given its
> Message-ID. The newsreader I use, Gnus, has a 'j' command
> (gnus-summary-goto-article) that takes either an article number (a
> sequential number within a newsgroup, specific to a given NNTP server)
> or a Message-ID (should be unique across all of Usenet) as an argument.
>
> I don't know whether Thunderbird has a similar feature.
>
> There's a package called "sinntp", a "tiny non-interactive NNTP client",
> that includes a command "nttp-get" that can fetch an article given its
> Message-ID (if you specify the server and authentication information).
>
> [...]

http://al.howardknight.net/

<up9ve1$roj9$1@dont-email.me> <=== include the angle-brackets around the MID

Returns:

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cup9ve1%24roj9%241%40dont-email.me%3E

The web pages, if they contain messages with BASE64 body text,
that is not decoded. So the method is not perfect, but it
does allow activity like walking threads backwards.

Message bodies are length-truncated. Some people were abusing
the server and using it to serve movies (a thousand messages
with long body text), and by deleting most of the body text,
they stopped using it for movies. This means if you posted
a long C source, this site as an archive would not offer all
of the message.

And that can help with clients that don't have MID: access.
You can use the headers section.

That server may have local retention, but it also searches
other places, so the retention is partially a function of
things that could go away.

Re: A request, and a question

<20240129214606.542@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31985&group=comp.lang.c#31985

From: 433-929-...@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:48:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 05:48 UTC

On 2024-01-30, James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
> and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
> them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
> Firefox or Chrome.

You have to find the feature in your NNTP client which retrieves a
Usenet article by Message-ID, and paste that into its UI, possibly after
manually removing the delimiting angle brackets.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: A request, and a question

<87jznr5mk6.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31987&group=comp.lang.c#31987

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:04:41 -0800
sha1:BBu/rIqqlUlsBWju72z2EBg3AuY=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 07:04 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <433-929-6894@kylheku.com> writes:
> On 2024-01-30, James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
>> and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
>> them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
>> Firefox or Chrome.
>
> You have to find the feature in your NNTP client which retrieves a
> Usenet article by Message-ID, and paste that into its UI, possibly after
> manually removing the delimiting angle brackets.

The angle brackets are actually part of the Message-ID. (Some software
might let them be omitted.)

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic

Re: A request, and a question

<upadgv$tstp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31992&group=comp.lang.c#31992

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:54:55 +0100
 by: David Brown - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:54 UTC

On 30/01/2024 05:54, James Kuyper wrote:
> On 1/28/24 16:17, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:13:47 -0800
>> Tim Rentsch <tr.17687@z991.linuxsc.com> wrote:
>>> Second item: I have the impression that in the last month or so
>>> there have been a handful of postings from James Kuyper, in each
>>> case intended as a direct response to a posting of mine, but not
>>> threaded as a followup posting in the usual newsgroup way. Do
>>> other people also see this? Or more directly, is there someone
>>> who can offer an independent verification of such postings? If
>>> it is happening, does anyone have an idea what might be causing
>>> it?
>>
>> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me> .And it is
>> an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his quotations show that
>> it is meant as a direct response to you but the last item in
>> James.
>
> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
> and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
> them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
> Firefox or Chrome.

I don't know of a good way to use these ID's in Thunderbird.

Giving the date and thread title is usually sufficient and should be
useable on any newsreader (including GG - which as far as I know still
shows old posts). It is also helpful to know how long ago the post was!

> For Tim's benefit, the explanation he's referring to is at the beginning
> of what is (currently) the very last message on the "Call to a function"
> thread, posted by me with a Date: header of Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:19:09 -0500.

Re: A request, and a question

<upai5n$1k7q$1@news.gegeweb.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31996&group=comp.lang.c#31996

From: tth...@none.invalid (tTh)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:14:15 +0100
 by: tTh - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:14 UTC

On 1/30/24 05:54, James Kuyper wrote:

>> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me> .And it is
>
> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,

Use http://al.howardknight.net/
--> http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=170660961100

| https://tube.interhacker.space/a/tth/video-channels |

Re: A request, and a question

<20240130145912.00003286@yahoo.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32000&group=comp.lang.c#32000

From: already5...@yahoo.com (Michael S)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:59:12 +0200
 by: Michael S - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:59 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:49:59 -0000 (UTC)
John McCue <jmccue@qball.jmcunx.com> wrote:

> Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Hear hear. Discussions about C++ in particular happen repeatedly ,
> > it's not just a recent occurrence.
>
> IIRC, many of these come from google groups people.
>
> There was a post here a while ago that stated Google made a
> change that considered news groups with a '++' invalid.
> So, many posts for comp.lang.c++ started ending up here. I
> forgot the actual reason.

That was a bug rather than intentional change. It was fixed relatively
quickly.

> Anyway, soon google group posts will be an non-issue :)

In this particular groups Google Groups posts are non-issue since
2023-10-28. I.e. more than a full quarter.

Re: A request, and a question

<upb2g6$11a9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32003&group=comp.lang.c#32003

From: m6502...@gmail.com (mjos_examine)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:53:08 -0500
 by: mjos_examine - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:53 UTC

On 2024-01-30 3:54 a.m., David Brown wrote:

> I don't know of a good way to use these ID's in Thunderbird.

Right-click on a newsgroup folder and select "Search Messages...".

If "Message-Id" (without the quotes) appears in the ensuing pull-down
pick-list on the left-most criteria column, select it.

If "Message-Id" (without the quotes) doesn't appear, choose "customize"
at the bottom to add the Message-Id field to the pick-list.

Do remove the angle-brackets in the right-most criteria column (in my
experience).

Click the Search button to being your search.

Re: A request, and a question

<5coMORr4Yrzu1Q8o0@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32013&group=comp.lang.c#32013

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:24:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:24 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:54:55 +0100
David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:
> I don't know of a good way to use these ID's in Thunderbird.

I have replied at

Newsgroups: comp.misc,news.groups
Subject: How to simply get a message from Message-ID
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:22:47 -0000 (UTC)

Re: A request, and a question

<rf6E1i0Ddga4faPNj@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32016&group=comp.lang.c#32016

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:47:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:47 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 21:49:59 -0000 (UTC)
John McCue <jmccue@qball.jmcunx.com> wrote:
> Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Hear hear. Discussions about C++ in particular happen repeatedly ,
> > it's not just a recent occurrence.
>
> IIRC, many of these come from google groups people.

Actually many come from some of the regulars here. A discussion starts
about C , then someone makes a comparison with C++ and then the
discussion becomes about C++ , occasionally including quotations from the
C++ standard. If the discussion becomes exclusively about C++ , it
certainly doesn't belong on comp.lang.c .

Re: A request, and a question

<87zfwm4l5m.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32042&group=comp.lang.c#32042

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:32:37 -0800
sha1:aJVYbgpMnv1F6FYt42h/EaGnQzo=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:32 UTC

mjos_examine <m6502x64@gmail.com> writes:
> On 2024-01-30 3:54 a.m., David Brown wrote:
>> I don't know of a good way to use these ID's in Thunderbird.
> Right-click on a newsgroup folder and select "Search Messages...".
>
> If "Message-Id" (without the quotes) appears in the ensuing pull-down
> pick-list on the left-most criteria column, select it.
>
> If "Message-Id" (without the quotes) doesn't appear, choose
> "customize" at the bottom to add the Message-Id field to the
> pick-list.
>
> Do remove the angle-brackets in the right-most criteria column (in my
> experience).
>
> Click the Search button to being your search.

If Thunderbird requires removing the '<' and '>' from a Message-ID
before searching for it, that's a bug in Thunderbird. Can you try a
search with and without the angle brackets?

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic

Re: A request, and a question

<87plxi4kdw.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32044&group=comp.lang.c#32044

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:49:15 -0800
sha1:vqqr8h6Cm7CrM/puXf2CEN7aldU=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:49 UTC

Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:
> James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>> On 1/28/24 16:17, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> [...]
>>> James himself explains it in <uop3fd$1d8ao$1@dont-email.me> .And it is
>>> an example of an incorrectly threaded message : his quotations show that
>>> it is meant as a direct response to you but the last item in
>>> James.
>>
>> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
>> and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
>> them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
>> Firefox or Chrome.
>
> Those are Message-IDs, not links.
>
> For example, your article to which I'm replying has this header line:

> There isn't necessarily a good way to look up an article given its
> Message-ID. The newsreader I use, Gnus, has a 'j' command
> (gnus-summary-goto-article) that takes either an article number (a
> sequential number within a newsgroup, specific to a given NNTP server)
> or a Message-ID (should be unique across all of Usenet) as an argument.
>
> I don't know whether Thunderbird has a similar feature.
>
> There's a package called "sinntp", a "tiny non-interactive NNTP client",
> that includes a command "nttp-get" that can fetch an article given its
> Message-ID (if you specify the server and authentication information).
>
> [...]

In what I presume was a misdirected email, James Kuyper wrote:

Thunderbird displays them as clickable links. When I use Google
Groups to view the message, Firefox and Chrome both display them as
clickable links. Unfortunately, they don't work. It's those links I
was talking about.

Right, that's not surprising. They're not links, but they look like
links, and Thunderbird incorrectly treats them as links.

Email addresses are commonly written in the form <user@example.com>, so
programs like Thunderbird will recognize that format and makes them
clickable.

Usenet Message-IDs are commonly of the form <arbitrary-text@example.com>,
so they look like email addresses. (I don't think "up9ve1$roj9$1" is a
valid user name, but Thunderbird might not check that.) It's likely
that Thunderbird assumes the angle brackets are decoration, and treats
only the text between them as a link.

Given the similarity, false positives are almost inevitable. The
alternative would be to recognize email addresses only in "mailto:"
URLs, but that would be user-hostile.

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic

Re: A request, and a question

<20240130123802.569@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32045&group=comp.lang.c#32045

From: 433-929-...@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:50:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:50 UTC

On 2024-01-30, Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku <433-929-6894@kylheku.com> writes:
>> On 2024-01-30, James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>>> Those links don't work for me. They are interpreted as mailto:// links,
>>> and the link itself says not to mail them. I don't know what to do with
>>> them, and neither do Thunderbird or (when I'm using Google Groups)
>>> Firefox or Chrome.
>>
>> You have to find the feature in your NNTP client which retrieves a
>> Usenet article by Message-ID, and paste that into its UI, possibly after
>> manually removing the delimiting angle brackets.
>
> The angle brackets are actually part of the Message-ID. (Some software
> might let them be omitted.)

If true, that is surprising; but it doesn't sound right. The angle brackets are
just a delimiter used when the ID appears in headers, similarly to brackets
around e-mail addresses.

Indeed, RFC 2392:

Notes: In Internet mail messages, the addr-spec in a Content-ID
[MIME] or Message-ID [822] header is enclosed in angle brackets
(<>). [Section 2. The MID and CID Url Schemes]

Elsewhere in the document, the grammar doesn't mention the angle
brackets.

An NNTP client should definitely accept a Message ID without the angle
brackets. To be user-friendly, it should strip them if they are present.
This is similar to accepting e-mail addresses with or without
angle brackets. you can compose a message to foo@example.com or
to Foo Bar <foo@example.com>, and the latter should be accepted
even without the display name.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: A request, and a question

<87h6iu4jke.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32049&group=comp.lang.c#32049

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:06:57 -0800
sha1:USzZFxN5uDAnmkti3vzSIpn1prE=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:06 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <433-929-6894@kylheku.com> writes:
> On 2024-01-30, Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Kaz Kylheku <433-929-6894@kylheku.com> writes:
>>>
>>> You have to find the feature in your NNTP client which retrieves a
>>> Usenet article by Message-ID, and paste that into its UI, possibly after
>>> manually removing the delimiting angle brackets.
>>
>> The angle brackets are actually part of the Message-ID. (Some software
>> might let them be omitted.)
>
> If true, that is surprising; but it doesn't sound right. The angle brackets are
> just a delimiter used when the ID appears in headers, similarly to brackets
> around e-mail addresses.
>
> Indeed, RFC 2392:
>
> Notes: In Internet mail messages, the addr-spec in a Content-ID
> [MIME] or Message-ID [822] header is enclosed in angle brackets
> (<>). [Section 2. The MID and CID Url Schemes]
>
> Elsewhere in the document, the grammar doesn't mention the angle
> brackets.
>
> An NNTP client should definitely accept a Message ID without the angle
> brackets. To be user-friendly, it should strip them if they are present.
> This is similar to accepting e-mail addresses with or without
> angle brackets. you can compose a message to foo@example.com or
> to Foo Bar <foo@example.com>, and the latter should be accepted
> even without the display name.

RFC 2822 defines the internet message format.

The grammar for a message-id header line is:

message-id = "Message-ID:" msg-id CRLF

msg-id is defined as:

msg-id = [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]

("CFWS" refers to comments and foldable white space).

So yes, the angle brackets are officially part of the message-id.

If I'm reading this correctly, given:

the space before the '<' is also part of the msg-id. I don't know
whether that was intended, but I don't think it's relevant to the
current discussion.

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic

Re: A request, and a question

<20240130130830.295@kylheku.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32050&group=comp.lang.c#32050

From: 433-929-...@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:12:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:12 UTC

On 2024-01-30, Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kaz Kylheku <433-929-6894@kylheku.com> writes:
> the space before the '<' is also part of the msg-id. I don't know
> whether that was intended, but I don't think it's relevant to the
> current discussion.

In the same RFC:

Semantically, the angle bracket characters are not part of the
msg-id; the msg-id is what is contained between the two angle bracket
characters. [3.6.4. Identification fields]

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: A request, and a question

<upbqdi$15irs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32052&group=comp.lang.c#32052

From: m6502...@gmail.com (mjos_examine)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:41:18 -0500
 by: mjos_examine - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:41 UTC

On 2024-01-30 3:32 p.m., Keith Thompson wrote:
> mjos_examine<m6502x64@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 2024-01-30 3:54 a.m., David Brown wrote:
>>> I don't know of a good way to use these ID's in Thunderbird.
>> Right-click on a newsgroup folder and select "Search Messages...".
>>
>> If "Message-Id" (without the quotes) appears in the ensuing pull-down
>> pick-list on the left-most criteria column, select it.
>>
>> If "Message-Id" (without the quotes) doesn't appear, choose
>> "customize" at the bottom to add the Message-Id field to the
>> pick-list.
>>
>> Do remove the angle-brackets in the right-most criteria column (in my
>> experience).
>>
>> Click the Search button to being your search.
> If Thunderbird requires removing the '<' and '>' from a Message-ID
> before searching for it, that's a bug in Thunderbird. Can you try a
> search with and without the angle brackets?

I have before, which is why I added "in my experience", but since I have
a spare minute, I'll check again.

[1st attempt]

Results:

Message-Id contains <87zfwm4l5m.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

empty list

[2nd attempt]

Message-Id contains 87zfwm4l5m.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com

Subject Correspondents Date ^ Location
Re: A request, and a question Keith Thompson 3:32 p.m. comp.lang.c

That final line is a table entry that can be selected, although I
couldn't easily convey that in text format here.

I have nothing to do with Thunderbird, other than as an occasional user
who was trying to assist someone above retrieve comp.lang.c postings via
Message-Id.