Subject: Functional Thinking for the Imperative Mind
From: De ongekruisigde
Newsgroups: comp.lang.haskell
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 07:01 UTC
From: ongekrui...@news.eternal-september.org (De ongekruisigde)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.haskell
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 07:01:30 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
Functional Thinking for the Imperative Mind: Getting Your Feet Wet
By Michael Bevilacqua-Linn

In which we dip our toe into the functional programming waters and
answer the question, how does functional thinking differ from the
imperative kind?

https://medium.com/pragmatic-programmers/functional-thinking-for-the-imperative-mind-getting-your-feet-wet-c9f85e84ecf5

--
The astronomer Francesco Sizi, a contemporary of Galileo, argues that
Jupiter can have no satellites:

There are seven windows in the head, two nostrils, two ears, two
eyes, and a mouth; so in the heavens there are two favorable stars,
two unpropitious, two luminaries, and Mercury alone undecided and
indifferent. From which and many other similar phenomena of nature such
as the seven metals, etc., which it were tedious to enumerate, we gather
that the number of planets is necessarily seven. [...]

Moreover, the satellites are invisible to the naked eye and therefore
can have no influence on the earth and therefore would be useless and
therefore do not exist.