All Finagle Laws may be bypassed by learning the simple art of doing without thinking.

devel / alt.lang.asm / Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

SubjectAuthor
* Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesKerr-Mudd, John
+* Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesKerr-Mudd, John
|`* Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesKerr-Mudd, John
| `* Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesKerr-Mudd, John
|  `* Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesKerr-Mudd, John
|   `- Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 256 bytesKerr-Mudd, John
`* Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesPhil Carmody
 `* Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesKerr-Mudd, John
  `- Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytesKerr-Mudd, John

1
Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<20220428153139.3e3fa1ee573770f1714c2863@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=261&group=alt.lang.asm#261

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm
Subject: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:31:39 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:31 UTC

added other NG's that I meant to post to initially

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:49:24 +0100
From: "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@127.0.0.1>
Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

DOS program for Wordle ; was 380 ish bytes but by deleting text messages and disallowing backspace I have a version in under 256 bytes. Tested in a CMD box on an XP machine.

You'll need to supply the wordlist file ("wordle2u.lst"); each word must be 5 letters in caps followed by 2 intervening chars (i.e double space or a crlf pair). The list must be in alphabetical sort order. I can post that if required. [I don't think ETUDE is a valid word; I changed it to EXUDE]

Keys are A-Z,a-z, CsrL/R, Enter, Esc; uses BIOS for chr to scrn and keyin. 6 goes to win. exact match letters shown in reverse green, nearby chrs shown in reverse brown. 'Words' not on the list aren't tested, don't count as guesses.

The randomising code is quite a botch, and there's a known problem with the cursor not appearing 1) at start, 2) disappearing on 5th char input. I can't seem to fix that.

-> d 100 l100
16AB:0100 BA ED 01 89-D7 B4 3D CD-21 93 B5 FF-B4 3F CD 21 ......=.!....?.!
16AB:0110 01 D0 95 B4-2A CD 21 92-B9 07 00 F7-E0 88 E0 88 ....*.!.........
16AB:0120 D4 31 D2 F7-E1 01 F8 09-D2 75 F0 39-E8 77 EC 50 .1.......u.9.w.P
16AB:0130 B8 00 B8 50-1F B8 03 00-CD 10 5F BE-8A 01 B6 04 ...P......_.....
16AB:0140 81 C6 40 01-B2 25 88 E0-3C 4D 74 29-3C 4B 74 2B ..@..%..<Mt)<Kt+
16AB:0150 31 DB B4 02-CD 10 98 CD-16 3C 0D 74-2F 3C 1B 74 1........<.t/<.t
16AB:0160 2A 24 DF 74-E1 B4 07 50-2C 41 72 02-04 E6 58 72 *$.t...P,Ar...Xr
16AB:0170 E5 B4 0E CD-10 42 80 FA-2A 75 D5 80-FA 25 74 D6 .....B..*u...%t.
16AB:0180 4A EB CD 80-C6 02 80 FE-10 72 B5 C3-56 57 BF E7 J........r..VW..
16AB:0190 01 AC B1 05-47 01 CF 39-EF 77 0F AE-77 F6 72 0A ....G..9.w..w.r.
16AB:01A0 56 57 46 A6-E1 FC 5F 5E-75 E8 5F 5E-75 96 BB 20 VWF..._^u._^u..
16AB:01B0 0A 56 57 4E-B1 05 B4 05-46 A6 88 39-75 06 88 1C .VWN....F..9u...
16AB:01C0 88 19 FE CC-E2 F2 5F 5E-74 C1 56 B1-05 AD 38 DC ......_^t.V...8.
16AB:01D0 74 16 51 B1-05 57 E3 0E-F2 AE 75 0A-38 19 74 F6 t.Q..W....u.8.t.
16AB:01E0 C6 44 FF 60-88 19 5F 59-E2 E3 5E EB-96 77 6F 72 .D.`.._Y..^..wor
16AB:01F0 64 6C 65 32-75 2E 74 78-74 00 20 20-20 20 20 20 dle2u.txt.
-> q

(spoiler

today's word is OLIVE

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<20220430105414.ffdf0e0c18b9c70f4c747a3a@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=262&group=alt.lang.asm#262

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm,comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:54:14 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:54 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:31:39 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> added other NG's that I meant to post to initially

> DOS program for Wordle ; was 380 ish bytes but by deleting text messages and disallowing backspace I have a version in under 256 bytes. Tested in a CMD box on an XP machine.
>
> You'll need to supply the wordlist file ("wordle2u.lst"); each word must be 5 letters in caps followed by 2 intervening chars (i.e double space or a crlf pair). The list must be in alphabetical sort order. I can post that if required. [I don't think ETUDE is a valid word; I changed it to EXUDE]

> DOS program for Wordle ; was 380 ish bytes but by deleting text messages and disallowing backspace I have a version in under 256 bytes. Tested in a CMD box on an XP machine.
>
> You'll need to supply the wordlist file ("wordle2u.lst"); each word must be 5 letters in caps followed by 2
Ooops should be 'wordle2u.txt'. Here it is anyway:

ABACK ABASE ABATE ABBEY ABBOT ABHOR ABIDE ABLED ABODE ABORT ABOUT ABOVE ABUSE ABYSS ACORN ACRID ACTOR ACUTE ADAGE ADAPT ADEPT ADMIN ADMIT ADOBE ADOPT ADORE ADORN ADULT AFFIX AFIRE AFOOT AFOUL AFTER AGAIN AGAPE AGATE AGENT AGILE AGING AGLOW AGONY AGREE AHEAD AIDER AISLE ALARM ALBUM ALERT ALGAE ALIBI ALIEN ALIGN ALIKE ALIVE ALLAY ALLEY ALLOT ALLOW ALLOY ALOFT ALONE ALONG ALOOF ALOUD ALPHA ALTAR ALTER AMASS AMAZE AMBER AMBLE AMEND AMISS AMITY AMONG AMPLE AMPLY AMUSE ANGEL ANGER ANGLE ANGRY ANGST ANIME ANKLE ANNEX ANNOY ANNUL ANODE ANTIC ANVIL AORTA APART APHID APING APNEA APPLE APPLY APRON APTLY ARBOR ARDOR ARENA ARGUE ARISE ARMOR AROMA AROSE ARRAY ARROW ARSON ARTSY ASCOT ASHEN ASIDE ASKEW ASSAY ASSET ATOLL ATONE ATTIC AUDIO AUDIT AUGUR AUNTY AVAIL AVERT AVIAN AVOID AWAIT AWAKE AWARD AWARE AWASH AWFUL AWOKE AXIAL AXIOM AXION AZURE
BACON BADGE BADLY BAGEL BAGGY BAKER BALER BALMY BANAL BANJO BARGE BARON BASAL BASIC BASIL BASIN BASIS BASTE BATCH BATHE BATON BATTY BAWDY BAYOU BEACH BEADY BEARD BEAST BEECH BEEFY BEFIT BEGAN BEGAT BEGET BEGIN BEGUN BEING BELCH BELIE BELLE BELLY BELOW BENCH BERET BERRY BERTH BESET BETEL BEVEL BEZEL BIBLE BICEP BIDDY BIGOT BILGE BILLY BINGE BINGO BIOME BIRCH BIRTH BISON BITTY BLACK BLADE BLAME BLAND BLANK BLARE BLAST BLAZE BLEAK BLEAT BLEED BLEEP BLEND BLESS BLIMP BLIND BLINK BLISS BLITZ BLOAT BLOCK BLOKE BLOND BLOOD BLOOM BLOWN BLUER BLUFF BLUNT BLURB BLURT BLUSH BOARD BOAST BOBBY BONEY BONGO BONUS BOOBY BOOST BOOTH BOOTY BOOZE BOOZY BORAX BORNE BOSOM BOSSY BOTCH BOUGH BOULE BOUND BOWEL BOXER BRACE BRAID BRAIN BRAKE BRAND BRASH BRASS BRAVE BRAVO BRAWL BRAWN BREAD BREAK BREED BRIAR BRIBE BRICK BRIDE BRIEF BRINE BRING BRINK BRINY BRISK BROAD BROI
L BROKE BROOD BROOK BROOM BROTH BROWN BRUNT BRUSH BRUTE BUDDY BUDGE BUGGY BUGLE BUILD BUILT BULGE BULKY BULLY BUNCH BUNNY BURLY BURNT BURST BUSED BUSHY BUTCH BUTTE BUXOM BUYER BYLAW
CABAL CABBY CABIN CABLE CACAO CACHE CACTI CADDY CADET CAGEY CAIRN CAMEL CAMEO CANAL CANDY CANNY CANOE CANON CAPER CAPUT CARAT CARGO CAROL CARRY CARVE CASTE CATCH CATER CATTY CAULK CAUSE CAVIL CEASE CEDAR CELLO CHAFE CHAFF CHAIN CHAIR CHALK CHAMP CHANT CHAOS CHARD CHARM CHART CHASE CHASM CHEAP CHEAT CHECK CHEEK CHEER CHESS CHEST CHICK CHIDE CHIEF CHILD CHILI CHILL CHIME CHINA CHIRP CHOCK CHOIR CHOKE CHORD CHORE CHOSE CHUCK CHUMP CHUNK CHURN CHUTE CIDER CIGAR CINCH CIRCA CIVIC CIVIL CLACK CLAIM CLAMP CLANG CLANK CLASH CLASP CLASS CLEAN CLEAR CLEAT CLEFT CLERK CLICK CLIFF CLIMB CLING CLINK CLOAK CLOCK CLONE CLOSE CLOTH CLOUD CLOUT CLOVE CLOWN CLUCK CLUED CLUMP CLUNG COACH COAST COBRA COCOA COLON COLOR COMET COMFY COMIC COMMA CONCH CONDO CONIC COPSE CORAL CORER CORNY COUCH COUGH COULD COUNT COUPE COURT COVEN COVER COVET COVEY COWER COYLY CRACK CRAF
T CRAMP CRANE CRANK CRASH CRASS CRATE CRAVE CRAWL CRAZE CRAZY CREAK CREAM CREDO CREED CREEK CREEP CREME CREPE CREPT CRESS CREST CRICK CRIED CRIER CRIME CRIMP CRISP CROAK CROCK CRONE CRONY CROOK CROSS CROUP CROWD CROWN CRUDE CRUEL CRUMB CRUMP CRUSH CRUST CRYPT CUBIC CUMIN CURIO CURLY CURRY CURSE CURVE CURVY CUTIE CYBER CYCLE CYNIC
DADDY DAILY DAIRY DAISY DALLY DANCE DANDY DATUM DAUNT DEALT DEATH DEBAR DEBIT DEBUG DEBUT DECAL DECAY DECOR DECOY DECRY DEFER DEIGN DEITY DELAY DELTA DELVE DEMON DEMUR DENIM DENSE DEPOT DEPTH DERBY DETER DETOX DEUCE DEVIL DIARY DICEY DIGIT DILLY DIMLY DINER DINGO DINGY DIODE DIRGE DIRTY DISCO DITCH DITTO DITTY DIVER DIZZY DODGE DODGY DOGMA DOING DOLLY DONOR DONUT DOPEY DOUBT DOUGH DOWDY DOWEL DOWNY DOWRY DOZEN DRAFT DRAIN DRAKE DRAMA DRANK DRAPE DRAWL DRAWN DREAD DREAM DRESS DRIED DRIER DRIFT DRILL DRINK DRIVE DROIT DROLL DRONE DROOL DROOP DROSS DROVE DROWN DRUID DRUNK DRYER DRYLY DUCHY DULLY DUMMY DUMPY DUNCE DUSKY DUSTY DUTCH DUVET DWARF DWELL DWELT DYING
EAGER EAGLE EARLY EARTH EASEL EATEN EATER EBONY ECLAT EDICT EDIFY EERIE EGRET EIGHT EJECT EKING ELATE ELBOW ELDER ELECT ELEGY ELFIN ELIDE ELITE ELOPE ELUDE EMAIL EMBED EMBER EMCEE EMPTY ENACT ENDOW ENEMA ENEMY ENJOY ENNUI ENSUE ENTER ENTRY ENVOY EPOCH EPOXY EQUAL EQUIP ERASE ERECT ERODE ERROR ERUPT ESSAY ESTER ETHER ETHIC ETHOS EVADE EVENT EVERY EVICT EVOKE EXACT EXALT EXCEL EXERT EXILE EXIST EXPEL EXTOL EXTRA EXUDE EXULT EYING
FABLE FACET FAINT FAIRY FAITH FALSE FANCY FANNY FARCE FATAL FATTY FAULT FAUNA FAVOR FEAST FECAL FEIGN FELLA FELON FEMME FEMUR FENCE FERAL FERRY FETAL FETCH FETID FETUS FEVER FEWER FIBER FICUS FIELD FIEND FIERY FIFTH FIFTY FIGHT FILER FILET FILLY FILMY FILTH FINAL FINCH FINER FIRST FISHY FIXER FIZZY FJORD FLACK FLAIL FLAIR FLAKE FLAKY FLAME FLANK FLARE FLASH FLASK FLECK FLEET FLESH FLICK FLIER FLING FLINT FLIRT FLOAT FLOCK FLOOD FLOOR FLORA FLOSS FLOUR FLOUT FLOWN FLUFF FLUID FLUKE FLUME FLUNG FLUNK FLUSH FLUTE FLYER FOAMY FOCAL FOCUS FOGGY FOIST FOLIO FOLLY FORAY FORCE FORGE FORGO FORTE FORTH FORTY FORUM FOUND FOYER FRAIL FRAME FRANK FRAUD FREAK FREED FREER FRESH FRIAR FRIED FRILL FRISK FRITZ FROCK FROND FRONT FROST FROTH FROWN FROZE FRUIT FUDGE FUGUE FULLY FUNGI FUNKY FUNNY FUROR FURRY FUSSY FUZZY
GAFFE GAILY GAMER GAMMA GAMUT GASSY GAUDY GAUGE GAUNT GAUZE GAVEL GAWKY GAYER GAYLY GAZER GECKO GEEKY GEESE GENIE GENRE GHOST GHOUL GIANT GIDDY GIPSY GIRLY GIRTH GIVEN GIVER GLADE GLAND GLARE GLASS GLAZE GLEAM GLEAN GLIDE GLINT GLOAT GLOBE GLOOM GLORY GLOSS GLOVE GLYPH GNASH GNOME GODLY GOING GOLEM GOLLY GONAD GONER GOODY GOOEY GOOFY GOOSE GORGE GOUGE GOURD GRACE GRADE GRAFT GRAIL GRAIN GRAND GRANT GRAPE GRAPH GRASP GRASS GRATE GRAVE GRAVY GRAZE GREAT GREED GREEN GREET GRIEF GRILL GRIME GRIMY GRIND GRIPE GROAN GROIN GROOM GROPE GROSS GROUP GROUT GROVE GROWL GROWN GRUEL GRUFF GRUNT GUARD GUAVA GUESS GUEST GUIDE GUILD GUILE GUILT GUISE GULCH GULLY GUMBO GUMMY GUPPY GUSTO GUSTY GYPSY
HABIT HAIRY HALVE HANDY HAPPY HARDY HAREM HARPY HARRY HARSH HASTE HASTY HATCH HATER HAUNT HAUTE HAVEN HAVOC HAZEL HEADY HEARD HEART HEATH HEAVE HEAVY HEDGE HEFTY HEIST HELIX HELLO HENCE HERON HILLY HINGE HIPPO HIPPY HITCH HOARD HOBBY HOIST HOLLY HOMER HONEY HONOR HORDE HORNY HORSE HOTEL HOTLY HOUND HOUSE HOVEL HOVER HOWDY HUMAN HUMID HUMOR HUMPH HUMUS HUNCH HUNKY HURRY HUSKY HUSSY HUTCH HYDRO HYENA HYMEN HYPER
ICILY ICING IDEAL IDIOM IDIOT IDLER IDYLL IGLOO ILIAC IMAGE IMBUE IMPEL IMPLY INANE INBOX INCUR INDEX INEPT INERT INFER INGOT INLAY INLET INNER INPUT INTER INTRO IONIC IRATE IRONY ISLET ISSUE ITCHY IVORY
JAUNT JAZZY JELLY JERKY JETTY JEWEL JIFFY JOINT JOIST JOKER JOLLY JOUST JUDGE JUICE JUICY JUMBO JUMPY JUNTA JUNTO JUROR
KAPPA KARMA KAYAK KEBAB KHAKI KINKY KIOSK KITTY KNACK KNAVE KNEAD KNEED KNEEL KNELT KNIFE KNOCK KNOLL KNOWN KOALA KRILL
LABEL LABOR LADEN LADLE LAGER LANCE LANKY LAPEL LAPSE LARGE LARVA LASSO LATCH LATER LATHE LATTE LAUGH LAYER LEACH LEAFY LEAKY LEANT LEAPT LEARN LEASE LEASH LEAST LEAVE LEDGE LEECH LEERY LEFTY LEGAL LEGGY LEMON LEMUR LEPER LEVEL LEVER LIBEL LIEGE LIGHT LIKEN LILAC LIMBO LIMIT LINEN LINER LINGO LIPID LITHE LIVER LIVID LLAMA LOAMY LOATH LOBBY LOCAL LOCUS LODGE LOFTY LOGIC LOGIN LOOPY LOOSE LORRY LOSER LOUSE LOUSY LOVER LOWER LOWLY LOYAL LUCID LUCKY LUMEN LUMPY LUNAR LUNCH LUNGE LUPUS LURCH LURID LUSTY LYING LYMPH LYRIC
MACAW MACHO MACRO MADAM MADLY MAFIA MAGIC MAGMA MAIZE MAJOR MAKER MAMBO MAMMA MAMMY MANGA MANGE MANGO MANGY MANIA MANIC MANLY MANOR MAPLE MARCH MARRY MARSH MASON MASSE MATCH MATEY MAUVE MAXIM MAYBE MAYOR MEALY MEANT MEATY MECCA MEDAL MEDIA MEDIC MELEE MELON MERCY MERGE MERIT MERRY METAL METER METRO MICRO MIDGE MIDST MIGHT MILKY MIMIC MINCE MINER MINIM MINOR MINTY MINUS MIRTH MISER MISSY MOCHA MODAL MODEL MODEM MOGUL MOIST MOLAR MOLDY MONEY MONTH MOODY MOOSE MORAL MORON MORPH MOSSY MOTEL MOTIF MOTOR MOTTO MOULT MOUND MOUNT MOURN MOUSE MOUTH MOVER MOVIE MOWER MUCKY MUCUS MUDDY MULCH MUMMY MUNCH MURAL MURKY MUSHY MUSIC MUSKY MUSTY MYRRH
NADIR NAIVE NANNY NASAL NASTY NATAL NAVAL NAVEL NEEDY NEIGH NERDY NERVE NEVER NEWER NEWLY NICER NICHE NIECE NIGHT NINJA NINNY NINTH NOBLE NOBLY NOISE NOISY NOMAD NOOSE NORTH NOSEY NOTCH NOVEL NUDGE NURSE NUTTY NYLON NYMPH
OAKEN OBESE OCCUR OCEAN OCTAL OCTET ODDER ODDLY OFFAL OFFER OFTEN OLDEN OLDER OLIVE OMBRE OMEGA ONION ONSET OPERA OPINE OPIUM OPTIC ORBIT ORDER ORGAN OTHER OTTER OUGHT OUNCE OUTDO OUTER OUTGO OVARY OVATE OVERT OVINE OVOID OWING OWNER OXIDE OZONE
PADDY PAGAN PAINT PALER PALSY PANEL PANIC PANSY PAPAL PAPER PARER PARKA PARRY PARSE PARTY PASTA PASTE PASTY PATCH PATIO PATSY PATTY PAUSE PAYEE PAYER PEACE PEACH PEARL PECAN PEDAL PENAL PENCE PENNE PENNY PERCH PERIL PERKY PESKY PESTO PETAL PETTY PHASE PHONE PHONY PHOTO PIANO PICKY PIECE PIETY PIGGY PILOT PINCH PINEY PINKY PINTO PIPER PIQUE PITCH PITHY PIVOT PIXEL PIXIE PIZZA PLACE PLAID PLAIN PLAIT PLANE PLANK PLANT PLATE PLAZA PLEAD PLEAT PLIED PLIER PLUCK PLUMB PLUME PLUMP PLUNK PLUSH POESY POINT POISE POKER POLAR POLKA POLYP POOCH POPPY PORCH POSER POSIT POSSE POUCH POUND POUTY POWER PRANK PRAWN PREEN PRESS PRICE PRICK PRIDE PRIED PRIME PRIMO PRINT PRIOR PRISM PRIVY PRIZE PROBE PRONE PRONG PROOF PROSE PROUD PROVE PROWL PROXY PRUDE PRUNE PSALM PUBIC PUDGY PUFFY PULPY PULSE PUNCH PUPIL PUPPY PUREE PURER PURGE PURSE PUSHY PUTTY PYGMY
QUACK QUAIL QUAKE QUALM QUARK QUART QUASH QUASI QUEEN QUEER QUELL QUERY QUEST QUEUE QUICK QUIET QUILL QUILT QUIRK QUITE QUOTA QUOTE QUOTH
RABBI RABID RACER RADAR RADII RADIO RAINY RAISE RAJAH RALLY RALPH RAMEN RANCH RANDY RANGE RAPID RARER RASPY RATIO RATTY RAVEN RAYON RAZOR REACH REACT READY REALM REARM REBAR REBEL REBUS REBUT RECAP RECUR RECUT REEDY REFER REFIT REGAL REHAB REIGN RELAX RELAY RELIC REMIT RENAL RENEW REPAY REPEL REPLY RERUN RESET RESIN RETCH RETRO RETRY REUSE REVEL REVUE RHINO RHYME RIDER RIDGE RIFLE RIGHT RIGID RIGOR RINSE RIPEN RIPER RISEN RISER RISKY RIVAL RIVER RIVET ROACH ROAST ROBIN ROBOT ROCKY RODEO ROGER ROGUE ROOMY ROOST ROTOR ROUGE ROUGH ROUND ROUSE ROUTE ROVER ROWDY ROWER ROYAL RUDDY RUDER RUGBY RULER RUMBA RUMOR RUPEE RURAL RUSTY
SADLY SAFER SAINT SALAD SALLY SALON SALSA SALTY SALVE SALVO SANDY SANER SAPPY SASSY SATIN SATYR SAUCE SAUCY SAUNA SAUTE SAVOR SAVOY SAVVY SCALD SCALE SCALP SCALY SCAMP SCANT SCARE SCARF SCARY SCENE SCENT SCION SCOFF SCOLD SCONE SCOOP SCOPE SCORE SCORN SCOUR SCOUT SCOWL SCRAM SCRAP SCREE SCREW SCRUB SCRUM SCUBA SEDAN SEEDY SEGUE SEIZE SEMEN SENSE SEPIA SERIF SERUM SERVE SETUP SEVEN SEVER SEWER SHACK SHADE SHADY SHAFT SHAKE SHAKY SHALE SHALL SHALT SHAME SHANK SHAPE SHARD SHARE SHARK SHARP SHAVE SHAWL SHEAR SHEEN SHEEP SHEER SHEET SHEIK SHELF SHELL SHIED SHIFT SHINE SHINY SHIRE SHIRK SHIRT SHOAL SHOCK SHONE SHOOK SHOOT SHORE SHORN SHORT SHOUT SHOVE SHOWN SHOWY SHREW SHRUB SHRUG SHUCK SHUNT SHUSH SHYLY SIEGE SIEVE SIGHT SIGMA SILKY SILLY SINCE SINEW SINGE SIREN SISSY SIXTH SIXTY SKATE SKIER SKIFF SKILL SKIMP SKIRT SKULK SKULL SKUNK SLACK SLAIN SLAN
G SLANT SLASH SLATE SLEEK SLEEP SLEET SLEPT SLICE SLICK SLIDE SLIME SLIMY SLING SLINK SLOOP SLOPE SLOSH SLOTH SLUMP SLUNG SLUNK SLURP SLUSH SLYLY SMACK SMALL SMART SMASH SMEAR SMELL SMELT SMILE SMIRK SMITE SMITH SMOCK SMOKE SMOKY SMOTE SNACK SNAIL SNAKE SNAKY SNARE SNARL SNEAK SNEER SNIDE SNIFF SNIPE SNOOP SNORE SNORT SNOUT SNOWY SNUCK SNUFF SOAPY SOBER SOGGY SOLAR SOLID SOLVE SONAR SONIC SOOTH SOOTY SORRY SOUND SOUTH SOWER SPACE SPADE SPANK SPARE SPARK SPASM SPAWN SPEAK SPEAR SPECK SPEED SPELL SPELT SPEND SPENT SPERM SPICE SPICY SPIED SPIEL SPIKE SPIKY SPILL SPILT SPINE SPINY SPIRE SPITE SPLAT SPLIT SPOIL SPOKE SPOOF SPOOK SPOOL SPOON SPORE SPORT SPOUT SPRAY SPREE SPRIG SPUNK SPURN SPURT SQUAD SQUAT SQUIB STACK STAFF STAGE STAID STAIN STAIR STAKE STALE STALK STALL STAMP STAND STANK STARE STARK START STASH STATE STAVE STEAD STEAK STEAL STEAM
STEED STEEL STEEP STEER STEIN STERN STICK STIFF STILL STILT STING STINK STINT STOCK STOIC STOKE STOLE STOMP STONE STONY STOOD STOOL STOOP STORE STORK STORM STORY STOUT STOVE STRAP STRAW STRAY STRIP STRUT STUCK STUDY STUFF STUMP STUNG STUNK STUNT STYLE SUAVE SUGAR SUING SUITE SULKY SULLY SUMAC SUNNY SUPER SURER SURGE SURLY SUSHI SWAMI SWAMP SWARM SWASH SWATH SWEAR SWEAT SWEEP SWEET SWELL SWEPT SWIFT SWILL SWINE SWING SWIRL SWISH SWOON SWOOP SWORD SWORE SWORN SWUNG SYNOD SYRUP
TABBY TABLE TABOO TACIT TACKY TAFFY TAINT TAKEN TAKER TALLY TALON TAMER TANGO TANGY TAPER TAPIR TARDY TAROT TASTE TASTY TATTY TAUNT TAWNY TEACH TEARY TEASE TEDDY TEETH TEMPO TENET TENOR TENSE TENTH TEPEE TEPID TERRA TERSE TESTY THANK THEFT THEIR THEME THERE THESE THETA THICK THIEF THIGH THING THINK THIRD THONG THORN THOSE THREE THREW THROB THROW THRUM THUMB THUMP THYME TIARA TIBIA TIDAL TIGER TIGHT TILDE TIMER TIMID TIPSY TITAN TITHE TITLE TOAST TODAY TODDY TOKEN TONAL TONGA TONIC TOOTH TOPAZ TOPIC TORCH TORSO TORUS TOTAL TOTEM TOUCH TOUGH TOWEL TOWER TOXIC TOXIN TRACE TRACK TRACT TRADE TRAIL TRAIN TRAIT TRAMP TRASH TRAWL TREAD TREAT TREND TRIAD TRIAL TRIBE TRICE TRICK TRIED TRIPE TRITE TROLL TROOP TROPE TROUT TROVE TRUCE TRUCK TRUER TRULY TRUMP TRUNK TRUSS TRUST TRUTH TRYST TUBAL TUBER TULIP TULLE TUMOR TUNIC TURBO TUTOR TWANG TWEAK TWEED TWEE
T TWICE TWINE TWIRL TWIST TWIXT TYING
UDDER ULCER ULTRA UMBRA UNCLE UNCUT UNDER UNDID UNDUE UNFED UNFIT UNIFY UNION UNITE UNITY UNLIT UNMET UNSET UNTIE UNTIL UNWED UNZIP UPPER UPSET URBAN URINE USAGE USHER USING USUAL USURP UTILE UTTER
VAGUE VALET VALID VALOR VALUE VALVE VAPID VAPOR VAULT VAUNT VEGAN VENOM VENUE VERGE VERSE VERSO VERVE VICAR VIDEO VIGIL VIGOR VILLA VINYL VIOLA VIPER VIRAL VIRUS VISIT VISOR VISTA VITAL VIVID VIXEN VOCAL VODKA VOGUE VOICE VOILA VOMIT VOTER VOUCH VOWEL VYING
WACKY WAFER WAGER WAGON WAIST WAIVE WALTZ WARTY WASTE WATCH WATER WAVER WAXEN WEARY WEAVE WEDGE WEEDY WEIGH WEIRD WELCH WELSH WHACK WHALE WHARF WHEAT WHEEL WHELP WHERE WHICH WHIFF WHILE WHINE WHINY WHIRL WHISK WHITE WHOLE WHOOP WHOSE WIDEN WIDER WIDOW WIDTH WIELD WIGHT WILLY WIMPY WINCE WINCH WINDY WISER WISPY WITCH WITTY WOKEN WOMAN WOMEN WOODY WOOER WOOLY WOOZY WORDY WORLD WORRY WORSE WORST WORTH WOULD WOUND WOVEN WRACK WRATH WREAK WRECK WREST WRING WRIST WRITE WRONG WROTE WRUNG WRYLY
YACHT YEARN YEAST YIELD YOUNG YOUTH
ZEBRA ZESTY ZONAL

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<20220503094908.c14fb70f66a9c0ee86cb2f19@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=268&group=alt.lang.asm#268

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm,comp.os.msdos.programmer
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:49:08 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 3 May 2022 08:49 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:54:14 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> > DOS program for Wordle <=256 bytes

Tested in a CMD box on an XP machine.

DOS redirect version, room to correct the csr display problem, if I can track it down!

-> d 100 l100
16AB:0100 BA E7 01 89-D7 B5 FF B4-3F CD 21 01-D0 95 B4 2A ........?.!....*
16AB:0110 CD 21 92 B9-07 00 F7 E0-88 E0 88 D4-31 D2 F7 E1 .!..........1...
16AB:0120 01 F8 09 D2-75 F0 39 E8-77 EC 50 B8-00 B8 50 1F ....u.9.w.P...P.
16AB:0130 B8 03 00 CD-10 5F BE 8A-01 B6 04 81-C6 40 01 B2 ....._.......@..
16AB:0140 25 88 E0 3C-4D 74 29 3C-4B 74 2B 31-DB B4 02 CD %..<Mt)<Kt+1....
16AB:0150 10 98 CD 16-3C 0D 74 2F-3C 1B 74 2A-24 DF 74 E1 ....<.t/<.t*$.t.
16AB:0160 B4 07 50 2C-41 72 02 04-E6 58 72 E5-B4 0E CD 10 ..P,Ar...Xr.....
16AB:0170 42 80 FA 2A-75 D5 80 FA-25 74 D6 4A-EB CD 80 C6 B..*u...%t.J....
16AB:0180 02 80 FE 10-72 B5 C3 56-57 BF E1 01-AC B1 05 47 ....r..VW......G
16AB:0190 01 CF 39 EF-77 0F AE 77-F6 72 0A 56-57 46 A6 E1 ..9.w..w.r.VWF..
16AB:01A0 FC 5F 5E 75-E8 5F 5E 75-96 BB 20 60-56 57 4E B1 ._^u._^u.. `VWN.
16AB:01B0 05 B4 05 46-A6 88 39 75-06 88 1C 88-19 FE CC E2 ...F..9u........
16AB:01C0 F2 5F 5E 74-C1 56 B1 05-AD 38 DC 74-15 51 B1 05 ._^t.V...8.t.Q..
16AB:01D0 57 E3 0D F2-AE 75 09 38-19 74 F6 88-7C FF 88 19 W....u.8.t..|...
16AB:01E0 5F 59 E2 E4-5E EB 97 00-00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 _Y..^...........
16AB:01F0 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 ................
-> q

Usage:

wordle.com < wordle.txt

Csr L/R, Alpha input, Esc to quit, Enter to test the current word.
Green highlight for exact letter, brown for correct letter but not correct position.

'worlde.txt' must contain a sorted list of 5 letter allcaps words, double spaced (i.e. the next word starts 7 bytes after the previous one).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<87pmh2akp7.fsf@zotaspaz.fatphil.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=331&group=alt.lang.asm#331

From: pc+use...@nospicedham.asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 18:50:12 +0300
 by: Phil Carmody - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 15:50 UTC

"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> writes:
> can post that if required. [I don't think ETUDE is a valid word; I
> changed it to EXUDE]

Borrowed from French, cognate to "study", it's a fancy word for a piece
of music, typically as part of a whole set of them, intended more for
practice than for enjoyment. Plenty of examples in Scarlatti, JS Bach,
Chopin, Liszt, &c.

Of course, exude's a great word too, in particular when delivered
by the right commedian, so both should stay in.

The nice thing is that having the words read in from a file, anyone
can expand or contract it at will.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<20220814171805.580e0bd2e40cbd28af271faf@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=332&group=alt.lang.asm#332

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 17:18:05 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 16:18 UTC

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 18:50:12 +0300
Phil Carmody <pc+usenet@nospicedham.asdf.org> wrote:

> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> writes:
> > can post that if required. [I don't think ETUDE is a valid word; I
> > changed it to EXUDE]
>
> Borrowed from French, cognate to "study", it's a fancy word for a piece
> of music, typically as part of a whole set of them, intended more for
> practice than for enjoyment. Plenty of examples in Scarlatti, JS Bach,
> Chopin, Liszt, &c.

OK.

> Of course, exude's a great word too, in particular when delivered
> by the right commedian, so both should stay in.

I think it was just a spelin erer.

> The nice thing is that having the words read in from a file, anyone
> can expand or contract it at will.

Glad someone's had a go at it!
I got today's one in 5, I had all but 1 letter, but guessed wrongly.

I 'spose I ought to look at the RNG, it's quite poor.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<20220815094838.76838c09b49ed6743e6cd38e@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=333&group=alt.lang.asm#333

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 09:48:38 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 08:48 UTC

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 17:18:05 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 18:50:12 +0300
> Phil Carmody <pc+usenet@nospicedham.asdf.org> wrote:
>
> > "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> writes:
> > > can post that if required. [I don't think ETUDE is a valid word; I
> > > changed it to EXUDE]
> >
> > Borrowed from French, cognate to "study", it's a fancy word for a piece
> > of music, typically as part of a whole set of them, intended more for
> > practice than for enjoyment. Plenty of examples in Scarlatti, JS Bach,
> > Chopin, Liszt, &c.
>
> OK.
> >
> > Of course, exude's a great word too, in particular when delivered
> > by the right commedian, so both should stay in.
> >

> I think it was just a spelin erer.
>

> > The nice thing is that having the words read in from a file, anyone
> > can expand or contract it at will.
> >

> Glad someone's had a go at it!
> I got today's one in 5, I had all but 1 letter, but guessed wrongly.

Another bad set of guesses: Hoist Moist Foist.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<20230705121529.c38019e9cd83bd2a04de4f4f@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=431&group=alt.lang.asm#431

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm,comp.os.msdos.programmer
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:15:29 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 11:15 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 09:49:08 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:54:14 +0100
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

> > > DOS program for Wordle <=256 bytes

New version shows (un)highlights guessed letters at the bottom of the
screen; can type in or backspace (no full screen editor here!), invalid
words are blanked ready for another attempt.

-> d 100 lF5
16AF:0100 BA F5 01 89-D7 B5 FF B4-3F CD 21 01-D0 95 B4 2A ........?.!....*
16AF:0110 CD 21 92 B9-07 00 F7 E0-88 E0 88 D4-31 D2 F7 E1 .!..........1...
16AF:0120 09 D2 75 F2-01 F8 39 E8-77 EC 39 F8-72 E8 50 B7 ..u...9.w.9.r.P.
16AF:0130 B8 53 1F B8-03 00 CD 10-BA 20 60 B8-41 70 B1 1A .S....... `.Ap..
16AF:0140 BF 36 0F 89-05 40 AF E2-FA 5F BE CA-02 BB 0A 00 .6...@..._......
16AF:0150 4B 4B 88 38-3C 08 74 04-09 DB 75 F4-98 CD 16 3C KK.8<.t...u....<
16AF:0160 1B 74 29 3C-08 74 F1 3C-0D 74 22 80-FB 0A 74 EC .t)<.t.<.t"...t.
16AF:0170 24 DF 3C 41-72 E6 3C 5A-77 E2 88 00-43 43 EB DC $.<Ar.<Zw...CC..
16AF:0180 74 0A 81 C6-40 01 81 FE-4A 0A 72 C1-C3 56 57 BF t...@...J.r..VW.
16AF:0190 EF 01 AC B1-05 47 01 CF-39 EF 77 10-AE 77 F6 72 .....G..9.w..w.r
16AF:01A0 0B 56 57 49-46 A6 E1 FC-5F 5E 75 E7-5F 5E 75 9D .VWIF..._^u._^u.
16AF:01B0 56 57 4E B1-05 B3 05 46-A6 88 33 75-05 88 14 88 VWN....F..3u....
16AF:01C0 13 4B E2 F3-5F 5E 9C 56-B1 05 AD 51-B1 05 57 80 .K.._^.V...Q..W.
16AF:01D0 FC 07 75 11-E3 0F F2 AE-75 0B 38 13-74 F6 88 74 ..u.....u.8.t..t
16AF:01E0 FF 88 13 B4-60 88 C3 D1-E3 88 A7 B5-0E 5F 59 E2 ....`........_Y.
16AF:01F0 D9-5E 9D EB 8B .^...
-> q

> Usage:
>
> wordle.com < wordle.txt

[] Alpha input or Bkspace, Esc to quit, Enter to test the current word.
> Green highlight for exact letter, brown for correct letter but not correct position.
>
> 'worlde.txt' must contain a sorted list of 5 letter allcaps words, double spaced (i.e. the next word starts 7 bytes after the previous one).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 250 bytes

<20230715180511.4fa18a1a5751147f3f3c4231@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=434&group=alt.lang.asm#434

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm,comp.os.msdos.programmer
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 18:05:11 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 17:05 UTC

On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:15:29 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 May 2022 09:49:08 +0100
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> New version shows (un)highlights guessed letters at the bottom of the
> screen; can type in or backspace (no full screen editor here!), invalid
> words are blanked ready for another attempt.

Sorry, it got into an infinite loop on Bastille day; this has a "fix" by
having 'inc ax' before redoing the mul.

-> d 100 l100
16AB:0100 BA F9 01 89-D7 B5 FF B4-3F CD 21 01-D0 95 B4 2A ........?.!....*
16AB:0110 CD 21 92 B9-07 00 F7 E0-88 E0 88 D4-40 31 D2 F7 .!..........@1..
16AB:0120 E1 09 D2 75-F1 01 F8 39-E8 77 EB 39-F8 72 E7 50 ...u...9.w.9.r.P
16AB:0130 B8 03 00 CD-10 B7 B8 53-1F BA 20 60-B8 41 70 B1 .......S.. `.Ap.
16AB:0140 1A BF 36 0F-89 05 40 AF-E2 FA 5F BE-CA 02 BB 0A ..6...@..._.....
16AB:0150 00 4B 4B 88-38 75 FA 09-DB 74 04 4B-4B 88 38 98 .KK.8u...t.KK.8.
16AB:0160 CD 16 3C 1B-74 29 3C 08-74 ED 3C 0D-74 22 80 FB ..<.t)<.t.<.t"..
16AB:0170 0A 74 EC 24-DF 3C 41 72-E6 3C 5A 77-E2 88 00 43 .t.$.<Ar.<Zw...C
16AB:0180 43 EB DC 74-0A 81 C6 40-01 81 FE 4A-0A 72 BF C3 C..t...@...J.r..
16AB:0190 56 57 BF F3-01 AC B1 05-47 01 CF 39-EF 77 10 AE VW......G..9.w..
16AB:01A0 77 F6 72 0B-56 57 49 46-A6 E1 FC 5F-5E 75 E7 5F w.r.VWIF..._^u._
16AB:01B0 5E 75 9B 56-57 4E B1 05-B4 05 46 A6-88 33 75 06 ^u.VWN....F..3u.
16AB:01C0 88 14 88 13-FE CC E2 F2-5F 5E 9C 56-B1 05 AD 51 ........_^.V...Q
16AB:01D0 B1 05 57 80-FC 07 75 11-E3 0F F2 AE-75 0B 38 13 ..W...u.....u.8.
16AB:01E0 74 F6 88 74-FF 88 13 B4-60 88 C3 D1-E3 88 A7 B5 t..t....`.......
16AB:01F0 0E 5F 59 E2-D9 5E 9D EB-8A 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 ._Y..^..........
-> q

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 256 bytes

<20230720113803.f2a78e1b8065f79a8a083844@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=435&group=alt.lang.asm#435

From: adm...@nospicedham.127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86,alt.lang.asm,comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Re: Fw: Wordle for DOS in 256 bytes
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:38:03 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 10:38 UTC

On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 18:05:11 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 12:15:29 +0100
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 3 May 2022 09:49:08 +0100
> > "Kerr-Mudd, John" <admin@nospicedham.127.0.0.1> wrote:

> > New version shows (un)highlights guessed letters at the bottom of the
> > screen; can type in or backspace (no full screen editor here!), invalid
> > words are blanked ready for another attempt.

Saved 20 bytes, spent them on putting 'Wordle' as a title!

-> d 100 l100
16AB:0100 B0 03 CD 10-BA FF 01 89-D7 B5 FF B4-3F CD 21 95 ............?.!.
16AB:0110 B4 2A CD 21-92 99 F7 E0-88 D0 31 D2-F7 E5 01 FD .*.!......1.....
16AB:0120 01 D7 92 31-D2 B9 07 00-F7 F1 29 D7-B7 B8 53 1F ...1......)...S.
16AB:0130 BB 0C 00 BE-F9 01 2E AC-88 47 48 4B-4B 75 F7 B3 .........GHKKu..
16AB:0140 34 B8 5A 70-89 87 36 0F-48 4B 4B 75-F7 BA 20 60 4.Zp..6.HKKu.. `
16AB:0150 BE CA 02 98-CD 16 3C 1B-75 01 C3 09-DB 74 04 3C ......<.u....t.<
16AB:0160 09 72 3D 3C-0D 74 15 80-FB 0A 74 E7-24 DF 3C 41 .r=<.t....t.$.<A
16AB:0170 72 E1 3C 5A-77 DD 88 00-43 43 EB D7-56 57 BF F9 r.<Zw...CC..VW..
16AB:0180 01 AC B1 05-47 01 CF 39-EF 77 10 AE-77 F6 72 0B ....G..9.w..w.r.
16AB:0190 56 57 49 46-A6 E1 FC 5F-5E 75 E7 5F-5E 74 09 F8 VWIF..._^u._^t..
16AB:01A0 4B 4B 88 38-77 FA EB AB-56 57 4E B1-05 B4 05 46 KK.8w...VWN....F
16AB:01B0 A6 88 33 75-06 88 14 88-13 FE CC E2-F2 5F 5E 9C ..3u........._^.
16AB:01C0 56 B1 05 AD-51 B1 05 57-80 FC 07 75-11 E3 0F F2 V...Q..W...u....
16AB:01D0 AE 75 0B 38-13 74 F6 88-74 FF 88 13-B4 60 88 C3 .u.8.t..t....`..
16AB:01E0 D1 E3 88 A7-B7 0E 5F 59-E2 D9 5E 9D-74 0A 81 C6 ......_Y..^.t...
16AB:01F0 40 01 81 FE-4A 0A 72 A7-C3 65 6C 64-72 6F 57 00 @...J.r..eldroW.
-> q

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.