Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others. -- Berry Kercheval

devel / comp.lang.awk / Re: writing a good gsub regexp for matching between two specific characters

SubjectAuthor
* Re: writing a good gsub regexp for matching between two specific charactersKpop 2GM
+* The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"Janis Papanagnou
|`* Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"jeorge
| `* Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"Janis Papanagnou
|  `* Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"Keith Thompson
|   `- Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"Janis Papanagnou
`- Re: writing a good gsub regexp for matching between two specific charactersKeith Thompson

1
Re: writing a good gsub regexp for matching between two specific characters

<01c74c85-10d5-4ab1-b6ed-6f6a75e11096n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3422&group=comp.lang.awk#3422

Newsgroups: comp.lang.awk
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 21:11:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: writing a good gsub regexp for matching between two specific characters
From: jason.cy...@gmail.com (Kpop 2GM)
 by: Kpop 2GM - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 04:11 UTC

> "The Awk Book" presumably refers to the original "The AWK Programming
> Language" by Aho, Kernighan, and Weinberger, published in 1988.

I've seen the entirety of the original 1988 book scanned and viewable in PDF format online

( I'll refrain from linking it here since I'm uncertain about copyrights of the PDFs, but shouldn't be too hard to locate via google search or somewhere on github )

That said, even the original authors didn't do a particular good job at selling awk's real strengths. If i began my awk journey with that book, I would've jumped ship to perl longlong ago.

thank goodness I didn't step into that sarlacc pit that is perl5, or worse, raku.

The 4Chan Teller

#####################

The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"

<uab7qe$3mm4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3424&group=comp.lang.awk#3424

From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.awk
Subject: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 17:19:41 +0200
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 15:19 UTC

On 01.08.2023 06:11, Kpop 2GM wrote:
>> "The Awk Book" presumably refers to the original "The AWK
>> Programming Language" by Aho, Kernighan, and Weinberger, published
>> in 1988.
>
> That said, even the original authors didn't do a particular good job
> at selling awk's real strengths.

When I had first read about the awk command I was curiously looking
for more detailed information than just "it's a language to process
text patterns", so I was quite glad to find that book. It came out
very quickly, only a year after the official release (three years
after the stable version had been developed). The book is very well
written and provides everything you need to understand the concepts
of Awk which are, IMO, the "real strengths" of the Awk language. Of
course it's not a long developed "hacker book" with tips and tricks.
Neither does it has all that fancy stuff that we were publishing or
discussing here in this newsgroup during the past decades. I agree
with you, though, that there wasn't - maybe still isn't - anything
worth on that "hacker-level". But I wouldn't blame that old book or
their authors for this deficiency. After all folks who came up with
advanced ideas likely read that book (and maybe other later sources)
to develop application ideas that the original authors did not have
in mind.

And I also think that the more advanced methods that contribute to
Awk's strengths further would likely have repelled possible users;
many are cryptic and not too easy to understand for newbies. - The
book was, IMHO, exactly what was necessary at that time! - I would
still recommend it to Awk-beginners, even today.[*]

> If i began my awk journey with that
> book, I would've jumped ship to perl longlong ago.

I had been starting with that book (and a brain that came for free),
and nothing else. (And at times I'm still locking into that book to
look up things.)

With which sources have you "began [your] awk journey", since you
seem to avoid Perl and enjoy Awk on an advanced level?

Janis

[*] With the cutback of the unpleasantly high price of the booklet.

Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"

<uabq51$1jo1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3426&group=comp.lang.awk#3426

From: some...@invalid.invalid (jeorge)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.awk
Subject: Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:32:33 -0600
<tulgvi$38dnd$1@dont-email.me> <tuo32v$3u6ta$1@dont-email.me>
<8b627b42-d136-4493-a861-692ae198c344n@googlegroups.com>
<87zg8eopw3.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<01c74c85-10d5-4ab1-b6ed-6f6a75e11096n@googlegroups.com>
<uab7qe$3mm4r$1@dont-email.me>
 by: jeorge - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 20:32 UTC

On 8/1/23 9:19 AM, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> On 01.08.2023 06:11, Kpop 2GM wrote:
>>> "The Awk Book" presumably refers to the original "The AWK
>>> Programming Language" by Aho, Kernighan, and Weinberger, published
>>> in 1988.
<snip>
> .. I would still recommend it to Awk-beginners, even today.[*]
<snip>> [*] With the cutback of the unpleasantly high price of the booklet.

Speaking of, I came across an announcement of a new edition:

The AWK Programming Language, Second Edition
https://awk.dev/
"The book will be available by the end of September."

Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"

<uabrtr$3oup3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3427&group=comp.lang.awk#3427

From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.awk
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 23:02:51 +0200
<tulgvi$38dnd$1@dont-email.me> <tuo32v$3u6ta$1@dont-email.me>
<8b627b42-d136-4493-a861-692ae198c344n@googlegroups.com>
<87zg8eopw3.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<01c74c85-10d5-4ab1-b6ed-6f6a75e11096n@googlegroups.com>
<uab7qe$3mm4r$1@dont-email.me>
<uabq51$1jo1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 21:02 UTC

On 01.08.2023 22:32, jeorge wrote:
> <snip>
>> .. I would still recommend it to Awk-beginners, even today.[*]
> <snip>> [*] With the cutback of the unpleasantly high price of the booklet.
>
> Speaking of, I came across an announcement of a new edition:
>
> The AWK Programming Language, Second Edition
> https://awk.dev/
> "The book will be available by the end of September."

It would be interesting to know whether it's just a reprint or
a reworked (updated/enhanced/extended) edition.

Janis

Re: writing a good gsub regexp for matching between two specific characters

<87cz06mpmy.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3428&group=comp.lang.awk#3428

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.awk
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 14:14:29 -0700
sha1:dG6MMQg4t/oIXbVVyMgFhfcvjlE=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 21:14 UTC

Kpop 2GM <jason.cy.kwan@gmail.com> writes:
>> "The Awk Book" presumably refers to the original "The AWK Programming
>> Language" by Aho, Kernighan, and Weinberger, published in 1988.
>
> I've seen the entirety of the original 1988 book scanned and viewable in PDF format online
>
> ( I'll refrain from linking it here since I'm uncertain about
> copyrights of the PDFs, but shouldn't be too hard to locate via google
> search or somewhere on github )

I'm far more certain. The 1988 book is still under copyright, and any
PDF copy that's not explicitly authorized by the publisher is in
violation of that copyright.

(The 1988 AWK book doesn't appear to be available in electronic form.
Amazon has it in paperback for $114.71. The second edition is supposed
to be available 2023-09-22, at a much more reasonable price.)

[...]

Will write code for food.

Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"

<875y5ympch.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3429&group=comp.lang.awk#3429

From: Keith.S....@gmail.com (Keith Thompson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.awk
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2023 14:20:46 -0700
<tulgvi$38dnd$1@dont-email.me> <tuo32v$3u6ta$1@dont-email.me>
<8b627b42-d136-4493-a861-692ae198c344n@googlegroups.com>
<87zg8eopw3.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<01c74c85-10d5-4ab1-b6ed-6f6a75e11096n@googlegroups.com>
<uab7qe$3mm4r$1@dont-email.me>
<uabq51$1jo1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
<uabrtr$3oup3$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:kLKNS4J6bOvfTK3HmAc5BZ9ltnw=
 by: Keith Thompson - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 21:20 UTC

Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:
> On 01.08.2023 22:32, jeorge wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> .. I would still recommend it to Awk-beginners, even today.[*]
>> <snip>> [*] With the cutback of the unpleasantly high price of the booklet.
>>
>> Speaking of, I came across an announcement of a new edition:
>>
>> The AWK Programming Language, Second Edition
>> https://awk.dev/
>> "The book will be available by the end of September."
>
> It would be interesting to know whether it's just a reprint or
> a reworked (updated/enhanced/extended) edition.

A mere reprint would not be called the "Second Edition".

From the cited web page:

The first edition was written by Al Aho, Brian Kernighan and Peter
Weinberger in 1988. Awk has evolved since then, there are multiple
implementations, and of course the computing world has changed
enormously. The new edition of the Awk book reflects some of those
changes.

Will write code for food.

Re: The Book - "The AWK Programming Language"

<uac18h$3pi7m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3430&group=comp.lang.awk#3430

From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.awk
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 00:33:52 +0200
<tulgvi$38dnd$1@dont-email.me> <tuo32v$3u6ta$1@dont-email.me>
<8b627b42-d136-4493-a861-692ae198c344n@googlegroups.com>
<87zg8eopw3.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
<01c74c85-10d5-4ab1-b6ed-6f6a75e11096n@googlegroups.com>
<uab7qe$3mm4r$1@dont-email.me>
<uabq51$1jo1$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
<uabrtr$3oup3$1@dont-email.me> <875y5ympch.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 22:33 UTC

On 01.08.2023 23:20, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>> It would be interesting to know whether it's just a reprint or
>> a reworked (updated/enhanced/extended) edition.
>
> A mere reprint would not be called the "Second Edition".

Ah, okay, thanks for the hint.[*]

I can only speak from publishers hereabouts; "zweite Auflage" (en.
"second edition") just means a new edition after the first one, and
if there isn't anything mentioned like "überarbeitete" (en. revised),
"verbesserte" (en. improved), "durchgesehene" (en. revised version),
"korrigierte" (en. corrected), "erweiterte" (en. extended), or many
other possible adjectives declaring the type of the edition, then
it's usually (or even generally?) just a reprint because of new or
significant more customer demands than originally expected.

> From the cited web page:
> [...]

And thanks for the quote. (I could have looked it up myself but was
too lazy.)

Janis

[*] Though I have also seen in the English domain books that have a
note "rev. ed." adjective (e.g. Bolsky, Korn), so I guess it varies?