Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. -- Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

programming / alt.lang.asm / Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source code?

SubjectAuthor
* Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source codeArlen Holder
+- Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source codeR.Wieser
+- Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this sourcewolfgang kern
+* Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source codeArlen Holder
|+- Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source codeR.Wieser
|+- Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source codeAlexei A. Frounze
|`- Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source codeJJ
`- Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this sourceBonita Montero

1
Subject: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source code?
From: Arlen Holder
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware, alt.lang.asm, comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 00:47 UTC
From: arlenhol...@nospicedham.anyexample.com (Arlen Holder)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 20:47:33 -0400
View all headers
*Which freeware assembler would you suggest a noob use on Windows nowadays?*

Source code was kindly provided today on Usenet's MS DOS batch newsgroup:
http://tinyurl.com/alt-msdos-batch
That source appears to be Intel X86 assembly language code (AFAICT):
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.msdos.batch/JZMlGo_2__E/T18O5XWjAwAJ

In addition, are these the correct newsgroups to be asking this question?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.asm.x86
http://tinyurl.com/alt-lang-asm
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-freeware

*Which freeware assembler would you suggest a noob use on Windows nowadays?*
--
This is the source code:

winmain::
         jsr.l   (GetCommandLine)
                                 ; skip program name
         eor.l   r1,r1           ; not within "" flag
         dec.l   r0
_20:    inc.l   r0
         cmp.b   #0,(r0)
         beq.b   _10
         cmp.b   #'"',(r0)
         bne.b   _30
         not.l   r1
_30:    or.l    r1,r1
         bne.b   _20
         cmp.b   #' ',(r0)
         bne.b   _20
         inc.l   r0

_10:    eor.l   r5,r5
         move.l  #5,r4           ; default: SW_SHOW
_50:    movu.bl (r0),r1
         inc.l   r0
         or.b    r1,r1
         beq.b   _40
         sub.b   #'0',r1
         bcs.b   _50
         cmp.b   #9,r1
         bhi.b   _50
         mulsq.l #10,r5,r5
         add.l   r1,r5
         eor.l   r4,r4
         br.b    _50
_40:    or.l    r4,r4
         beq.b   _60
         move.l  r4,r5

_60:    jsr.l   (GetConsoleWindow)

         move.l  r5,-(sp)
         move.l  r0,-(sp)
         jsr.l   (ShowWindow)

         moveq.l #0,-(sp)
         jsr.l   (ExitProcess)   ; exit program

From: R.Wieser
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware, alt.lang.asm, comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 06:47 UTC
From: addr...@nospicedham.not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 08:47:55 +0200
View all headers
Arlen,

*Which freeware assembler would you suggest a noob use on Windows
nowadays?*

I would suggest you use" Google to do some "research" before posting your
"you guys have to solve anything-and-everything for me" requests in a
newsgroup.

Source code was kindly provided today on Usenet's MS DOS batch newsgroup:

Ah yes, I see Herbert Kleebauer posted that.

So, why not go the obvious way, and ask /him/ which assembler that was made
in/for (chances are he made that code just for you) ?    He might even have
a download link for it.

In addition, are these the correct newsgroups to be asking this question?

Before doing your own damn work ?    None of them.

Enjoy your stay while you can.  This is a moderated group, and the moderator
here doesn't take crap well.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

From: R.Wieser
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware, alt.lang.asm, comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 07:15 UTC
From: addr...@nospicedham.not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 09:15:14 +0200
View all headers
Arlen,

Source code was kindly provided today on Usenet's MS DOS batch newsgroup:

By the way, you missed the ingenuity of Herberts reply.    Copy the block
that starts with "@echo off " and ends with "-----END CERTIFICATE-----"
(both lines included!) into a batchfile, and than simply start it.

He (ab)uses the "certutil" command to decode that certificate block into a
file called "showwin.exe".  Yep, that certificate is the encoded program
itself.  :-)    The sourcecode has only been provided as a reference.

God, man.  You got everything presented on a silver platter (you prefer so
much), and you do not even recognise it ...

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

From: wolfgang kern
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 10:24 UTC
From: nowh...@never.at (wolfgang kern)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Subject: Re: Which freeware assembler would you use on Windows for this source
code?
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:24:48 +0200
On 19.04.2020 02:47, Arlen Holder wrote:

*Which freeware assembler would you suggest a noob use on Windows nowadays?*

Source code was kindly provided today on Usenet's MS DOS batch newsgroup:
http://tinyurl.com/alt-msdos-batch

That source appears to be Intel X86 assembly language code (AFAICT):
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.msdos.batch/JZMlGo_2__E/T18O5XWjAwAJ

This is the source code:
<q>
winmain::
         jsr.l   (GetCommandLine)
                                 ; skip program name
         eor.l   r1,r1           ; not within "" flag
         dec.l   r0
_20:    inc.l   r0
         cmp.b   #0,(r0)
         beq.b   _10
         cmp.b   #'"',(r0)
</q>

:) Now this isn't Intel's. It is Herbert's M68xx86 Windela ...

I'd suggest to use FASMw for windoze, but you can also use MASM snd NASM if you like true Intel-syntax.

In addition, are these the correct newsgroups to be asking this question?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.lang.asm.x86

CLAX is fine but moderated, better avoid cross-posts there.

http://tinyurl.com/alt-lang-asm

ALA is a good choice even often an flaming arena.

http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-freeware

don't know this one.
__
wolfgang

From: Arlen Holder
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware, alt.lang.asm, comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 10:22 UTC
From: arlenhol...@nospicedham.anyexample.com (Arlen Holder)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 15:52:48 +0530
View all headers
UPDATE:

Since this list is based only on my searches and downloads, I make no claims that they're the canonical sites nor I simply ask if this is the correct list of X86 assembly language installers available on Windows.

This is what I've found, and downloaded (but not yet installed), so far:
o *as* https://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/binutils-2.34.tar.xz
  as http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/download.html
o *a86* http://eji.com/a86/http://eji.com/a86.zip
o *dasm* https://dasm-assembler.github.io/
   dasm https://github.com/dasm-assembler/dasm/releases/tag/2.20.13,dasm-2.20.13-win-x64.zip
o *chasm* http://www.manmrk.net/tutorials/assembly/asmutl/chasm4.zip
o *fasm* http://flatassembler.net/http://flatassembler.net/fasmw17323.zip
o *hla* http://www.plantation-productions.com/Webster/HighLevelAsm/HLAv2.16/hlasetup.exe
o *masm* https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12654
o *nasm* https://www.nasm.us/https://fossies.org/windows/misc/nasm-2.14.02-win64.zip/
o *rosasm* http://techemporium.bananabo.xyz/mirrors/rosasm/http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/rosasm_mirror/RosAsm/
o *tasm* https://sourceforge.net/projects/guitasm8086/files/latest/download
o *wasm* http://www.openwatcom.com/download.php
o *yasm* https://yasm.tortall.net/releases/Release1.3.0.html
o /any others?/

Basically I'm asking you for your purposefully helpful advice on this question:
Q: *Which Windows freeware assembler(s) do you recommend for a noob?*
   (given the desire to assemble the given code as the first test of the assembler)
--
There are two types of people on Usenet: one type is purposefully helpful.

From: R.Wieser
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware, alt.lang.asm, comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 11:33 UTC
From: addr...@nospicedham.not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 13:33:02 +0200
View all headers
Arlen,

Basically I'm asking you for your purposefully helpful advice on this
question:
Q: *Which Windows freeware assembler(s) do you recommend for a noob?*
(given the desire to assemble the given code as the first test of the
assembler)

As always you throw a few quite unrelated things together, stir them and
post them as if that mess should be able to get a single answer.

Question #1: Which of those assemblers would be good for a noob ?
Answer: That fully depends on the noob and wat he wants to use it for.    I
would suggest the assembler with the most users.  For the obvious reasons.

Question #2: Which assembler do you need to assemble that sourcecode you
posted:
Answer: Ask Herber Kleebauer, as he wrote it.

There are two types of people on Usenet: one type is purposefully helpful.

:-)  And than there are the "types of people" you heavily depend on to
spoon-feed you the solutions to all the problems you post.   And that
ofcourse means that /you/, as a third type of people, according to your own
definition, do not exist on Usenet. But, here you are.  :-)

Trying to sound "smurt" is harder than you think.   Especially when you
don't.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

From: Alexei A. Frounze
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 11:41 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 04:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: alexfrun...@gmail.com (Alexei A. Frounze)
On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 3:37:14 AM UTC-7, Arlen Holder wrote:
[...]

Um... Do you intend to write programs for Windows?
There's nothing wrong with it, but it may be a bit too
difficult or inconvenient for a number of reasons:
- needing additional linking step if the assembler
  can't produce Windows executables directly
- needing good support for importing and invoking
  subroutines from various DLLs
- using the right DLLs (while msvcrt.dll probably
  exists in every Windows installation, you're not
  supposed to be using it in unintended ways /
  outside of programs developed with MS Visual Studio,
  whereas kernel32.dll, which is perfectly fine to
  import from, may be a bit too low level for some
  uses)
- Windows API itself isn't small or simple

Also, x86 CPUs are far from simple.

So, it may be easier to start writing simple assembly
programs for DOS.

It may also be easier to use a different and more
regular and simpler architecture altogether, e.g. MIPS,
but then you'll need to do it for (and possibly on)
Linux since there isn't Windows for MIPS anymore.

Anyway, if you really want to make Windows programs
in assembly, FASM would be a decent choice.

Alex

From: JJ
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware, alt.lang.asm, comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 05:07 UTC
From: jj4pub...@nospicedham.vfemail.net (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 12:07:12 +0700
View all headers
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 15:52:48 +0530, Arlen Holder wrote:
[...]

If you intend to create Windows-only programs, I'd suggest you use a
Windows-only assembler. i.e. which is not cross platform. Otherwise, you'll
be overwhelmed by terminologies of various platforms referred by the
assembler.

From: Bonita Montero
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware, alt.lang.asm, comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 13:11 UTC
From: Bonita.M...@nospicedham.gmail.com (Bonita Montero)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.lang.asm,comp.lang.asm.x86
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 15:11:35 +0200
View all headers
Download Visual Studio for free and use the integraded MASM.
There might be slightly better asemblers, but the debugger
of Visual Studio is very good.