From: fir...@grunge.pl (fir)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: write code for RLE
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 16:26:00 +0200
 by: fir - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:26 UTC

sorry for starting many threads but soon i will go away for some months
i guess so the group will be get rid of my threads - and until i am
i dont like to ged bored if i code something so i prefer to
start many threads just for fun and with no big reason

here such thread is write code for RLE (run length encoding)
then i cpuld eventualy compare it how i would write it -
it shouldnt be hard task but may be good to compare style
of coding or something (i will probbaly write it a bit later and post
it, but dont know yet know when)

Re: write code for RLE

<uurm53$8s2d$2@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=34950&group=comp.lang.c#34950

From: fir...@grunge.pl (fir)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: write code for RLE
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 16:27:55 +0200
 by: fir - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 14:27 UTC

fir wrote:
> sorry for starting many threads but soon i will go away for some months
> i guess so the group will be get rid of my threads - and until i am
> i dont like to ged bored if i code something so i prefer to
> start many threads just for fun and with no big reason
>
> here such thread is write code for RLE (run length encoding)
> then i cpuld eventualy compare it how i would write it -
> it shouldnt be hard task but may be good to compare style
> of coding or something (i will probbaly write it a bit later and post
> it, but dont know yet know when)

note lek beack tehen years ago when i was learning programming
i noted and somewhat took teh opinion that this RLE is lame
but thinking today its not necessary such lame, simple and basic
doesnt necessary means lame imo

Re: write code for RLE

<uurubp$26j50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=34955&group=comp.lang.c#34955

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 12:47:51 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:47 UTC

On 4/6/2024 10:27 AM, fir wrote:
> fir wrote:
>> sorry for starting many threads but soon i will go away for some months
>> i guess so the group will be get rid of my threads - and until i am
>> i dont like to ged bored if i code something so i prefer to
>> start many threads just for fun and with no big reason
>>
>> here such thread is write code for RLE (run length encoding)
>> then i cpuld eventualy compare it how i would write it -
>> it shouldnt be hard task but may be good to compare style
>> of coding or something (i will probbaly write it a bit later and post
>> it, but dont know yet know when)
>
> note lek beack tehen years ago when i was learning programming
> i noted and somewhat took teh opinion that this RLE is lame
> but thinking today its not necessary such lame, simple and basic
> doesnt necessary means lame imo

Exactly. It is the most basic compressor, for
students unfamiliar with the topic.

Based on reading the code, I wrote one for a different purpose
that runs at 300MB/sec. I used the "concept" of RLE, but on a
different scale. The concept is not without application,
even today. There are reasons to do it. But they may not
seem obvious at first.

Writing a compressor that uses a symbol dictionary, comes next.

A particularly bad one, would be the LZ4 compressor. Discussed here.
Used as a compressor in the Firefox source code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZ4_%28compression_algorithm%29

"LZ4 only uses a dictionary-matching stage (LZ77), and unlike other
common compression algorithms does not combine it with an entropy
coding stage (e.g. Huffman coding in DEFLATE)."

Paul