Subject: Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz locked at 1.4 GHz both cores ?!?
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 12:18 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 05:18:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz locked at 1.4 GHz both
cores ?!?
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
This toshiba laptop which I got from my mother:

Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz

WILL NOT GO ANY FASTER THEN 1.4 GHz both cores ?! WTF ?!

Hyper threading is on, there are 4 CPU "cores" visible in task manager.

YESTERDAY WAS A HOT DAY, SAW TEMPERATURES OF CPU GO TO 93 celcius, GPU 83 celcius.

Today is much COOLER only 24 degrees instead of 28 or 38 degree celcius.

HAVE DOORS OPEN and windows open and 3 FANS blowing for godssakes.

NO DUST in inlet.

HALF TOILET ROLLS under laptop to keep it a couple of centimeters OFF THE TABLE.

airflow optimal for laptop doesn't get any better.

Peaked through grid no dust or cloth visible, there was some in the past but whiped it off, seems clean... haven't opened it yet.

cpuid hwmonitor shows only 65 degree celcius both core temperatures yet the CPU clock stays at 1.4 GHz ?!?

AMD MOBILITY Radeon HD 5000 series.

World of Warships is running in background... in port...

Multiple firefox tabs open....

Power settings/performance settings are set to "performance" / 100% in windows.

In principle game runs fine... BUT THE CORE CLOCKS ARE LOCKED AT 1.4 GHz ?!?!?!?!?

This laptop is advertised as 2.67 GHz ?!?!?! So what the fuck is going on ?!

I can barely play predator hounting grounds on this system... vary laggy/stuttery.... the LOW GHz per core may have something to do with it ?!

What could be causing this weird 1.4 GHz locking ?!?!?

I tried google it, one thread found so far some are mentioned:

1. Maybe some kind of toshiba app that is causing this. Though I tried to get rid of most bloat ware by disabling services.

2. Speedstep in bios settings ?!? I don't know yet what this is ?! Maybe bios settings are limited ?!?

Speculation:

3. Bug in windows ?

4. Bug in processor ?

5. Enabling Hyperthreading reduces clocks in half ?????

6. Thermal throttling of CPU ?

Let me know your thoughts for now I feel cheated.

Yes the laptop was super slow when I saw it at mother's place cause of all the bloatware and security software like KPN beveiliging which suck ass.

Now it runs pretty good, but there is more to be had ?!?

In theory this laptop should be performing TWICE AS FAST ?!?!?

So a BIG WHAT THE FUCKING IS GOING ON ?!

7. INTEL SCAMMING/CONNING PEOPLE ?!?

It is advertised as 2.67 GHz on tweakers.net for example.

No where does it mention base clock of 1.4 GHz.

No where does it mention turbo boosts or anything like that.

If I am wrong and it does advertise it like that somewhere please provide link ?!

8. Was this a known scandel perhaps ? Laptop is from 2012.

I'd love to hear from you what you think is going on with this LOCKING of GIGAHERTZ to 1.4 ?!?!

(One more strange thing I noticed, Quake 3 Arena does not run, says opengl subsystem failed or something like that I did mess with the radeon driver version number to try and get star wars battlefront 2 running, other games do start and run... so this is something strange... but maybe not related to the locking of the Gigahertz. My own corona game that uses opengl 3.0 runs fine it does need admin rights though)

Bye for now,
  Skybuck.

P.S.: When a CPU is locked like this it hits/slows/influences EVERYTHING so I am posting this to a bunch of newsgroups ! :P

From: Kerr-Mudd,John
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 13:27 UTC
From: notsay...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd,John)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 13:27:49 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:18:19 GMT, skybuck2000@hotmail.com wrote:

This toshiba laptop which I got from my mother:

isn't an assembly problem/discussion

P.S.: When a CPU is locked like this it hits/slows/influences
EVERYTHING so I am posting this to a bunch of newsgroups ! :P

Poor excuse.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 12:19 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 05:19:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz locked at 1.4 GHz
both cores ?!?

From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 12:20 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 05:20:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Bug is with CPUID HWMonitor software.

It is reporting the CPU frequency/clock rate wrongly.

I investigated this with other software and my own threadtester, which shows the laptop does perform double and even quadraple the ammount of work as it should and it does spike up to even 2.9 GHz boost clock according to cpu-z for example.

Bye,
  Skybuck.