Subject: Weird Story: Thunder clap destroys Toshiba Laptop power adapter that was "half" connected ?!
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:05 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:05:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Weird Story: Thunder clap destroys Toshiba Laptop power adapter that
was "half" connected ?!
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Holy mother fucking shit of holy god, do I have a weird story for you:

1. So I was gaming/playing world of warships ranked, the laptop shuts down again for the third time.

(Probably cause overheat, again at ambient 30 degrees and cpu/gpu temperatures at 93 an 83 degrees celcius)

2. This time I decided it it was time to open the fucker up and see if there was any dust inside of the heatsink and fan, couldn't see it from the outside.

3. So I start unscrewing screws, decide it's time to watch a youtube video how to do it cause it got a bit complex, find basically same model so I start unscrewing futher and unplugging things etc.

4. I get to the point where I remove the fan and the heatsink/motherboard and indeed that was a carpet of dust and hair blocking airflow, so BINGO ! issue found.

5. I remove it and vague clean the heatsink, everything fine so far.

RAIN AND A THUNDERSTORM start happening ?! Second time when I try to clean a computer thunderstorm happens ?! I think ok no problem I am in appartment complex everything probably grounded... I am safe my PC is safe etc... did have a mysterious power supply failure back then after some months but ok.

6. Anyway I am putting everything back together. I deplugged the battery and I also deplugged the power cable to the laptop. However I LEFT the power adapter attached to the power box/wall socket so it was under power ?! BIG MISTAKE I THINK more about my hypothesis later.

!!!

7. SO I WAS ALMOST DONE with re-attaching everything and this FINAL BOOOOOOM/THUNDERCLAP happens really load. IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE... first a flash ofcourse but it was quite for a while. I SUPRISED ME SO MUCH and it was so heavy I shouted: "HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT".... My instinct told me immediately... this can't be good.

!!!

8. So I plug back the power adapter into the laptop, this was basically the only thing left I had to do and I start noticing this beeping...

I did not understand how to remove the power socket inside the motherboard I put my screw driver in there kinda stupid when I was disassembling it so I was worried maybe I bent a pin... but after re-opening the entire thing I dont really believe this was an issue I could be wrong though...

Anyway so I hear this beeping it's very quite at night 5 o'clock so I am thinking maybe it's because so quiet... but I start listening again and I am pretty sure I didnt notice that before.

It was very quiet beeping almost like coil-whine... very strange... I thought maybe it's charging the battery.

9. Anyway I turn on the laptop... it comes on... windows says windows wasn't shutdown properly which I found kinda weird but ok... so go into normal mode...
Everything works fine... I did forgot to connect ethernet cable.. anyway I plug it in... I start loading world of warships to put some load on the laptop.

The CPU temperature from recollecting only reach 73 degrees celcius or so and gpu only 63 degrees so a very big improvement in temperatures from cleaning this heatsink.

Then I go away as world of warships players are fighting, me washing my hands to clean off the metal smell.

10. And I hear this BEEP... a warning screen pops-up on the laptop: BATTERY POWER IS low...

I am thinking "hmmm that's odd". So I am thinking somehow it's not getting power properly.

11. I checked the power connector to the laptop... Perhaps it wasn't fully in... so finally I decided to shove it in more, but no improvement happens, the slight beeping of power adapter persists.

12. Finally the battery power runs out and the laptop more or less shuts down.

13. I re-open the entire laptop, disassembly it, check everything, everything seems fine... perhaps not pin in power socket of laptop I try and peel it a bit upwards to it connects to the power plug of adapter... but I don't think that really matters that much I could be wrong though...

14. I also check usb mouse plug it's a little bit moisty/wet from the ice nearby to cool me down... but I don't think it was much of a problem and I cleaned it just in case... though perhaps it was a bit wet on first try but I don't think so, maybe on second try but I dried it before.

SO NOW I AM INSANELY BAFFLED about the INSANE BAD LUCK the UNIVERSE IS GIVING ME ?!

THE VERY BIG QUESTION IS NOW, ASSUMING THAT THE LAPTOP ADAPTER HAS FAILED:

1. HOW IN THE HELL CAN A LAPTOP ADAPTER FAIL IF IT'S ONLY PLUGGED INTO THE POWER WALL SOCKET AND NOT INTO THE LAPTOP ?!

MY HYPOTHESIS IS: BECAUSE IT DID NOT MAKE A "FULL CIRCUIT" THE SLIGHT OR MAYBE BIG ELECTRICAL VOLTS/CURRENT FROM THE THUNDER CLAP/BOOM COULDN'T GO BACK AND SOMEHOW FRIED THE POWER ADAPTER ?!

NOW FOR ME THIS HYPOTHESIS IS VERY HARD TO BELIEVE BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE IS WORKING FINE ?! THE LAMP ON THE SAME WALL SOCKET WORKS FINE... I DIDN'T NOTICE ANY FLICKERING OF LIGHTS ?!?!?!?!?!? SO THIS THEORY/HYPOTHESIS ALMOST SEEMS INSANE ?!

2. SECOND HYPOTHESIS: THE POWER ADAPTER ALREADY FAILED AND WAS THE CAUSE OF THE THIRD POWER CUT TO THE LAPTOP.... SO I REGRET NOT IMMEDIATELY TESTING IT AND INSTEAD CLEANING THE LAPTOP, I SHOULD HAVE TESTED IT FIRST TO SEE IF THE POWER ADAPTER WAS STILL WORKING ?! NOW I'LL NEVER KNOW FOR SURE WHAT KILLED IT BUT MY SECOND HYPOTHESIS IS: THE OVERHEAT OF THE LAPTOP SOMEHOW KILLED THE POWER ADAPTER.

3. THIRD HYPOTHESIS: AFTER CLEANING THE LAPTOP, THE USB MOUSE PLUG WAS SLIGHTLY WET... AND SOMEHOW THIS CAUSED THE POWER ADAPTER TO FAIL ?! SEEMS A WEIRD HYPOTHESIS IT WOULD BE MORE LIKELY THE LAPTOP ITSELF WOULD DIE ?

4. FOURTH HYPOTHESIS: ME SHOWING THE SCREW DRIVER INTO THE POWER SOCKET OF THE LAPTOP SOMEHOW CAUSED DAMAGED, STUPID RUSSIAN VIDEO TUTORIAL DIDNT PROPERLY EXPLAIN HOW TO PULL IT OUT, IT WAS ACTUALLY QUITE SIMPLY, JUST PULL IT OUT ON THE CORD BUT I DIDNT KNOW... KINDA STUPID... THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART BUT WASNT EXPLAINED PROPERLY, SHIT SHIT SHIT... BUT STILL A SOMEWHAT UNLIKELY HYPOTHESIS BUT OK HERE IT IS:
ONLY THE + OR - WAS CONNECTED AND NOT THE OTHER - OR + SO THE CIRCUIT WASN'T FULL ? COULD THIS CAUSE A POWER ADAPTER TO FAIL ?????

5. FIVETH HYPOTHESIS: PERHAPS LEAVING THE POWER ADAPTER INTO THE POWER AND THROWING THE OTHER SIDE ONTO THE SLOPPY TABLE WITH STUFF ON IT SOMEHOW SHORT CIRCUITED THE POWER ADAPTER... PERHAPS THERE WAS SOME METAL LAYING AROUND THAT SHORT CIRCUITED IT... THERE IS A RULER LAYING ON THE TABLE BUT I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS CONDUCTIVE OR OF WHAT MATERIAL IT IS MADE OF, I DO HAVE A VOLT/MULTIMETER MAYBE I CAN TEST IT LATER... BUT THE POWER PLUG IS ROUND SORT OF... SO IT HAS TO TOUCH IN PARTICULAR WAY TO SHORT CIRCUIT ?!

DOES THIS EVEN MAKE SENSE ?! IS IT ACTUALLY POSSIBLY TO SHORT-CIRCUIT/DAMAGE A POWER ADAPTER, BY CONNECTING THE - TO THE + ?

IS THERE PERHAPS A THIRD HIDDEN CONNECTION MAYBE GROUND ?!? SEEMS UNLIKELY.... I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH LAPTOP POWER ADAPTERS BUT THEY ARE PROBABLY "FLOATING" AND ARE THEREFORE NOT GROUNDED, SO THERE IS ONLY A + AND A - ????!!!!????

THERE ARE SOME OTHER METAL OBJECTS ON THE TABLE, RINGS FROM A CANNON CAMERA BAG... MAYBE THE POWER PLUG OF LAPTOP SOMEHOW TOUCHED THAT AND CAUSED A SHORT CIRCUIT.... VERY STRANGE HYPOTHESIS.

6. SIXTH HYPOTHESIS, THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I SEE A POWER SUPPLY FAIL ON THIS PARTICULAR WALL SOCKET. THE OTHER ONE WAS ON A PENTIUM III, WHERE I REPLACED THE FAN BY CUTTING WIRES AND REATTACHING THEM I WAS A KID BACK THEN DIDNT KNOW BETTER THE PLASTIC TAPE AROUND IT MIGHT HAVE LED LOOSE SO I KINDA BELIEVED PERHAPS THAT SHORT CIRCUITED IT, BUT DEEP IN MY HEART I SUSPECT THERE IS SOMETHING WEIRD GOING ON WITH THIS WALL SOCKET, PERHAPS BADLY CONNECTED INTERNALLY BUT I HAVE A DIFFERENT HYPOTHESIS FOR THIS ONE.

I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT WITH A DRAWING. BUT FIRST I WILL DESCRIBE THE HYPOTHESIS...

SO ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CHAMBER/LIVING ROOM ALL MY MAIN GEAR IS CONNECTED.
SO ON THE LEFT SIDE ONLY A LAMP AND LAPTOP IS CONNECTED.

SO THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT LOOKS AS FOLLOWS:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
TWO LEFT POWER SOCKET            WALL              TWO RIGHT POWER SOCKET
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

LEFT WALL SOCKET
O ------ POWER BOX OOOOO
                       ------- LAPTOP
                      -------- LAMP
(SO LAPTOP CONNECTED TO LAST SLOT)
(SO LAMP CONNECTED TO SECOND LAST SLOT_

RIGHT WALL SOCKET
0 ----- POWER BOX OOO
                  ------------- MONITOR (ON)
                   ------------ DREAM PC 2006 (650 WATTS OR SO SEASONIC) (ON)
                    ------------ DENON RECEIVER (700 WATT OR SO) (ON)
0 ----- POWER BOX 000
                  ------------- UBEE CABLE MODEM (ON)
                   ------------ BROTHER LASER PRINTER (OFF)
                    ----------- POWER BOX OOO
                                          -------- VENTILATOR (*)
                                           ------- ZIGGO SET TOP BOX (OFF)
                                            ------ CRT TELEVISION SCART  (OFF)

Click here to read the complete article
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 03:55 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:55:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Weird Story: Thunder clap destroys Toshiba Laptop power adapter
that was "half" connected ?!
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com

The sound you hear, is the SMPS trying to recover from overload
and still finding the overload present. Something near the
connector is damaged.

    Paul

Thanks Paul ! (Paul from alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)

After close inspection of the laptop and especially the connector I realize what happened.

I think while I was trying to push/pop this connector out I pushed back one of the metal pins.

It's now probably causing a short circuit of some kind which causes the adapter to beep rapidly.

I made a video about it so you can see for yourself:

https://youtu.be/FmTdumrbHL0

Let me know what you think ?

I am pretty sure that metal pin is bent and needs to be bent back... if I fail to do that this connector will have to be replaced and I am not sure how to do that, pretty crazy to think that this little connector ruins a 1000 euro costing laptop ! ;)

Bye for now,
  Skybuck =D

From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 18:03 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
that was "half" connected ?!
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com
Hi,

Problem solved,

I bend back the outside pin so it doesn't short-circuit the center or back pin or whatever it was short-circuiting ! ;)

It's a bit crooked now but it's working.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/ZBZcN7GYzVQ/edit/advanced

Sometimes in future I will update all 22 videos to show how I disassembled the laptop and recorded the adapter beeing, the bending back of the pin and the working of laptop again.

But for now I have no time to go through the cumbersome settings in youtube per video, tried to do it all at once but not working, some videos remain in draft, so this will have to do for now.

Thank you very much !

It's actually kinda funny how you, Paul, don't see the damage to the connector lol.

It's indeed hard to see cause the external/outside pin is bent inwards, I also missed it at first, after thinking long and hard about it I realized that's not how it should be and a pin/external holding pin or whatever the hell it is is missing ! =D

I recalled the disassembly video of somebody else and there was a pin there... so this is like WHERE IS WALDO ! ;) =D

Bye,
  Skybuck =D

P.S.: Youtube make your menus work better/faster for bulk/many videos !