Subject: project managers know nothing about technical are SHXT
From: Peter Cheung
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 17:03 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 10:03:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: mcheun...@gmail.com (Peter Cheung)
most of the project managers know nothing about technical, they are finding millions of excuse and try to "prove" that they don't need to know technical. If a leader really work in this way. I suggest they go to work as a PM in a nuclear plant or even work in NASA. I would like to see nuclear explosion and rocket explosion. This is totally disgusting that most of the PM job requirement is having a computer science degree, and those PM claim that they don't need to know technical. That mean they were studing shxt in univerisity. And now they want to be the leader of the software dev team. This world is totally crazy.

From: Robert
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 19:05 UTC
From: red...@ev1.net.invalid (Robert)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 19:05:50 +0000 (UTC)
Peter Cheung <mcheung63@gmail.com> wrote in part:
most of the project managers know nothing about technical,
they are finding millions of excuse and try to "prove" that
they don't need to know technical. If a leader really work in
this way. I suggest they go to work as a PM in a nuclear plant
or even work in NASA. I would like to see nuclear explosion and
rocket explosion. This is totally disgusting that most of the PM
job requirement is having a computer science degree, and those
PM claim that they don't need to know technical. That mean they
were studing shxt in univerisity. And now they want to be the
leader of the software dev team. This world is totally crazy.

I understand and sypathise.  We've all been there.

However, there is a well-regarded school (Harvard) of managment
that holds that managment is fungible--MBAs can manage anything
using managment skills without needing to know anything about
the underlying business.  I'm not sure I agree, I see MBAs
often as over-enamoured of their sexy tools and insufficiently
concerned about whether or how to apply them.

In fairness, I have also seen the opposite problem with overly
technical PMs micromanaging tech and blowing personnel decisions.
The key is managers must understand and work around their
limitations whatever they may be.  Unfortunately, some people
and cultures will see this a weakness and not allow it.

-- Robert