Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-) -- Unknown source

programming / alt.lang.asm / Font: Courier New Size: 9 is flawed for programming and other serious documents

SubjectAuthor
* Font: Courier New Size: 9 is flawed for programming and other serious skybuck2000
`* Re: Font: Courier New Size: 9 is flawed for programming and otherwolfgang kern
 +* Re: Font: Courier New Size: 9 is flawed for programming and otherBernhard Schornak

1
Subject: Font: Courier New Size: 9 is flawed for programming and other serious documents
From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 07:20 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 23:20:57 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
I just ran into the stranges code:

var
  Lan1 : SomeType;
begin
  Lanl.SomeFunction();

The compiler nagged it couldn't find the variable.
So I copied the code into textpad which uses slightly bigger font.
Thanks to the bigger font I noticed the difference between 1 and l.
Otherwise it was hard to catch and I might have believed it may have been some strange unicode symbol.

Turns out the courier new font at size 9 is simply flawed for programming, the 1 and l is exactly the same. Even at higher sizes the difference is minor, 1 pixel or so. Perhaps not use this font anymore for programming or make a slight change to it so the 1 and l remains different at hopefully all font sizes !

(My current Delphi 10.2 development environment uses it ! Not sure if this is the default or if I set it like that ! ;))

Euhm my recommendation is to write all C/C++ code for confuscating contests with 1 and l symbols only for futher complexifieing analysis of code ! LOL..

I also took the courtesy of adding this warning to the wikipedia about courier new, feel free to start a wiki war with me and others ! LOL =D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_(typeface)#In_computer_programming

My soon to be famous text added is:

"
Warning
This font is not suited for programming or any other serious documentation. The numeric one and small letter L look to similiar example: 1 vs l
On some development environments it's exactly the same depending on font size, for example at size 9 the one pixel difference is gone.
"

Bye,
  Skybuck.

P.S.: When I discovered this bug I went like: "HOOOOLLYYYSHIIIT"

Then later: "PPPPPPFFFFFFffffff"

Also I am not the first to have found this, there are a few other mentions found by google !

P.S.2: For fun let me know if your current newsgroup/mail reader has this problem too, or your development environment, or document editor would be funny to know ! =D

P.S.3: I wonder if a NASA or ESA space lander will someday crash because of a wrong l vs 1 ! LOL. Perhaps by uploading a wrong script or wrong math formulas ;) :)

P.S.4: I recommend writing a computer program that does a visual inspection of all symbols vs all symbols (for all font sizes) (and even all fonts !) and do a pixel by pixel comparision to detect any other similiar problems or perhaps too few pixel
differences !

From: wolfgang kern
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 03:26 UTC
From: nowh...@never.at (wolfgang kern)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Subject: Re: Font: Courier New Size: 9 is flawed for programming and other
serious documents
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 04:26:27 +0100
On 08.12.2020 08:20, skybuck2000 wrote:
[about courier new ...]

programming hints:
1.) always use fix size fonts
2.) chose fonts where zeros aren't Ohs and B wont look like 8
3.) don't use any fix size font smaller than 12 pixel [best: 8*12 char]
4.) never try to correct interprete down zoomed source lines.
recommended: Courier New or Lucinda Console.

I also took the courtesy of adding this warning to the wikipedia ..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_(typeface)#In_computer_programming

I'd feel much better if you'd never touch wikipedia.
folks like you want to do something good but mess it all up, as usual.
__
wolfgang

From: Bernhard Schornak
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 07:43 UTC
From: schor...@web.de (Bernhard Schornak)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
serious documents
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 08:43:12 +0100
View all headers
wolfgang kern wrote:

recommended: Courier New or Lucinda Console.

I prefer Consolas in 11 pt. size for source code. Definitely the
best and easiest to read font on Windoze systems with sufficient
lines printed on the screen (10 pt is too small)... ;)

Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C5D965wgWFSOAv9lEdvs0vb3Mp92rvhw/view?usp=sharing

Pfüat'Di!

Bernhard

From: Robert Riebisch
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 14:42 UTC
From: Robert.R...@arcor.de (Robert Riebisch)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
serious documents
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 15:42:22 +0100
View all headers
Bernhard Schornak wrote:

recommended: Courier New or Lucinda Console.

I prefer Consolas in 11 pt. size for source code. Definitely the
best and easiest to read font on Windoze systems with sufficient
lines printed on the screen (10 pt is too small)... ;)

Other recommended fonts:
- DejaVu Sans Mono (Dotted 0)
- Droid Sans Mono Dotted 0
- Droid Sans Mono Slashed 0
- Dina (Slashed 0)

But it's also a matter of taste.

More:
- https://developer-tech.com/news/2018/may/16/10-best-fonts-programming/
- https://www.fossmint.com/best-programming-fonts/
- https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+best+programming+font

--
Robert Riebisch

From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 05:53 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 21:53:01 -0800 (PST)
serious documents
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 8:43:17 AM UTC+1, Bernhard Schornak wrote:
wolfgang kern wrote:

recommended: Courier New or Lucinda Console.
I prefer Consolas in 11 pt. size for source code. Definitely the
best and easiest to read font on Windoze systems with sufficient
lines printed on the screen (10 pt is too small)... ;)

Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C5D965wgWFSOAv9lEdvs0vb3Mp92rvhw/view?usp=sharing

Pfüat'Di!

Bernhard

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not sure if you are serious or not.

Hmmm now that I type this message groups.google.com seems to have quite a nice font, not sure what it is, probably not suited for programming though.

The worst font so far I have seen in use on the internet is some kind of "robot" font, that one should be banned... forum.worldofwarships.eu uses it, it's horribly rendered in opera and chrome.

I tried consolas in 11 pt in textpad

It kinda looks a big rough around the ages it doesn't  smooth/alias nicely.... the 1 vs l isn't really that much better.

Also this will take a lot more space vertically. I can't recommend it on smaller monitors.

Maybe it's ok if you have 2k or 4K monitor.

It looks a bit funky but I do not recommend you use it for pro-longed peroids of time it will surely fatigue your eyes.

Plus the reduction in vertical lines will make it harder to see what code does.

Bye for now,
  Skybuck.

From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 06:07 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 22:07:52 -0800 (PST)
serious documents
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 4:27:30 AM UTC+1, wolfgang kern wrote:
On 08.12.2020 08:20, skybuck2000 wrote:
[about courier new ...]

programming hints:
1.) always use fix size fonts
2.) chose fonts where zeros aren't Ohs and B wont look like 8
3.) don't use any fix size font smaller than 12 pixel [best: 8*12 char]
4.) never try to correct interprete down zoomed source lines.
recommended: Courier New or Lucinda Console.

I also took the courtesy of adding this warning to the wikipedia ..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_(typeface)#In_computer_programming

I'd feel much better if you'd never touch wikipedia.
folks like you want to do something good but mess it all up, as usual.
__
wolfgang

What's messed up ? Nothing is messed up... just a little warning added, you are full of POOP :P =D

Bye bye,
  Skybuck :P*****

From: Bernhard Schornak
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 07:48 UTC
From: schor...@web.de (Bernhard Schornak)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
serious documents
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 08:48:51 +0100
View all headers
skybuck2000 wrote:

Maybe it's ok if you have 2k or 4K monitor.

I have a Philips BDM4350 (43 inch, 3840 * 2160). My post was a
suggestion, and you *never* have seen the picture I linked nor
tried it if you argue "there's no difference between 1 and l".
If 112 lines of text still aren't enough, you should turn your
monitor 90 degrees like the old Apple monitors.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/BDM4350UC_00/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display

Winter Solstice is over, so no merry whatever...

Bernhard Schornak