But what can you do with it? -- ubiquitous cry from Linux-user partner

programming / alt.lang.asm / Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphi

SubjectAuthor
* New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphiskybuck2000
+- Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphiskybuck2000
+* Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphiskybuck2000
|+- Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphiskybuck2000
|`- Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphiskybuck2000
`* Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for DelphiRod Pemberton
 +- Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for DelphiMelzzzzz
 +- Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphiskybuck2000
 `* Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphiskybuck2000
  `- Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for DelphiBernhard Schornak

1
Subject: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphi
From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 01:36 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:36:39 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
I forked bitcoin today and will try and spent some "free" time on converting some bitcoin code to Delphi, the repository for cooperation is here:

https://github.com/SkybuckFlying/bitcoin

In case you have not forked bitcoin yet, it should be easy to create your own fork based on mine.

Or you could also set an upstream to mine and get the latest changes.

I think the workflow will be as follows:

The local origin repository will stay true to the remote github bitcoin repository to pull in changes if desired.

I will create a new branch called "Delphicoin" this will be the nickname for this project :)

All converted bitcoin source code should be collected there.

Anybody with pascal/delphi coding experience may join this project.

It's ok to be messy ! =D

Bye for now,
  Skybuck.

Subject: Re: New fun project: Bitcoin for Delphi
From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 01:46 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:46:26 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
It will probably be easier to not fork bitcoin but just use a custom upstream so I will re-make the project on github... standbye for an updated link.........

Bye for now,
  Skybuck =D

From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 01:57 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:57:25 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
I forked bitcoin today and will try and spent some "free" time on converting some bitcoin code to Delphi, the repository for cooperation is here:

Updated link:

https://github.com/SkybuckFlying/Delphicoin

(Not forking bitcoin that network is already way to large, I will just use an upstream much easier that way ! =D)

From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 02:22 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 18:22:21 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
To make it even easier to get started I have created a super project for the conversion effort.

https://github.com/SkybuckFlying/Bitcoin2Delphi

This seems smart to do and keeps both source codes/bases nicely seperated as git sub modules !

Also a nice test case/project to test the functionality of git sub modules !

So the idea here is to take source code from Bitcoin2Delphi\Bitcoin

convert it to pascal/delphi

Then store the converted file in Bitcoin2Delphi\Delphicoin

which is also a git repository.

then commit there... and perhaps pull request it to me...

I might be willing to give access to developers directly to my repositories, so that pull requests are not necessary this can speed up the development...

But for now try pull requests and see how it goes ! ;) =D

For now let's keep the bitcoin source code stable and do not do any pulls... unless necessary for some reason.

So that we are all converting the same code base... I have no idea if this bitcoin source code actually compiles, but we simply start somewhere ! =D

Good luck ! and may the conversion force be with you ! =D

Bye,
  Skybuck.

P.S.: I think it's a smart idea to convert bitcoin, now that it is so valuable... however maybe people are simply having troubles selling bitcoin cause they are having problems keeping up with the blockchain ! ;) =D

Time will tell ! ;) =D

From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 04:53 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:53:39 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
The first source commit is now a reality ! =D

chain.h chain.cpp partially converted as an example of what I had in mind !

Enjoy:

https://github.com/SkybuckFlying/Bitcoin2Delphi
https://github.com/SkybuckFlying/Delphicoin

Also for those developers that are struggling with git here is some help from the top of my head/brain ! ;)

Most common git commands that you should issue/practice in "git bash" console/prompt are:

0. git status
to see current status of git, use this a lot to get the hang of it ! ;) git provides many helpfull hint/status messages.

1. git init
to make empty repository

2. git remote add <repository name> <url>
to setup a link to pull from example:
git remote add origin https://github.com/SkybuckFlying/Bitcoin2Delphi.git

3. git pull
to download changes of others, to download repositories or branches.

(alternatively "git fetch" followed by "git merge")

4. git add .
to add your changes to git tracking

5. git commit
to save changes, enter a 50 character message at the top, press insert first, leave one blank line and make more comments below if necessary max 72 characters, then press escape, then write :wq      (semicolon write and quite)

6. git push
to upload changes to remote repository, fork your own at github.com ! are link above !

7. git branch <branchname>
to create a copy of the current branch to start making changes on.

8. git push -u <remote repository name>
to create and upload current branch to remote repository

9. git switch <branchname>
to switch to another branch

10. git log --graph --all
to see commits and branchs in a graphical text form, quite cool.
uses arrows up and down to scroll through it, press q to quite and return to prompt.

11. git diff <commit hash> <commit hash>
to compare commit vs commit

12. git remote or git remote -v
to see which remotes are setup

13. git branch
to see which branches exist

14. cd <drive letter>
to change to the drive letter

15. cd <folder path>
to change to folder path

16. dir
to show folders and files

Bye for now,
  Skybuck.

From: Rod Pemberton
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 09:16 UTC
From: nomaili...@trgzxcqvbe.cpm (Rod Pemberton)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 04:16:52 -0500
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:36:39 -0800 (PST)
skybuck2000 <skybuck2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

I forked bitcoin today and will try and spent some "free" time on
converting some bitcoin code to Delphi, the repository for
cooperation is here:

Hey Skybuck,

It's been a while since you've posted here and I've responded to you.
The later comments are short, but the first comment is a TL;DR, but I
sincerely hope that you read it in it's entirety, as it explains much
about what Bitcoin is and isn't.  I suspect you and others have some
misconceptions.  So, it's good for you and those working on the project.

a) Bitcoin is not a currency since it's not backed by a government, nor
a bank. Bitcoin is not money since it's not backed by something of
value, e.g., gold or silver. Bitcoin's supply is finite and will be
fixed in the future, what economists call "perfectly inelastic supply."
This means that Bitcoin fails one of the four functions of currency.
Specifically, it fails the "store of value" function. To be a store of
value, a currency must have a constantly variable supply which matches
the variable market demand for the currency, so that the currency's
value can be fixed (non-changing), what economists call "perfectly
inelastic value". Obviously, Bitcoin fixes the wrong thing, i.e.,
supply instead of value. That is, price doesn't change for a currency,
but changes for assets due to changes in supply or demand. If Bitcoin
is not a coin, what is Bitcoin? Bitcoin is a transferable digital number
protected by encryption, which is stored in a distributed digital
accounting log or ledger called the blockchain. As such, Bitcoin is a
virtual intangible asset. Intangible meaning Bitcoin's value is backed
by nothing, and is worth whatever price the market will bear, meaning
whatever someone will pay for it, much like the value of a corporate
brand. Anyone can create a digital number and protect it via
encryption. All other aspects of Bitcoin, such as proof-of-work and
mining of coins, etc are an irrelevant ruse to hide the fact that
Bitcoin is not a currency. So, since no one knows what Bitcoin is worth,
if anything, probably nothing, since it's backed by absolutely nothing,
the Bitcoin market functions as a pump-and-dump scam driven by a Pnnzi
scheme: "Next sucker buys out the prior sucker." The price goes up and
down, up and down, pump-and-dump, new suckers replace old suckers ...
Technically, Bitcoin should be outlawed because it's a Ponzi scheme.
So, who created Bitcoin? I'm not sure who created it, but I believe
that the original version was programmed by at least three people. One
programmer was coding C in the late 1980's or early 1990's (around 52
years old today) and wrote the C code for a Forth-like interpreter in C
and the C code for money transfers, which appears similar to money code
used in 1980's style online role-playing games. Another programmer,
much younger (maybe around 33 years old), wrote the C++ networking and
encryption code. Investigators found that Hal Finney rewrote the
elliptic curve C++ functions in C for speed. Feel free to pass this
entire thing along to those actually working on Bitcoin, if you think
they should read it to learn something about implementing a real
currency, or just so they can get a laugh out of it, since they likely
won't believe any it, even though the currency related portion is the
absolute truth of the matter.  My opinion is that whomever created
Bitcoin, flunked Economics 101 which covers the laws of supply and
demand.  If so, this likely disproves those Australian professors
claiming to be Satoshi Nakamoto, or other intellectuals or academics
suspected to be. Bitcoin's creators also had no real understanding of
how money works or is created, which was a secret kept by bankers
until confirmed recently by economists, but only five years after the
release of Bitcoin in 2014.

b) As with all your past Delphi posts over the decades, this has nothing
to do with assembly and isn't marked as off-topic (OT) in the subject
header.  Why do you continue to post here?

c) What's the point your project? Who programs in Delphi anymore?
I've not seen a single response to your posts here by anyone who codes
in Delphi. Does anyone do so in some other group? You're definitely
going to need plenty of Delphi programmers to maintain the code.

d) It's Christmas, and I'm not looking to burst your bubble, but this
seems like a major time waster to me. By the time you port this to
Delphi, the code won't match with the main project.

--
Recent Bloomberg news reports indicate that Facebook's AI is retarded.
Do we call it AR?

From: Melzzzzz
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 12:50 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
From: Melzz...@zzzzz.com (Melzzzzz)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 12:50:49 GMT
On 2020-12-25, Rod Pemberton <nomailings@trgzxcqvbe.cpm> wrote:

c) What's the point your project? Who programs in Delphi anymore?
I've not seen a single response to your posts here by anyone who codes
in Delphi. Does anyone do so in some other group? You're definitely
going to need plenty of Delphi programmers to maintain the code.

Delphi is used here in Serbia a plenty yet, and I beleave Eastern Europe
mostly.

--
current job title: senior software engineer
skills: c++,c,rust,go,nim,haskell...

U ničemu ja ne uživam kao u svom statusu INVALIDA -- Zli Zec
Svi smo svedoci - oko 3 godine intenzivne propagande je dovoljno da jedan narod poludi --  Zli Zec
Na divljem zapadu i nije bilo tako puno nasilja, upravo zato jer su svi
bili naoruzani. -- Mladen Gogala

From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 23:16 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 15:16:37 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
class CBlockIndex
{
public:
    //! pointer to the hash of the block, if any. Memory is owned by this CBlockIndex
    const uint256* phashBlock{nullptr};

    //! pointer to the index of the predecessor of this block
    CBlockIndex* pprev{nullptr};

    //! pointer to the index of some further predecessor of this block
    CBlockIndex* pskip{nullptr};

    //! height of the entry in the chain. The genesis block has height 0
    int nHeight{0};

    //! Which # file this block is stored in (blk?????.dat)
    int nFile{0};

^ What is this int nFile

{0} ?????????????

Bye,
  Skybuck.

From: skybuck2000
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 17:16 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 09:16:05 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
skybuck2000 <skybu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Rod you write a lot of text and ask big questions, I will make you a deal:

You converted 1000 C/C++ lines of code to Pascal/Delphi (for this Delphicoin project) and I will give you an answer to your questions of 500 lines at least.

For a minimum exchange ratio of 2:1 ! :)

Bye for now !,
  Skybuck.

From: Bernhard Schornak
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 05:56 UTC
From: schor...@web.de (Bernhard Schornak)
Newsgroups: alt.lang.asm
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 06:56:51 +0100
View all headers
skybuck2000 wrote:

You converted 1000 C/C++ lines of code to Pascal/Delphi (for this Delphicoin project) and I will give you an answer to your questions of 500 lines at least.

Why don't you discuss this in the delphi-group of our choice?
This one is called alt.lang.asm, not alt.lang.delphi. I never
heard of an assembler called "delphi", hence, you're probably
posting to the wrong group...

In the hope you'll find the proper NG next year

Bernhard Schornak

P. S.: Use GCC to translate C/C++ to assembler or "delphi" to
        translate "delphi" to assembler, then compile with as.
        Problem solved, everyone is happy...