From: p.p...@orange.fr (Blady)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: [ANN] UXStrings package available (UXS_20210405).
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 10:45:53 +0200
 by: Blady - Sun, 11 Apr 2021 08:45 UTC

Le 06/03/2021 à 19:13, Blady a écrit :
> UXStrings is now available with Alire
> (https://alire.ada.dev/crates/uxstrings), in your Alire project, just
> add UXStrings dependency:
>
> % alr with uxstrings
>
> Thus you can import the UXStrings package in your programs.

> PS: for French readers, while referencing UXStrings on Alire, I make the
> opportunity to write a short howto with ALire:
> https://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr/a_savoir.html#alire

Hello,

A second POC implementation for UXStrings is provided. The source code
files are ending with the number 2 as for instance "uxstrings2.ads".
https://github.com/Blady-Com/UXStrings/blob/master/src/uxstrings2.ads

A GNAT project file "uxstrings2.gpr" is provided with some naming
conventions for both packages UXStrings and UXStrings.Text_IO.

Some API have been added to support ASCII 7 bits encoding for both
version UXStrings 1 and 2. ASCII is a subset of UTF-8 thus no change
with the internal UTF-8 representation.

However, in addition of UXStrings 1 implementation, the API are now
aware if content is full ASCII. On one hand, this permits to access
directly to the position of one character without iterating on UTF-8
characters. Thus this is a time improvement when content is full ASCII.
On the other hand, when content is changing the API check if the new
content is full ASCII. Thus this is a time penalty when changes are not
full ASCII.

English contents as programming text files are composed of lines in
majority full ASCII but they may have some line with characters out of
ASCII set. UXStrings is dealing with both.

Available on GitHub (https://github.com/Blady-Com/UXStrings) and also on
Alire (https://alire.ada.dev/crates/uxstrings.html).

Feedback is welcome on the actual time improvement on your real use cases.

Thanks, Pascal.