From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Olcott can't answer this barber question
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 21:48:22 +0100
 by: immibis - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 20:48 UTC

True or false?
∀x( ({{x}} ∈ Shaves) ⇔ ¬({{Barber},{Barber,x}} ∈ Shaves) )

Note: {{x},{x,y}} is the Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair in
ZFC, normally abbreviated as (x,y) however (x,y) is not defined syntax
in ZFC. If x=y this is the same as {{x}}.

Note: "Shaves" is a set of Kuratowski ordered pairs representing all
shaving relationships in the universe. If {{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves then it
means x shaves y. If ¬({{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves) then it means x does not
shave y.

Re: Olcott can't answer this barber question

<uog651$3kifi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51166&group=comp.theory#51166

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Olcott can't answer this barber question
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:09:37 +0100
 by: immibis - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:09 UTC

On 1/19/24 21:48, immibis wrote:
> True or false?
> ∀x( ({{x}} ∈ Shaves) ⇔ ¬({{Barber},{Barber,x}} ∈ Shaves) )
>
> Note: {{x},{x,y}} is the Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair in
> ZFC, normally abbreviated as (x,y) however (x,y) is not defined syntax
> in ZFC. If x=y this is the same as {{x}}.
>
> Note: "Shaves" is a set of Kuratowski ordered pairs representing all
> shaving relationships in the universe. If {{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves then it
> means x shaves y. If ¬({{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves) then it means x does not
> shave y.

I still don't see any answer from Olcott, despite many other messages
from him. I suppose he needs some time to consider why he is wrong, or
maybe he thinks that ignoring his wrongness makes it go away.

Re: Olcott can't answer this barber question

<uogoh2$3ngha$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51175&group=comp.theory#51175

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:23:13 -0600
 by: olcott - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 15:23 UTC

On 1/20/2024 4:09 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/19/24 21:48, immibis wrote:
>> True or false?
>> ∀x( ({{x}} ∈ Shaves) ⇔ ¬({{Barber},{Barber,x}} ∈ Shaves) )
>>
>> Note: {{x},{x,y}} is the Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair in
>> ZFC, normally abbreviated as (x,y) however (x,y) is not defined syntax
>> in ZFC. If x=y this is the same as {{x}}.
>>
>> Note: "Shaves" is a set of Kuratowski ordered pairs representing all
>> shaving relationships in the universe. If {{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves then it
>> means x shaves y. If ¬({{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves) then it means x does not
>> shave y.
>
> I still don't see any answer from Olcott, despite many other messages
> from him. I suppose he needs some time to consider why he is wrong, or
> maybe he thinks that ignoring his wrongness makes it go away.

This is off topic.
I was only referring to the key precedent where ZFC
corrected the bogus definition of {set} in naive set theory
to eliminate the undecidability of Russell's paradox.

If ZFC can do that then the definition of the halting problem
can be corrected to make halting decidable.

Other than that I don't give a rat's ass about ZFC
or Russell's paradox.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Olcott can't answer this barber question

<uogup2$3ol0k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51189&group=comp.theory#51189

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 18:09:54 +0100
 by: immibis - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:09 UTC

On 1/20/24 16:23, olcott wrote:
> On 1/20/2024 4:09 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/19/24 21:48, immibis wrote:
>>> True or false?
>>> ∀x( ({{x}} ∈ Shaves) ⇔ ¬({{Barber},{Barber,x}} ∈ Shaves) )
>>>
>>> Note: {{x},{x,y}} is the Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair in
>>> ZFC, normally abbreviated as (x,y) however (x,y) is not defined
>>> syntax in ZFC. If x=y this is the same as {{x}}.
>>>
>>> Note: "Shaves" is a set of Kuratowski ordered pairs representing all
>>> shaving relationships in the universe. If {{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves then
>>> it means x shaves y. If ¬({{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves) then it means x does
>>> not shave y.
>>
>> I still don't see any answer from Olcott, despite many other messages
>> from him. I suppose he needs some time to consider why he is wrong, or
>> maybe he thinks that ignoring his wrongness makes it go away.
>
> This is off topic.
> I was only referring to the key precedent where ZFC
> corrected the bogus definition of {set} in naive set theory
> to eliminate the undecidability of Russell's paradox.

By doing so, you showed you have no idea what you're talking about.

> If ZFC can do that then the definition of the halting problem
> can be corrected to make halting decidable.
>
> Other than that I don't give a rat's ass about ZFC
> or Russell's paradox.

Maybe you should try to understand why me asking this question does not
violate ZFC. It might help you understand something about the halting
paradox.

Re: Olcott can't answer this barber question

<uoh0fo$3trm8$7@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51202&group=comp.theory#51202

From: rich...@damon-family.org (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 12:39:04 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:39 UTC

On 1/20/24 10:23 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/20/2024 4:09 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/19/24 21:48, immibis wrote:
>>> True or false?
>>> ∀x( ({{x}} ∈ Shaves) ⇔ ¬({{Barber},{Barber,x}} ∈ Shaves) )
>>>
>>> Note: {{x},{x,y}} is the Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair in
>>> ZFC, normally abbreviated as (x,y) however (x,y) is not defined
>>> syntax in ZFC. If x=y this is the same as {{x}}.
>>>
>>> Note: "Shaves" is a set of Kuratowski ordered pairs representing all
>>> shaving relationships in the universe. If {{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves then
>>> it means x shaves y. If ¬({{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves) then it means x does
>>> not shave y.
>>
>> I still don't see any answer from Olcott, despite many other messages
>> from him. I suppose he needs some time to consider why he is wrong, or
>> maybe he thinks that ignoring his wrongness makes it go away.
>
> This is off topic.
> I was only referring to the key precedent where ZFC
> corrected the bogus definition of {set} in naive set theory
> to eliminate the undecidability of Russell's paradox.
>
> If ZFC can do that then the definition of the halting problem
> can be corrected to make halting decidable.
>
> Other than that I don't give a rat's ass about ZFC
> or Russell's paradox.

ZFC didn't "Redefine" Naive Set Theory.

It created a new ZFC set theory.

If you want to talk about PO-Computation Theory, go ahead, just make
sure you qualify all your usages to make it clear you are not talking
about the accepted Computation Theory,

Note, Naive Set theory had been proven "broken" before ZFC was worked
on, and it was a hot topic to figure out how to create a new version of
set theory.

If you can actually show a similar problem with Computation Theory,
maybe you could get more traction, but this seems to b something you
can't do. You show how it creates concepts that you don't like, largely
because you don't actually understand them, but you haven't demonstrated
a inconsistancy anywhere like that of the Russel Paradox that showed
Naive Set Theory to be untenable.

Re: Olcott can't answer this barber question

<uoitsn$5dmu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51291&group=comp.theory#51291

From: mikko.le...@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:07:04 +0200
 by: Mikko - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:07 UTC

On 2024-01-20 15:23:13 +0000, olcott said:

> On 1/20/2024 4:09 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/19/24 21:48, immibis wrote:
>>> True or false?
>>> ∀x( ({{x}} ∈ Shaves) ⇔ ¬({{Barber},{Barber,x}} ∈ Shaves) )
>>>
>>> Note: {{x},{x,y}} is the Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair in
>>> ZFC, normally abbreviated as (x,y) however (x,y) is not defined syntax
>>> in ZFC. If x=y this is the same as {{x}}.
>>>
>>> Note: "Shaves" is a set of Kuratowski ordered pairs representing all
>>> shaving relationships in the universe. If {{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves then it
>>> means x shaves y. If ¬({{x},{x,y}} ∈ Shaves) then it means x does not
>>> shave y.
>>
>> I still don't see any answer from Olcott, despite many other messages
>> from him. I suppose he needs some time to consider why he is wrong, or
>> maybe he thinks that ignoring his wrongness makes it go away.
>
> This is off topic.
> I was only referring to the key precedent where ZFC
> corrected the bogus definition of {set} in naive set theory
> to eliminate the undecidability of Russell's paradox.
>
> If ZFC can do that then the definition of the halting problem
> can be corrected to make halting decidable.
>
> Other than that I don't give a rat's ass about ZFC
> or Russell's paradox.

Russell's paradox is not undecidable in the naive type theory.
Both R ∈ R and R ∉ R can be proven.

Mikko