From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Proof that Olcott doesn't understand proof by contradiction
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 02:20:22 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 01:20 UTC

I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time.

(1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
(2) Sand and grass are different colours.
From (1) and (2) we get immediately:
(3) I am not camouflaged in sand right now.

No! I don't like this! I said I was camouflaged in all environments!

What if we just reverse (3):

(1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
(2) Sand and grass are different colours.
(3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.

No! I don't like this! There's a self-contradiction!

What if we just delete (1) and (2):

(3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.

Perfect. See, now that I've just deleted the annoying contradictions
from my paper, I must be right because I have not written down any
contradictions.

Re: Proof that Olcott doesn't understand proof by contradiction

<uoogro$19uck$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51605&group=comp.theory#51605

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:01:28 +0100
 by: immibis - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:01 UTC

On 1/22/24 02:20, immibis wrote:
> I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time.
>
> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
> From (1) and (2) we get immediately:
> (3) I am not camouflaged in sand right now.
>
> No! I don't like this! I said I was camouflaged in all environments!
>
> What if we just reverse (3):
>
> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>
> No! I don't like this! There's a self-contradiction!
>
> What if we just delete (1) and (2):
>
> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>
> Perfect. See, now that I've just deleted the annoying contradictions
> from my paper, I must be right because I have not written down any
> contradictions.

Olcott cannot comment on this because it shows how much he doesn't
understand.

Re: Proof that Olcott doesn't understand proof by contradiction

<uooskn$1bdq1$17@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51634&group=comp.theory#51634

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 11:22:31 -0600
 by: olcott - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:22 UTC

On 1/23/2024 8:01 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/22/24 02:20, immibis wrote:
>> I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time.
>>
>> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
>> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
>>  From (1) and (2) we get immediately:
>> (3) I am not camouflaged in sand right now.
>>
>> No! I don't like this! I said I was camouflaged in all environments!
>>
>> What if we just reverse (3):
>>
>> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
>> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
>> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>>
>> No! I don't like this! There's a self-contradiction!
>>
>> What if we just delete (1) and (2):
>>
>> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>>
>> Perfect. See, now that I've just deleted the annoying contradictions
>> from my paper, I must be right because I have not written down any
>> contradictions.
>
> Olcott cannot comment on this because it shows how much he doesn't
> understand.

Proof by contradiction is not exactly the same thing the fact that
self-contradictory questions have no correct answers.

That no one ever bothered to pay enough attention to see the
difference does not entail that this difference does not exist.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: Proof that Olcott doesn't understand proof by contradiction

<uootqh$1c8fu$13@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=51646&group=comp.theory#51646

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:42:41 +0100
 by: immibis - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:42 UTC

On 1/23/24 18:22, olcott wrote:
> On 1/23/2024 8:01 AM, immibis wrote:
>> On 1/22/24 02:20, immibis wrote:
>>> I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time.
>>>
>>> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
>>> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
>>>  From (1) and (2) we get immediately:
>>> (3) I am not camouflaged in sand right now.
>>>
>>> No! I don't like this! I said I was camouflaged in all environments!
>>>
>>> What if we just reverse (3):
>>>
>>> (1) I am camouflaged in grass right now.
>>> (2) Sand and grass are different colours.
>>> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>>>
>>> No! I don't like this! There's a self-contradiction!
>>>
>>> What if we just delete (1) and (2):
>>>
>>> (3) I am camouflaged in sand right now.
>>>
>>> Perfect. See, now that I've just deleted the annoying contradictions
>>> from my paper, I must be right because I have not written down any
>>> contradictions.
>>
>> Olcott cannot comment on this because it shows how much he doesn't
>> understand.
>
> Proof by contradiction is not exactly the same thing the fact that
> self-contradictory questions have no correct answers.

"I am camouflaged in all environments at the same time" is
self-contradictory. The correct answer is: "No you're not."