Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 10:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_sdlada,_löve,_and_programming_for_beginners
From: darek.ma...@gmail.com (darek)
 by: darek - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 17:45 UTC

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 at 12:41:01 UTC+1, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Hello.
>
> At FOSDEM, my colleague Thomas Maluszycki gave a talk[1] about rapid
> application development in Ada. This made me think. You see, I have a
> 14-year-old son whom I teach programming to. He is lukewarm about it
> but I think it is my duty as a parent to give him basic education in
> this field, as computers are already everywhere and will probably govern
> his live even more than ours. So I played with him with Colobot[2],
> taught him a little bit of Ada (with the French translation of Barnes'
> book for Ada 95), a little bit of ZX Spectrum BASIC, and now he's
> writing a Pong clone with the LÖVE framework[3], in Lua[4]. This
> framework makes it very easy to have immediate results... but Lua lacks
> strong typing and in particular range checking, and a debugger.
>
> So it occurred to me that LÖVE is really a Lua binding to SDL plus a
> predefined event loop, and that it would be quite easy to do something
> similar based on the sdlada thick binding. The goal would be to attract
> teenage programmers to the language and to programming in general.
> Possibly on a Raspberry Pi. I'd be willing to make a Debian package for
> it. What do you think?
>
> [1] https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/ada_rad/
> [2] http://colobot.info/
> [3] http://love2d.org/
> [4] https://www.lua.org/
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.
> The partners leverage consumer-facing potentials.

Hi Ludovic,
there could be an alternative for teaching kids programming. Have a look at Object Oriented Turing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_(programming_language)).
Strong typed, with a simple syntax, and powerful constructs. The language was used at University of Toronto, and in high schools in Ontario.

The only drawback is that the system is no longer maintained.

- Object Oriented Turing Reference:
http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/OOTRef.pdf" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/OOTRef.pdf
- Introduction to Programming in Turing:
http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/IPT.pdf
- The environment:
http://tristan.hume.ca/openturing/
- ... and more here ...