From: 864-117-...@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: New version 5 of pw ("Pipe Watch").
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 18:28:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 18:28 UTC

https://www.kylheku.com/cgit/pw/

pw is an interactive tool (requiring a Unix TTY environment with
an ANSI terminal) for monitoring text spewages in real time.

The paradigm in pw is to pass text through a line-oriented FIFO buffer,
samples of which are displayed. There are filtering and triggered
snapshot features, split screen mechanisms for dealing with long lines,
viewing character-level deltas between snapshots and more.

pw supports being backgrounded with job control. When executing in the
job control background, it refrains from updating the terminal display;
yet it keeps peforming I/O, and all of its filtering and triggering
features are active. When brought into the foreground, it will refresh
the display with the latest data. This makes pw userful as a front end
for long-running batch programs that generate a lot of output (e.g.
debug traces).

pw is diferent form pv (Pipe View) in that it visualizes the
data itself, rather than statistics about it such as data
transfer rate; it is for drilling into the data, rather than
monitoring progress. It is oriented toward textual data such as
logs.

* The latest version 5 of pw now supports pass-through mode.
Whereas pw previously served as a pipeline endpoint can now be
inserted into the middle of a pipeline, or, as the last pipe element,
have its output redirected to a file. It then passes through
everything in addition to doing all the usual interactive monitoring.
Pass-through mode is automatically in effect whenever the standard
output file descriptor refers to something other than the controlling
terminal. When standard output is the controlling terminal, then pw
is in the original discard mode: data from standard input is
passed through the FIFO and discarded, so that all that goes to the
terminal are pw's controlled display updates.

* Other recent developments are that pw has been ported to
MacOS. It previously didn't work due to requiring a poll
funtion that works on TTY devices.

* A minor new feature is that in highlight mode, the line numbers
of lines which triggered the snapshot capture are shown in
inverse video, making it easier to see what is trigerring.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca

Re: New version 5 of pw ("Pipe Watch").

<15849104-10a7-4617-b3df-6027f69b6269n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6356&group=comp.unix.shell#6356

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 11:37:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: New version 5 of pw ("Pipe Watch").
From: guinness...@gmail.com (Tony Oliver)
 by: Tony Oliver - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:37 UTC

On Friday, 9 June 2023 at 19:28:40 UTC+1, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> https://www.kylheku.com/cgit/pw/
>
> pw is an interactive tool (requiring a Unix TTY environment with
> an ANSI terminal) for monitoring text spewages in real time.
>
> The paradigm in pw is to pass text through a line-oriented FIFO buffer,
> samples of which are displayed. There are filtering and triggered
> snapshot features, split screen mechanisms for dealing with long lines,
> viewing character-level deltas between snapshots and more.
>
> pw supports being backgrounded with job control. When executing in the
> job control background, it refrains from updating the terminal display;
> yet it keeps peforming I/O, and all of its filtering and triggering
> features are active. When brought into the foreground, it will refresh
> the display with the latest data. This makes pw userful as a front end
> for long-running batch programs that generate a lot of output (e.g.
> debug traces).
>
> pw is diferent form pv (Pipe View) in that it visualizes the
> data itself, rather than statistics about it such as data
> transfer rate; it is for drilling into the data, rather than
> monitoring progress. It is oriented toward textual data such as
> logs.
>
> * The latest version 5 of pw now supports pass-through mode.
> Whereas pw previously served as a pipeline endpoint can now be
> inserted into the middle of a pipeline, or, as the last pipe element,
> have its output redirected to a file. It then passes through
> everything in addition to doing all the usual interactive monitoring.
> Pass-through mode is automatically in effect whenever the standard
> output file descriptor refers to something other than the controlling
> terminal. When standard output is the controlling terminal, then pw
> is in the original discard mode: data from standard input is
> passed through the FIFO and discarded, so that all that goes to the
> terminal are pw's controlled display updates.
>
> * Other recent developments are that pw has been ported to
> MacOS. It previously didn't work due to requiring a poll
> funtion that works on TTY devices.
>
> * A minor new feature is that in highlight mode, the line numbers
> of lines which triggered the snapshot capture are shown in
> inverse video, making it easier to see what is trigerring.
>

> --
> TXR Programming Language: http://nongnu.org/txr
> Cygnal: Cygwin Native Application Library: http://kylheku.com/cygnal
> Mastodon: @Kazi...@mstdn.ca