devel / comp.lang.ada / Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

SubjectAuthor
* Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Niklas Holsti
+- Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Dmitry A. Kazakov
+* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Simon Wright
|+* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Luke A. Guest
||`* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Niklas Holsti
|| `- Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Luke A. Guest
|`* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Niklas Holsti
| `* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Luke A. Guest
|  `* Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Niklas Holsti
|   `- Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Luke A. Guest
`- Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?Tero Koskinen

1
Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<ja6aipFjonvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6737&group=comp.lang.ada#6737

From: niklas.h...@tidorum.invalid (Niklas Holsti)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:56:56 +0200
 by: Niklas Holsti - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:56 UTC

I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat) for
building the SW, ideally on several platforms?

At the moment, my main candidate is OSDN, but they explicitly do not
provide any compilers.

TIA for any suggestions, whether with build tools or without.

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<t1l9gt$1ac$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6745&group=comp.lang.ada#6745

From: mail...@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:43:11 +0100
 by: Dmitry A. Kazakov - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 20:43 UTC

On 2022-03-25 17:56, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat) for
> building the SW, ideally on several platforms?

Wow, that would be huge. Let us know if you find any.

> At the moment, my main candidate is OSDN, but they explicitly do not
> provide any compilers.

I am using sourceforge, it is much better than GitHub, IMO, clean
interface, has all bells-and-whistles, easy to automate upload.

I cannot say anything about OSDN.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<ly35j5n3w5.fsf@pushface.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6746&group=comp.lang.ada#6746

From: sim...@pushface.org (Simon Wright)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:00:58 +0000
 by: Simon Wright - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:00 UTC

Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:

> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?

Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<t1lakj$hps$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6747&group=comp.lang.ada#6747

From: lagu...@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:01:31 +0000
 by: Luke A. Guest - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:01 UTC

On 25/03/2022 21:00, Simon Wright wrote:
> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:
>
>> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
>> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
>> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
>> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
>> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>
> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.

AdaCore has one for GNAT.

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<ja9724F64c2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6756&group=comp.lang.ada#6756

From: niklas.h...@tidorum.invalid (Niklas Holsti)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:15:16 +0200
 by: Niklas Holsti - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 19:15 UTC

On 2022-03-25 23:00, Simon Wright wrote:
> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:
>
>> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
>> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
>> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
>> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
>> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>
> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.

Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
Action?

I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any list
of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
about Ada compilation.

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<ja974lF64c2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6757&group=comp.lang.ada#6757

From: niklas.h...@tidorum.invalid (Niklas Holsti)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:16:37 +0200
 by: Niklas Holsti - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 19:16 UTC

On 2022-03-25 23:01, Luke A. Guest wrote:
> On 25/03/2022 21:00, Simon Wright wrote:
>> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
>>> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
>>> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
>>> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat)
>>> for building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>>
>> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.
>
> AdaCore has one for GNAT.

But they may be using their own compiler, instead of a preinstalled
compiler provided by GitHub for all users. Do you know?

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<t1nv0m$ldv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6758&group=comp.lang.ada#6758

From: lagu...@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:01:33 +0000
 by: Luke A. Guest - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:01 UTC

On 26/03/2022 19:16, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> On 2022-03-25 23:01, Luke A. Guest wrote:

>>> Github Actions do this; though I've never set them up for myself.
>>
>> AdaCore has one for GNAT.
>

> But they may be using their own compiler, instead of a preinstalled
> compiler provided by GitHub for all users. Do you know?

They have FSF GNAT too.

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<t1nv5n$ldv$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6759&group=comp.lang.ada#6759

From: lagu...@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:04:13 +0000
 by: Luke A. Guest - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:04 UTC

On 26/03/2022 19:15, Niklas Holsti wrote:

> Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
> Action?
>
> I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any list
> of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
> mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
> about Ada compilation.

https://github.com/marketplace/actions/ada-actions-toolchain

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<ja9ftkF7qegU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6760&group=comp.lang.ada#6760

From: niklas.h...@tidorum.invalid (Niklas Holsti)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 23:46:26 +0200
 by: Niklas Holsti - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:46 UTC

On 2022-03-26 23:04, Luke A. Guest wrote:

> On 26/03/2022 19:15, Niklas Holsti wrote:
>
>> Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
>> Action?
>>
>> I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any list
>> of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
>> mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
>> about Ada compilation.
>
> https://github.com/marketplace/actions/ada-actions-toolchain

Thanks! Looks like GitHub will be my choice, although I am usually a bit
Microsoft-allergic.

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<t1q1mt$1u86$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6763&group=comp.lang.ada#6763

From: lagu...@archeia.com (Luke A. Guest)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:59:47 +0100
 by: Luke A. Guest - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 15:59 UTC

On 26/03/2022 21:46, Niklas Holsti wrote:
> On 2022-03-26 23:04, Luke A. Guest wrote:
>>
>> On 26/03/2022 19:15, Niklas Holsti wrote:
>>
>>> Are you sure that they provide Ada compilers that can be called in an
>>> Action?
>>>
>>> I tried to find out on the GitHub website, but could not find any
>>> list of all the supported languages, and the specific languages they
>>> mentioned did not include Ada, and the Search function found nothing
>>> about Ada compilation.
>>
>> https://github.com/marketplace/actions/ada-actions-toolchain
>

> Thanks! Looks like GitHub will be my choice, although I am usually a bit
> Microsoft-allergic.

Aren't we all?

Re: Source-code hosting with Ada build tools?

<20220329213809.16b1b9282eaf11a1e53cca12@iki.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6769&group=comp.lang.ada#6769

From: tero.kos...@iki.fi (Tero Koskinen)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:38:09 +0300
 by: Tero Koskinen - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 18:38 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:56:56 +0200
Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> wrote:

> I'm planning to move a biggish Ada project from being hosted on my own
> website to some hosting service, such as GitHub or OSDN. Are there any
> such services that, in addition to a source-code repository, bug
> reporting, etc., also offer access to Ada compilers (that is, gnat) for
> building the SW, ideally on several platforms?
>
> At the moment, my main candidate is OSDN, but they explicitly do not
> provide any compilers.
>
> TIA for any suggestions, whether with build tools or without.

I have my Ahven library and other things at Sourcehut.org:
https://hg.sr.ht/~tkoskine/ahven/

They offer generic build service also. For example see one build
log from Ahven: https://builds.sr.ht/~tkoskine/job/675294

The build configurations are Yaml files:
https://hg.sr.ht/~tkoskine/ahven/browse/.builds?rev=tip

Of course, the software on the build service is limited to
open source operating systems and compilers (Linux, *BSDs, GNAT).

Commercial Ada compilers (like ObjectAda or Janus/Ada) are not
supported.

For commercial Ada compilers, I run internal homelab network with
Jenkins master on RPi4 and couple of Windows build slaves, which fetch
the source code from Sourcehut periodically.

And before starting to use Sourcehut, read the caveats page:
https://sourcehut.org/alpha-details/

I also think that Sourcehut doesn't support hosting of "random"
binaries, like hand-crafted release tar balls. This kind of things
I locate on a separate virtual server.

--
Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi>