Subject: Re: The Psychology of Self-Reference Daryl McCullough Jun 25, 2004,
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,comp.lang.c
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:47:16 -0500
 by: olcott - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 01:47 UTC

On 6/30/2021 7:04 PM, wij wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 22:00:42 UTC+8, olcott wrote:

>>> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of determining, fromal description
>>> of an arbitrary computer program and an input, whether the program will finish running, or
>>> continue to run forever...
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
>>>
>>> Your paper says from the beginning:
>>> When halting is defined as any computation that halts without ever having its
>>> simulation aborted then it can be understood that partial halt decider H
>>> correctly decides that its input does not halt on the simplified version of the Linz Ĥ...
>>>
>>> Conclusion:
>>> The paper is not talking about "the halting problem". The rebuttal in the paper
>>> is made to an assumption the author created in his mind. H proves itself nothing
>>> different from performing a function
>>> bool H(...) {
>>> return false; // or true
>>> };
>>> No real thing inside.
>>>
>> https://groups.google.com/g/sci.logic/c/4kIXI1kxmsI/m/hRroMoQZx2IJ
>>
>> The Psychology of Self-Reference
>> Daryl McCullough
>> Jun 25, 2004, 6:30:39 PM
>>
>> It is becoming increasingly clear that Peter Olcott and Herc have
>> no coherent mathematical argument for rejecting Godel's theorem
>> and Turing's proof of the unsolvability of the halting problem.
>> Their objections are really psychological---they feel that the
>> proofs are somehow a cheat, but they lack the mathematical ability
>> to say why.
>>
>> I'd like to talk about the psychology of why people sometimes feel
>> that Godel's and Turing's proofs are somehow cheats. Partly, it is
>> the fault of informal intuitive expositions of the results.
>>
>> Both Godel's proof and Turing's proof have the flavor of using
>> self-reference to force someone to make a mistake. Both cases
>> seem a little like the following paradox (call it the "Gotcha"
>> paradox).
>>
>> You ask someone (we'll call him "Jack") to give a truthful
>> yes/no answer to the following question:
>>
>> Will Jack's answer to this question be no?
>>
>> Jack can't possibly give a correct yes/no answer to the question.
>>
>> While the Gotcha paradox gives some of the flavor of Godel's
>> proof or Turing's proof, there is one big difference, and this
>> difference is what makes people feel like there is something
>> fishy going on: In the case of the Gotcha paradox, it
>> is possible for Jack to *know* the answer, but to be
>> prevented by the rules from *saying* the answer.
>>
>> In other words, there is a gap between what Jack knows
>> and what he can say. He knows that the answer to the question
>> is "no", but he can't say that answer, because that would
>> make the answer incorrect. So this informal paradox doesn't
>> really reveal any limitations in Jack's knowledge---it's
>> just a quirk of the rules that prevents Jack from telling
>> the answer. It's a little like the following one-question
> [...]

H decides that the execution trace of P specifies infinitely nested
simulation. The outer-most H is the master simulator and has access to
every detail of all of the inner execution traces. These inner traces
are data that the outer-simulator is generating.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Why don't I simply submit my paper to an academic journal for review?

By: olcott on Sun, 27 Jun 2021

40olcott