Subject: Re: How do we know that H(P,P)==0 is correct? (V4) [ pathological self-reference(Olcott 2004) ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,comp.lang.c
References: <s7ednaA-LdLVrn79nZ2dnUU7-XvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <7NsFI.1031$W56.496@fx08.iad> <2MydnZG_WOGNwHv9nZ2dnUU7-aPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <GFtFI.1101$tL2.292@fx43.iad> <YJWdnQE74v818Xv9nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com> <yTAFI.13018$Vv6.1050@fx45.iad> <QtKdnVFo6ujma3v9nZ2dnUU7-a2dnZ2d@giganews.com> <b6d70511-28db-4e7a-9a53-95967e566ee0n@googlegroups.com> <Iu2dnYdqd4-FYnv9nZ2dnUU7-IvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <4a4a9879-0636-428b-bdcd-792c8a724ec9n@googlegroups.com> <fI2dnQ2d-MDPlHr9nZ2dnUU7-aHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl7c4wnv.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <XKudnV8wlNA1u3r9nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87v95k2zaw.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <YuKdnV6NAJXPPHr9nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87k0m02r5r.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <aPmdnQOOhJ88L3r9nZ2dnUU7-L-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tul3207x.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <doWdnZPz-M_By3X9nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87o8bb173g.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <pq2dnZox5YgiUHX9nZ2dnUU7-YHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <877dhz138a.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 18:31:52 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 23:31 UTC

On 7/9/2021 6:23 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> [...]
>> associated Boolean value specifically because most of the details are
>> always unspecified.
>
> Flat-out wrong. P(P) halts. The correct associated Boolean value is
> true. If you write some other H', the resulting hat(H')(hat(H'))
> computation might not halt so the correct associated Boolean value would
> be false. There is always a correct associated Boolean value describing
> the halting of every computation, despite the fact that there is no
> function that gets the corresponding 'hat' case right.
>
>> When we ask the specific question: What correct value of {true, false}
>> can H correctly return to P that indicates the actual halt status of
>> P?
>>
>> (The answer is restricted to Boolean, the answer of "neither" is not allowed).
>>
>> This 100% specific question <is> as I have always said exactly the
>> same type mismatch error as asking the question: What time is it (yes
>> or no)?
>
> But your 100% specific question is not an instance of the halting
> problem. It's a related question about what is possible in code, and we
> know the answer -- no code can decide halting. It's odd that your
> defence includes such a robust argument that the halting theorem is
> correct.
>
> That every bit of code, no matter how simple or how subtle, is wrong
> about some inputs is just a statement of the halting theorem. That all
> inputs have a correct yes/no answer is just a statement of fact.
>
>>> How is that twisting your words? Surely you don't
>>> deny that, since P(P) halts, there is a correct answer as to whether
>>> P(P) halts or not?
>>> The halting problem is about deciding if a computation -- some code and
>>> some input -- halts or not. For a halt decider, H, to be correct
>>> H(P,I) != 0 if and only if P(I) halts and
>>> H(P,I) != 1 if and only if P(I) does not halt.
>>> In particular, the facts that H(P,P) == 0 and P(P) halts (facts you
>>> don't deny) show that H is not a halt decider. I know you never claimed
>>> it was (except by accident), but you do claim it is right about P(P).
>>> It is not.
>>> I think you consider my refusal to anthropomorphise code as "twisting
>>> your words". If you rephrased it in terms of the programmer, I'd just
>>> agree. Given bool H(code P, data I) {...}, what code can a programmer
>>> write in the brackets so that H(P,P) is correct? Answer: none. There
>>> is no code that can "get round" the construction of P from H.

>>> Nonsense. Despite apparently being clear that your "and a few more"
>>> was wrong, you are sticking by it. H(P,I) == 0 is "correct" when
>>> P(I) does not halt, and for a few more cases (like P(P) which halts).
>>
>> int main() { P(P); } does not count as halting even though its stops
>> running in the same way that Infinite_loop() does not count as halting
>> when the simulator aborts its simulation.
>
> P(P) halts. If you don't "count" all halting computations as halting

A computation that stops running because it has been aborted is as
Richard put it suspended, and not halted.

> Remember, you have relinquished your right to make up a definition of
> what halting is. You've been clear that you intend "halting" to refer
> to the conventional meaning of the term as used in the halting problem.
> If you are unsure about what counts, you need to ask experts what counts
> as halting. And when people like me tell you what counts, you have to
> suck it up. Halting is not a mysterious concept.

When-so-ever the pure simulation of an input on its input never halts
then this input never halts.

When-so-ever any input to H never halts while H remains a pure simulator
then we know this input never halts.

int main() { P(P); } never halts while H remains a pure simulator.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How do we know that H(P,P)==0 is correct?

By: olcott on Mon, 5 Jul 2021

66olcott