grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.

devel / comp.lang.c / Re: How do we know that H(P,P)==0 is correct? (V4) [ strachey example ]

Re: How do we know that H(P,P)==0 is correct? (V4) [ strachey example ]

<j_GdncmJqZZqJ3T9nZ2dnUU7-R-dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=17412&group=comp.lang.c#17412

Subject: Re: How do we know that H(P,P)==0 is correct? (V4) [ strachey example
]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng,comp.lang.c
<fI2dnQ2d-MDPlHr9nZ2dnUU7-aHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl7c4wnv.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<XKudnV8wlNA1u3r9nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87v95k2zaw.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<YuKdnV6NAJXPPHr9nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87k0m02r5r.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<aPmdnQOOhJ88L3r9nZ2dnUU7-L-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tul3207x.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<doWdnZPz-M_By3X9nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20210709180643.00004d28@reddwarf.jmc>
<4K2dnR6DL908FnX9nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20210709201639.00001fe7@reddwarf.jmc>
<PcudnVi3q7bvP3X9nZ2dnUU7-IOdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20210709220803.000050f1@reddwarf.jmc>
<nIGdnZEeKNGQIXX9nZ2dnUU7-f2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20210710124050.00006bad@reddwarf.jmc>
<FfSdnXqwdMIPO3T9nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20210710153034.0000569f@reddwarf.jmc>
<z5WdnVkIYuC5K3T9nZ2dnUU7-QvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20210710161537.00002347@reddwarf.jmc>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 10:21:26 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:21 UTC

On 7/10/2021 10:15 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 10:00:51 -0500
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/10/2021 9:30 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> All Strachey's letter shows is that a decider cannot be part of
>>> that which is being decided.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> // Simplified Linz Ĥ (Linz:1990:319)
>> void P(u32 x)
>> {
>> u32 Input_Halts = H(x, x);
>> if (Input_Halts)
>> HERE: goto HERE;
>> }
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>> u32 Input_Halts = H((u32)P, (u32)P);
>> Output("Input_Halts = ", Input_Halts);
>> }
>>
>> What it shows is that the halting problem proof can be enormously
>> simplified to the impossibility of the H(P,P) in main() returning a
>> correct halt status value to main().
>>
>> *Here are Strachey's (verbatim) own words*
>> Suppose T[R] is a Boolean function taking a routine
>> (or program) R with no formal or free variables as its
>> argument and that for all R, T[R] — True if R terminates
>> if run and that T[R] = False if R does not terminate.
>> Consider the routine P defined as follows
>>
>> rec routine P
>> §L:if T[P] go to L
>> Return §
>>
>> If T[P] = True the routine P will loop, and it will
>> only terminate if T[P] = False. In each case T[P] has
>> exactly the wrong value, and this contradiction shows
>> that the function T cannot exist.
>>
>> Strachey is the creator of CPL ancestor to BCPL then B then C
>> His code above is written in his CPL programming language.
>
> I repeat: all Strachey's letter shows is that a decider cannot be part
> of that which is being decided.
>
> /Flibble

Although this <is> one way of putting it, all of the halting problem
proofs require that the decider is a part of what is being decided. When
we disallow that all of these proofs lose their entire basis and fail to
prove anything.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How do we know that H(P,P)==0 is correct?

By: olcott on Mon, 5 Jul 2021

66olcott