"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner

computers / rocksolid.nodes / rslight as nntp server

SubjectAuthor
* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
`* rslight with leafnodeanon
 `* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  +* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |`* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  | `* rslight with leafnodeanon
  |  `* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |   +- rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |   `* rslight with leafnodeMei
  |    `* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  |     `* rslight with leafnodeMei
  |      `- rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  +- rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
  `* rslight with leafnodeRetro Guy
   `* rslight as nntp serverAnonUser
    `* rslight as nntp serveranon
     `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
      `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
       `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
        `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
         `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
          `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
           `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
            `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
             +* rslight as nntp serveranon
             |`- rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
             `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
              `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
               `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
                `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
                 `* rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy
                  `- rslight as nntp serverRetro Guy

Pages:12
rslight with leafnode

<36a257b8c6027d0e62e69b0064cb4b73$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=179&group=rocksolid.nodes#179

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: rslight with leafnode
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 22:24:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 6 Feb 2020 22:24 UTC

I'm currently running a test site with rslight using leafnode as a news server. The leafnode install is default, just configure the server to connect to, and this is working fine.

If running rslight and using a remote server via i2p or tor, this makes it very fast, since the connections to the remote server are done behind the scenes and the loading of articles is not delayed. So far so good!

Also, I'm currently working on the css for a site with no frames. This is just a toggle in the config, ($frames_on="true/false";) For anyone who prefers a non-framed site, and there are many reasons to, it's coming along nicely.

This will be in the next version release.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<ba78edd60c237ee2eea79f8fd5743dc4@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=180&group=rocksolid.nodes#180

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Re: rslight with leafnode
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 23:38:44+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:38 UTC

this is exciting news. leafnode will make everything lighter compared to inn2.
how many groups does leafnode handle atm on your end ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: rslight with leafnode

<2ae1d884e14179681437dbba44c21472$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=181&group=rocksolid.nodes#181

From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-d3l-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 23:21:49 +0000
To: anon
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 8 Feb 2020 23:21 UTC

To: anon
anon wrote:

> this is exciting news. leafnode will make everything lighter compared to inn2.
> how many groups does leafnode handle atm on your end ?

Right now I'm just using rocksolid.*, but leafnode will just pull groups you use, so whatever you set up in rslight (groups.txt) will be used. There is no need to set up or connect all groups available on the server, so I don't think number of groups is an issue. rslight really only likes about 30-40 groups in one instance or it becomes a bit slow anyway.

I just added a new group to my test site in rslight, and it pulled the articles and they're available just fine.

While leafnode is working great, I'm still considering just building it all into rslight. Since I've merged spoolnews into the code, it's actually ready to have all articles available immediately now, I just need to add local posting (then it posts to the server behind the scenes).

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<248e3e7fabb898bccb24f025abe59303$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=182&group=rocksolid.nodes#182

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 03:50:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 9 Feb 2020 03:50 UTC
Attachments: rslight.jpg (image/jpeg)

Image attached is rslight without frames.

Attachments: rslight.jpg
Re: rslight with leafnode

<eef41e2b23f5c2eb8f4d8451c9f62b1e$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=183&group=rocksolid.nodes#183

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:00:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:00 UTC

I've applied the latest rslight changes to rslight.i2p (and the tor and clearnet addresses), but not to retrobbs.i2p yet.

I'm still making changes, but this will allow me more testing than I can do with just a local install. So far it's ok. I will probably at some point just drop the framed version as it's not necessary, and frames are not a great way to build a site anyway.

Without the frames, almost all javascript is not used. The only place js remains is to apply quoting to the reply box when replying to a message. The other two places where js was used are no longer necessary without frames. At some point I'll remove the last remaining js, but not now.

There are quite a few major code changes behind the scenes, not related to the css and non-framing of the site. 'overview' is completely merged into spoolnews, and spoolnews is about 60% fully tied into rslight now. It's become part of the code. For overboard and search to work, it's required, and it also speeds the site up tremendously. Next changes are to reduce some disk usage, but I want to monitor bugs for a few days first.

Testing with Leafnode runs very well, except it doesn't seem to carry over group descriptions. It might just be a default config setting in leafnode, or something difficult. I'll look into that in a week or two.

For now I'll let it run on rslight.i2p, and continue working on the local version as I have time. I'll release a next version after a period of solid testing.

Yes, I know comp.lang.python disappeared and no, I don't know why. I didn't remove it. I'll take a look over the next few days. Generally, if there is a problem with a group in the groups.txt list, it is not displayed, which is what's happening so I'll take a look. Current changes have not caused this, as retrobbs.i2p also is not displaying the group.

Time for some rl now...

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<98365db8b49677efc94eb21042f25486@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=184&group=rocksolid.nodes#184

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:36:23+0000
 by: anon - Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:36 UTC

Great job on the layout, really. Soon as I will have some time again, this will go on def2 (don't know when that will be though...). But really great.

Two questions:

1) what is really so bad about frames ? I just don't get it.
2) how do you mean rslight can only handle up to 40 groups or so ? Don't you have a lot more on your nodes ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: rslight with leafnode

<63c4dc04f3d68a745b8246e22d02db4c$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=185&group=rocksolid.nodes#185

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:24:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:24 UTC

anon wrote:

> Great job on the layout, really. Soon as I will have some time again, this will go on def2 (don't know when that will be though...). But really great.

Thanks! It took some time to create the 'newsgroups' page from just the simple list on the framed site. It needed more data than just a place to click. I'm still working on it, but it's looking pretty good :)

> Two questions:

> 1) what is really so bad about frames ? I just don't get it.

It's really useability. Framed sites can react in ways that some (or a lot) of users don't expect, like:

bookmarking, and copy-and-pasting URLs to share don't work properly.

printing the page as displayed on the screen can be strange.

reloading the page: since the URL has generally not changed, you will often be taken back to the site's homepage or default frameset; manually reloading some frames is possible, but not obvious to the user

back and forward buttons are ambiguous: undo/redo the last frame change, or take you to the last time the URL bar changed?

Some of those I resolved by using javascript, but I'd prefer not to. Also, it's irritating in rslight if you come in by a link to a group like comp.lang.python, but the groups on the left are rocksolid groups. It can be confusing.

In addition to all that, there are some who seem to things framed sites are dangerous. There are things that can be done in frames, like linking to other sites, but if a site wants to cause you trouble, they don't need to do it with frames. But some users have a fear of such sites.

> 2) how do you mean rslight can only handle up to 40 groups or so ? Don't you have a lot more on your nodes ?

That was true until recently. It had to do with refreshing the group list where it would time out if there were too many groups, and also take a looooooong time. Now I refresh in the background so the user never sees a delay.

Realize also that each link on the top of rslight is another instance of rslight. 'rocksolid' 'arts' 'interests' etc are all separate instances. That was necessary for listing groups reasonably on the framed version (and the timeout issues), but in the current version without frames, it should no longer be necessary. I plan to set up my test site with a bunch of groups and see what happens :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<3955711c8a8574530235fdbf48cfacfb$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=186&group=rocksolid.nodes#186

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:43:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:43 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> anon wrote:

>> 2) how do you mean rslight can only handle up to 40 groups or so ? Don't you have a lot more on your nodes ?

> That was true until recently. It had to do with refreshing the group list where it would time out if there were too many groups, and also take a looooooong time. Now I refresh in the background so the user never sees a delay.

Currently running an instance on my test site with 257 groups. So far it's working just fine.

The .b32 address I posted recently for the test site has 'all', which is a bunch of groups in one instance, and 'leafnode', which is an instance that is connected to leafnode, which is conneted to an inn server via i2p.

Both seem to be working just fine so far.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<09281bee97939c5dad599749e9132115$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=187&group=rocksolid.nodes#187

From: Mei...@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 17:07:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Thu, 13 Feb 2020 17:07 UTC

I hated the frames for a while but then when I got used to them the cruel dictator Retro Guy took them away! Now it's an extra page load or branching out tabs into groups and posts :( Navigation also feels somewhat less clear now, more constrained to a narrower view that connects only to the top level. Something like that.

I guess it couldn't just keep getting purely better forever. Eventually it would have overflowed and become pure garbage, then be sold to a government because they love shitty software. Worse, I would run out of things to complain about!

Speaking of complaining, some groups are showing up twice.
comp.emulators.apple2
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot

Those are the only ones I notice. I bet the duplicates were living under those frames and Retro Guy threw away their homes!
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: rslight with leafnode

<47bfab8e14f21f626d73ec69246c5967$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=188&group=rocksolid.nodes#188

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 23:30:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 13 Feb 2020 23:30 UTC

Mei wrote:

> I hated the frames for a while but then when I got used to them the cruel dictator Retro Guy took them away! Now it's an extra page load or branching out tabs into groups and posts :(

Are links opening in new tabs? They shouldn't be doing that, they don't for me.

> Navigation also feels somewhat less clear now, more constrained to a narrower view that connects only to the top level. Something like that.

Near the top left below the header there should be a way to go back one level, like:
rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes / rslight with leafnode
with links to go back to the group, or main page.

> I guess it couldn't just keep getting purely better forever. Eventually it would have overflowed and become pure garbage, then be sold to a government because they love shitty software. Worse, I would run out of things to complain about!

Overflowed is what it was becoming :) and I really hated the groups list on the left. What I disliked the most was you can't easily refresh with frames, and your browser's history just shows 'Rocksolid Light' for every page you've visited, which makes it kind of hard to go back and find something. Making incoming links work was a nightmare, and required javascript.

I really hope to clean up the non-framed site and make it work as nicely as the framed site, without all the problems associated with the frames.

> Speaking of complaining, some groups are showing up twice.
> comp.emulators.apple2
> comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot

Fixed. Someone (Retro Guy), had those groups listed twice in the groups list. The duplicates should disappear once the list refreshes (automatically every few hours).

> Those are the only ones I notice. I bet the duplicates were living under those frames and Retro Guy threw away their homes!

Ok I admit it, they begged for their frames back, but I was cruel!

Thanks for the input, I need feedback good or bad so I can hopefully make it work in a useful way!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<42baf4860bd7ac450e4ac6e093fd21a2$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=189&group=rocksolid.nodes#189

From: Mei...@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 11:57:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Sat, 15 Feb 2020 11:57 UTC

> Are links opening in new tabs? They shouldn't be doing that, they don't for me.
No, that's just how I've been navigating: open a tab to one of the board lists then check out each interesting board (thanks for the color coding!) in that tab. Then just move on to the next category. This way it's like, open that tab, then a tab for a board, then maybe another tab per thread or use that tab to look at the active one. The board tab is added in when I can't keep the board list open otherwise (I would have to reload it and that's not always an enjoyable experience over i2p which I use because I am silly).

>> Navigation also feels somewhat less clear now, more constrained to a narrower view that connects only to the top level. Something like that.
> Near the top left below the header there should be a way to go back one level, like:
> rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes / rslight with leafnode
> with links to go back to the group, or main page.
Mumble mumble still like the feel of having the list there. Maybe I'm just too old to accept change :P

>> I guess it couldn't just keep getting purely better forever. Eventually it would have overflowed and become pure garbage, then be sold to a government because they love shitty software. Worse, I would run out of things to complain about!
> Overflowed is what it was becoming :) and I really hated the groups list on the left. What I disliked the most was you can't easily refresh with frames, and your browser's history just shows 'Rocksolid Light' for every page you've visited, which makes it kind of hard to go back and find something. Making incoming links work was a nightmare, and required javascript.
Right click, h, r! was my friend. True, it's slightly more effort and the frames were eating all of the snacks...

> I really hope to clean up the non-framed site and make it work as nicely as the framed site, without all the problems associated with the frames.
We will take that as a promise and riot if it's not done to perfection and released by the date we imagine! No pressure ;)

>> Speaking of complaining, some groups are showing up twice.
>> comp.emulators.apple2
>> comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot
> Fixed. Someone (Retro Guy), had those groups listed twice in the groups list. The duplicates should disappear once the list refreshes (automatically every few hours).
That goof! You've got to keep a careful eye on him or he does weird things like that.

>> Those are the only ones I notice. I bet the duplicates were living under those frames and Retro Guy threw away their homes!
> Ok I admit it, they begged for their frames back, but I was cruel!
You monster!

> Thanks for the input, I need feedback good or bad so I can hopefully make it work in a useful way!
> Retro Guy
I feel bad giving much feedback because there seem to be lots of people who don't. I guess they don't even have to sign up to speak for themselves, though, so if this place ends up catering to my whims then they have only themselves to blame!
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: rslight with leafnode

<1703f6127234c93aceb212085ff8ec61$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=190&group=rocksolid.nodes#190

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:31:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:31 UTC

Mei wrote:

>> Thanks for the input, I need feedback good or bad so I can hopefully make it work in a useful way!
>> Retro Guy
> I feel bad giving much feedback because there seem to be lots of people who don't. I guess they don't even have to sign up to speak for themselves, though, so if this place ends up catering to my whims then they have only themselves to blame!

I appreciate all your feedback. Without it, I'm just making a site that I think works properly but can't be sure how others feel. You've found bugs that I've fixed that I didn't even know existed, thanks!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<b1c4a0f5119b062db7b5fd4833e60eb7$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=191&group=rocksolid.nodes#191

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:34:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:34 UTC

My testing with leafnode is working perfectly.

I think it's safe to say that rslight can run fast and well with a leafnode backend, and also this allows you to change news servers without having an issue with article number changes.

So basically, it's a very simple way to run a lightweight node and not be dependent on one particular news server (you can change to another or use multiple if you wish).

One more way to keep a node alive even if their upstream server goes away.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight with leafnode

<2fb9ffeeea1ab8703cdb22ded1407301$1@192.168.0.220>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=192&group=rocksolid.nodes#192

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:48:59 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:48 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> While leafnode is working great, I'm still considering just building it all into rslight. Since I've merged spoolnews into the code, it's actually ready to have all articles available immediately now, I just need to add local posting (then it posts to the server behind the scenes).

I was missing some messages when using leafnode and found it necessary to change:

## Here we have another news server which has a very slow connection. For
## that reason, we wait a full minute before we give up trying to connect.
## The default is 10 seconds.
# server = really.slow.example.org
timeout = 60

This is because I'm connecting via i2p and apparently it was timing out. Once I increased the timeout, so far it's working great.

Retro Guy

rslight as nntp server

<9e7838d1fe2d08c2a410c2cb7ded6881$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=193&group=rocksolid.nodes#193

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: rslight as nntp server
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:55:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:55 UTC

The built in nntp server for rslight is coming along nicely. Still plenty more work to do, but it's getting there.

At some point, I hope that rslight sites can talk to eachother as client/server, without the need for leafnode or inn or whatever in between.

Below is a connection example. The 'server' is simply an rslight install:

--------------------------------
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

200 Rocksolid Light NNTP Server ready (no posting)
list
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low status"
rocksolid.nodes 195 159 n
rocksolid.nodes.help 52 30 n
rocksolid.nodes.announce 56 47 n
rocksolid.shared.encryption 36 36 n
rocksolid.shared.entertainment 88 76 n
rocksolid.shared.freenet 10 10 n
rocksolid.shared.general 139 112 n
rocksolid.shared.hacking 140 115 n
rocksolid.shared.helpdesk 71 57 n
rocksolid.shared.i2p 187 162 n
rocksolid.shared.linux 61 56 n
rocksolid.shared.news 127 101 n
rocksolid.shared.offtopic 151 129 n
rocksolid.programming 40 37 n
rocksolid.shared.rocksolid 251 171 n
rocksolid.shared.security 107 91 n
rocksolid.social 3 3 n
rocksolid.shared.test 844 784 n
rocksolid.shared.tor 103 93 n
..
group rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
211 81 171 251 rocksolid.shared.rocksolid group selected
article 250
220 250 <a45b5638e1160ae6ea8727719e109c90@def4> article retrieved - head and body follow
From: anon <anon@anon.com>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: Re: ffvm torrent released
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:45:29+0000

well, yes, that is correct.the software shared in this torrent is outdated and should not be used anymore.
any new node admin is advised to use rslight (*) or fudforum (in case you like adventures and enjoy hacking around in php code).
a vm with a preinstalled debian and inn2 could be shared as well on request. let us know.

cheers

trw

*
http://dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion/getrslight
http://rslight.i2p/getrslight
http://news.novabbs.com/getrslight

Posted on def4
..
quit
205 closing connection - goodbye!
Connection closed by foreign host.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<70cc8598b663dc64e0f2c251b38c2e5c@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=194&group=rocksolid.nodes#194

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Re: rslight as nntp server
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:22:00+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:22 UTC

you do your own newsserver in php ? that is way cool....

can't wait to see this work.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: rslight as nntp server

<7401603734c5d8f955da2461c678cf76$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=195&group=rocksolid.nodes#195

From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-xll-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 22:00:41 +0000
To: anon
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 28 Feb 2020 22:00 UTC

To: anon
anon wrote:

> you do your own newsserver in php ? that is way cool....

So far it's working reasonably well. I have XOVER working now, and rslight is able to use it as it's nntp server for everything except posting at this time.

I'm using a test site that is connected via i2p. The rslight nntp client, spoolnews, connects to the server via i2p in the background, and the rslight nntp server is what rslight connects to to get articles, etc.

> can't wait to see this work.

It's fun to work on. I hope I can get it working reliably well over the next few weeks.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<b2b3e7eb8142c516e9886ef0c64ef8cd$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=196&group=rocksolid.nodes#196

From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-g1d-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:08:43 +0000
To: Retro Guy
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:08 UTC

To: Retro Guy
Retro Guy wrote:

> anon wrote:

>> can't wait to see this work.

> It's fun to work on. I hope I can get it working reliably well over the next few weeks.

Just testing now with a regular news client and it's working fine. Pan and Knode as readers are having no problem with it. It spawns properly so multiple connections work fine.

I'm already running rslight as a client and having no trouble. Next comes posting.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<4f0e8abc6b5bfbf74e727c99aa3c25f3$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=197&group=rocksolid.nodes#197

From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-plk-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:21:30 +0000
To: Retro Guy
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 28 Feb 2020 23:21 UTC
Attachments: rslight1.png (image/png)

Here's Rocksolid Light NNTP server as being used in Knode (attached)

Knode does a weird xover but I have it working fine.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Attachments: rslight1.png
Re: rslight as nntp server

<136ac44d1cc0c2b272af1896c93d7898$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=198&group=rocksolid.nodes#198

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 05:37:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 05:37 UTC

The test server at:
http://nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

is now running rslight using the internal nntp server. So far it's working reasonably well. I need to run it on this site for a while to find bugs and work them out. One nice thing is I can also connect to it with any newsreader locally, which is cool.

In the background it collects articles via i2p from a remote server, but all rslight connections are to the local server, which makes it quite fast. It's like a very light leafnode install but faster, and gets it's config from the rslight install.

When done, this can just as easily connect to another rslight site instead of a real nntp server, which would allow chaining of rslight sites.

I ran a site side by side with this, the other connecting to a remote site via clearnet, and this method (built in nntp). This is much faster in response times, as would be expected.

Now I need to just use it and watch it break so I can find each bug that comes up. Once it seems reliable, I'll add the ability to post.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<d3b14c411e14ad6be5129cb750c4cdc5$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=199&group=rocksolid.nodes#199

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 09:35:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 29 Feb 2020 09:35 UTC

Cool, found a but already! It's an issue with xover. I was lazy and was using the data from the upstream server and storing it. Seems that if there is a delay or timeout connecting via i2p, the cache gets messed up. I guess I'll have to create it myself, which I was trying to avoid. Since I already create an overview with spoolnews anyway, it won't be a real issue. Bugs like to show up as soon as you walk away, lol.

I'll work on that in a few days, the weekends are my busiest work hours of the week, so not much will be worked on for a few days.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<5e44d0e5b22fc1790c6f3a42953a6eb9$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=200&group=rocksolid.nodes#200

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 08:49:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 1 Mar 2020 08:49 UTC

Currently supported commands in rslight nntp server:

AUTHINFO
MODE
GROUP
XOVER
HEAD
ARTICLE
HELP
QUIT

Mode is just there because clients may send it by default, but this nntp server only serves a reader anyway. You can send 'MODE flux capacitor' and it's still just in 'MODE reader'.

I've changed the way xover handles things, hopefully more stable now via i2p. If not, I should be able to get it working smoothly.

Once I'm comfortable this is all working reasonably well, I'll handle POST. It will work by spooling the article, and sending it to a remote server on next sync. If rslight sites are chained, I'll work out a path to outside so that articles actually get sent, just as a BBS does.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<a0b57d096412eb9118d7810c005eabbd$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=201&group=rocksolid.nodes#201

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 10:46:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 2 Mar 2020 10:46 UTC

Yay, descriptions work now that XGTITLE is implemented.

Also have NEWGROUPS working and fixed a bug with LIST NEWSGROUPS.

Currently testing with rslight, knode and pan as clients. It's really only meant to serve rslight, but if I can standardize enough, that's all the better.

Right now you can read all the groups served by your local rslight install with a newsreader, which is a nice plus. If you bind to an external address, you can allow remote connections by newsreader (or rslight) also.

Still lots of work and testing to do, but working nicely so far.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<4e373d57115f3982865e2ba530cfe35b$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=202&group=rocksolid.nodes#202

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 08:58:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 3 Mar 2020 08:58 UTC

Working on this has helped me find quite a few bugs not necessarily related to the nntp server. This was a nice chance to find problems I wasn't aware of and address them.

This also has given me the chance to tie spoolnews in much better, and now I've removed duplication of files in rslight, which of course reduces disk space usage, and speeds it up.

Just tested the server with Thunderbird as a client and it works just fine. Other than if I try to post (I don't), I'm not currently receiving errors from knode, pan and it looks like thunderbird now also. I do watch the knode and pan logs and all seems fine.

The server also now handles keeping descriptions up to date (according to it's remote server) and rslight displays what is provided by the server, so no need to add the descriptions in groups.txt unless you want to.

It's moving along more quickly than I anticipated, but I'm still going to keep running and testing it for a while before finishing the POST function.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight as nntp server

<dadd744d2092678fa4adc4401c12e3c1@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=203&group=rocksolid.nodes#203

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 20:22:22+0000
 by: anon - Tue, 3 Mar 2020 20:22 UTC

kudos to your skills, patience and effort. Once this has reached a level where installing a node is reduced to extracting an archive and fiddling with a few config files, this could boost the number of nodes.
really nice outlook.
on my end, i just have no time at all at the moment to do anything more than posting, there is too much meatspace stuff going on. did not even fix yet the broken layout on def3, let alone to get def2 running again....

cheers

trw

Posted on def4