From: gue...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: def3 was down, and is back
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 07:15:28 -0400
 by: Guest - Sun, 4 Oct 2020 11:15 UTC

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,"

ok, it is not so bad, it is back. but ff can be a real bitch. would drop it one of these days....na, just kidding, i like the look'n'feel too much. but it sure is annoying.
the alternative would be to fork the code and get rid of all this annoying bullshit it does....

well anyway, we are back,

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def3

Re: def3 was down, and is back

<94df097f928b418db911d548929e515c$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=298&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#298

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: def3 was down, and is back
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 05:58:00 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 5 Oct 2020 05:58 UTC

Guest wrote:

> ok, it is not so bad, it is back. but ff can be a real bitch. would drop it one of these days....na, just kidding, i like the look'n'feel too much. but it sure is annoying.
> the alternative would be to fork the code and get rid of all this annoying bullshit it does....

ff is easy to use and def3 looks great with the new css. and yes, ff is annoying lol :)

> well anyway, we are back,

welcome back!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

Re: def3 was down, and is back

<rlpvsn$ovf$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=302&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#302

From: gue...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 11:28:59 -0400
 by: Guest - Fri, 9 Oct 2020 15:28 UTC

got def3 on nginx finally, without any big steps to optimize anything. let's see if this changes the baseline of the performance.

any feedback is appreciated.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def3

Re: def3 was down, and is back

<rlsq1l$vtc$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=303&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#303

From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 13:06:44 -0400
 by: trw - Sat, 10 Oct 2020 17:06 UTC

at least i don't get any 503 so far, and the site responds quickly (for me). and there are more users online than before (judged from the few moments i look at that).

i put a shorter timeout for the script execution in the nginx config, maybe that did the trick already. that would mean that before there must have been many instances running too long and eating away ram. wonder if that would be some kind of attack, or rather some misbehaving bots or somesuch ?

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def3

Re: def3 was down, and is back

<404fccb5ea7e170dbbcfee1b8423a4ae$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=307&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#307

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 09:49:24 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 17 Oct 2020 09:49 UTC

trw wrote:

> at least i don't get any 503 so far, and the site responds quickly (for me). and there are more users online than before (judged from the few moments i look at that).

> i put a shorter timeout for the script execution in the nginx config, maybe that did the trick already. that would mean that before there must have been many instances running too long and eating away ram. wonder if that would be some kind of attack, or rather some misbehaving bots or somesuch ?

So far so good. It's working great from here. Always availble and didn't time out last time I posted :)

Retro Guy
--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

thanks for feedback

<na.1043.2mzmu0@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=309&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#309

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: thanks for feedback
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:12:09 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:12 UTC

>Always availble and didn't time out last time I posted :)

Same experience here, and constant over the past few days. So either nginx is just superior to lighttpd (in general, or for the php part), or it was really just that timeout for the script execution.
I'm guessing the latter. And I still wonder what might have caused that behaviour, because in the logs of lighttpd I could only see normal requests. I did not check on network level though, some attacks or misconfigured requests do not show up in the web servers logs.
But with this positive experience I think I will do a fork of fudforum after all, just incorporating all of the technical and optical changes that have been made, and cutting out the stuff that is not necessary or harmful. later maybe some code updates....this should be the schedule for the first two years or so....:-)
It is a shame that the original community of fudforum is so closed up and hardly accessible for me (I mean to participate in). But then I guess this attitude is also reflected in the code in many places and is in fact one the aspects the fork will not include (I mean all this childish stuff from the days before darknets existed...).

Mind you, these plans are in the far future. But at least I realized now that the codebase of ff is worth preserving.
Another far away plan is to make a fork of vichan that supports rocksolid natively (with cleaned up and optimized code).

Wish I had the time :-)

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: thanks for feedback

<7d75c93666676c8c57f2026a1eec77a1$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=310&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#310

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: thanks for feedback
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 10:09:52 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 18 Oct 2020 10:09 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> But with this positive experience I think I will do a fork of fudforum after all, just incorporating all of the technical and optical changes that have been made, and cutting out the stuff that is not necessary or harmful. later maybe some code updates....this should be the schedule for the first two years or so....:-)

That sounds great, I think an updated ff focused more on nntp than it currently is would be a nice thing to see!

> It is a shame that the original community of fudforum is so closed up and hardly accessible for me (I mean to participate in). But then I guess this attitude is also reflected in the code in many places and is in fact one the aspects the fork will not include (I mean all this childish stuff from the days before darknets existed...).

ff seems almost no longer developed. At least when I'd look at the plugins forums they were years old and discussion was not very productive. I just kind of gave up with ff myself, but I think it's a great starting place for a fork. You've already made mods, so you're on your way already.

> Mind you, these plans are in the far future. But at least I realized now that the codebase of ff is worth preserving.

Sounds good. I'll be looking for a new forked version full of features and with no bugs on Monday :)

> Another far away plan is to make a fork of vichan that supports rocksolid natively (with cleaned up and optimized code).

Vichan is a nice interface to nntp. I'm sure many users would prefer it to either ff or rslight.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com