Avoid strange women and temporary variables.

computers / rocksolid.nodes.help / Re: fudforum quick hacks thread

SubjectAuthor
* fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
+* fudforum quick hacks threadRetro Guy
|`- fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
+* fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
|`* fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
| `* fudforum quick hacks threadRetro Guy
|  `* fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
|   `* fudforum quick hacks threadRetro Guy
|    `* fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
|     `* fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
|      +* fudforum quick hacks threadtrw
|      |`- fudforum quick hacks threadRetro Guy
|      `- fudforum quick hacks threadRetro Guy
+* udforum quick hacks threadAnonymous
|`- udforum quick hacks threadRetro Guy
`- found itAnonymous

1
Re: fudforum quick hacks thread

<rgmjra$i7v$1@def5.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=131&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#131

From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: fudforum quick hacks thread
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 12:27:39 -0400
 by: trw - Sat, 8 Aug 2020 16:27 UTC

and btw, I hope this has fixed all this annoying 503s, they should have been because of low disk space.

--
Posted on def3

Re: fudforum quick hacks thread

<a6fdb6f601b1c4b90380649e8403b82b$1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=132&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#132

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:46:41 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:46 UTC

trw wrote:

> And another one: move the webroot of Fudforum to a different location.

> This is mostly a note to myself, as I think I am the only one still using this :).

Always a good idea to keep a log somewhere. Why not here :) (I do that also).

> So, to move the webroot of Fudforum:

> # cp -rv /your/forum/dir /your/new/forum/dir
> # cp -rv /your/data/dir /your/new/data/dir
> # chown -R www-data.www-data /your/new/forum/dir
> # chown -R www-data.www-data /your/new/data/dir
> # mv /your/forum/dir /your/forum/dir_backup
> # mv /your/data/dir /your/data/dir_backup
> # ln -s /your/new/forum/dir /your/forum/dir
> # ln -s /your/new/data/dir /your/data/dir
> # nano /your/new/data/dir/include/GLOBALS.php
> (here you have to adapt the paths so that they point to the new absolute paths, php seems not to follow symlinks)

Interesting. Symlinks for files, or directories? rslight has symlinked files without trouble, but haven't done so with directories.

> (make some testing)

Good idea!

> # rm -rf /your/forum/dir_backup
> # rm -rf /your/data/dir_backup

Always scary :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

Re: fudforum quick hacks thread

<9e0aa929f0b1e2aad4148d1f9b1cfa05$1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=133&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#133

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:57:19 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:57 UTC

trw wrote:

> and btw, I hope this has fixed all this annoying 503s, they should have been because of low disk space.

Damn non-infinite disks! I hate those :)

def3 really looks good. As you know, some of the css of rslight is copying some of the colour scheme of def3 because I like it.

On another ff note, I mentioned a while back the size of my ff database and how large it was. I was surprised then when I deleted ff from that server, the freed disk space was double the database size. The database was around 12G and once ff was completely deleted, it freed 24G of space. Not sure why that is as I really doubt it duplicates the entire database.

The rslight database for the same groups as ff had is currently 4.3G

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

Re: udforum quick hacks thread

<nh.520.49lav4@anon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=134&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#134

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: udforum quick hacks thread
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 14:56:18 -0700
logging-data="7047"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 13 Aug 2020 21:56 UTC

>Interesting. Symlinks for files, or directories? rslight has symlinked files without trouble, but haven't done so with directories.

Wasn't sure that it would work, but lighttpd makes no trouble :-) . I will still change back to nginx soon, i think. The migration of the webroot solved almost all 503 errors, but it still happens from time to time. i think nginx is a little better in performance.

> # rm -rf /your/forum/dir_backup
> # rm -rf /your/data/dir_backup
>Always scary :)

Oh yes. Many hours spent ....nuff said

>def3 really looks good. As you know, some of the css of rslight is copying some of the colour scheme of def3 because I like it.

yeah, it is just a very nice color scheme (which I have not done, as you know. Probs go to the locals css genius, wonder if he's still around, btw).

>On another ff note, I mentioned a while back the size of my ff database and how large it was. I was surprised then when I deleted ff from that server, the freed disk space was double the database size. The database was around 12G and once ff was completely >deleted, it freed 24G of space. Not sure why that is as I really doubt it duplicates the entire database.

Thats funny. Would be really interesting to learn why this was the case. My sql files take some 1,9 GB for the whole ff install, but then I don't store the messages in the db, but as plain files.

>The rslight database for the same groups as ff had is currently 4.3G

ff is a ressource hog for sure. if def3 wasn't the most used of my three nodes (by far), i would have dumped ff by now. but the users (read: lurkers) seem to like it better than bbs or vichan. or maybe the other addresses are just not as well known as def3.

cheers

trw

PS: just as I wanted to post this on def3: guess what: 503 again, lol. ok, nginx it is.

--
Posted on def2

Re: udforum quick hacks thread

<32c2de710310bdaead1e5e1c0b2b6779$1@rslight.i2p>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=135&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#135

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:40:41 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:40 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>Interesting. Symlinks for files, or directories? rslight has symlinked files without trouble, but haven't done so with directories.

> Wasn't sure that it would work, but lighttpd makes no trouble :-) . I will still change back to nginx soon, i think. The migration of the webroot solved almost all 503 errors, but it still happens from time to time. i think nginx is a little better in performance.

A while back I think I posted a few settings for nginx that deals with this issue. Seems nginx gives php a very short time to respond, and sends a 503 if php doesn't finish in time. I'm guessing lighttpd may have similar settings, but I don't know for sure.

> ff is a ressource hog for sure. if def3 wasn't the most used of my three nodes (by far), i would have dumped ff by now. but the users (read: lurkers) seem to like it better than bbs or vichan. or maybe the other addresses are just not as well known as def3.

That was my thinking also before dropping ff in clearnet. Many (most?) users find it familiar, similar to other forum software, and they understand it quickly.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

found it

<nh.522.1h1ocj@anon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=136&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#136

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: found it
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:46:49 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 14 Aug 2020 18:46 UTC

>A while back I think I posted a few settings for nginx that deals with this issue. Seems nginx gives php a very short time to respond, and sends a 503 if php doesn't finish in time. I'm guessing lighttpd may have similar settings, but I don't know for sure.

I found the thread (n def3 :-)), have to play around a little. Thanks for the hint,

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2