computers / rocksolid.nodes.help / Re: rslight rebuild ?

SubjectAuthor
* rslight rebuild ?anonymous
+* rslight rebuild ?anonymous
|`- rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+- rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+* rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
|`* rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
| `* rslight rebuildanon
|  `* rslight rebuildanon
|   `* rslight rebuildanon
|    `* rslight rebuildRetro Guy
|     `- rslight rebuildanonymous
+- rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+- tried that now before i upgradeAnonymous
+* ok, that did the trickAnonymous
|`- ok, that did the trickRetro Guy
+- pulled all the groups again nowAnonymous
+* overboard is backAnonymous
|`* overboard is backRetro Guy
| `- overboard is backRetro Guy
`* overboardAnonymous
 `- overboardRetro Guy

1
Re: rslight rebuild

<653bbdaad94900b2cd9b10a91e04aa01$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=64&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#64

From: anonym...@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: rslight rebuild
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 14:11 UTC
 by: anonymous - Mon, 25 May 2020 14:11 UTC

>Let's see what happens after applying 0.6.5.d as there are some changes that "might" help.

that will take me some time. i will be back.
--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Re: rslight rebuild ?

<e2fb8df5f0dbb0c83e6b56bcae3b7275$1@rslight.i2p>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=65&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#65

From: retro...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 02:03:09 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 09:03 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> is there an option to rebuild all the indeces that rslight uses ? there
> are some articles that are on the news server, but are not displayed on
> def2 (although the time of posting is shown under "latest post").

The design of spoolnews is to never get to the code to write the overview if
an article is not downloaded. Hopefully, articles don't show up in overview
that don't exist (I have not seen it happen yet).

At some point I will write a script to clean and fix indexes, but right now
that does not exist.

You can always remove the :xx from the end of a group name in
/var/spool/rslight/<section>/<server>.txt. This is the record of the last
received article from the upstream server. If you reduce that number, or
remove it entirely, it will start from a lower number. This is harmless as
when/if it tries to pull existing articles, it will just reject them. It
checks <group.name>-overview to see if the article exists (by message-id).

This is much faster in 0.6.5d, but works fine in 0.6.5c, just uses more
bandwidth.

Retro Guy

tried that now before i upgrade

<nh.119.1duw7m@anon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=66&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#66

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: tried that now before i upgrade
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:01:38 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 16:01 UTC

>You can always remove the :xx from the end of a group name

still waiting for the results. the counter was on 195, though, which seems a tad high to me (is that my own count, btw, than it is wrong for sure, if that is the server count i don't know for sure, but still seems high to me. rslight is at 177, for example),

ok, that did the trick

<nh.120.3hkics@anon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=67&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#67

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: ok, that did the trick
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:05:50 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 16:05 UTC

all the missing messages came in as far as i could see.
the counter is at 180 again, so it must be servers watermark, right ?

pulled all the groups again now

<nh.121.37wgte@anon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=68&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#68

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: pulled all the groups again now
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 11:16:43 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 18:16 UTC

some other groups were concerned as well. now the overboard is defunct. connection ?

overboard is back

<nh.122.rrbup@anon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=69&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#69

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: overboard is back
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 12:23:38 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 19:23 UTC

with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

Re: overboard is back

<6e150d0da7bf6584b622af535cee3da9$1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=70&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#70

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: overboard is back
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:34 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 19:34 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

Wow, you're like the best beta test site ever :)

Your overboard page has no footer. That means the script is not completing, it's hanging on something. Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: overboard is back

<f46474492d139f7c0379b18da8f57f58$1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=71&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#71

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:43 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 19:43 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:

>> with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

> Wow, you're like the best beta test site ever :)

> Your overboard page has no footer. That means the script is not completing, it's hanging on something. Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

Also, while testing it, the overboard page is cached for 5 minutes so if you make a change to something you either need to wait 5 minutes to see if it worked, or delete the cache /var/spool/rslight/rocksolid-overboard.cache

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: ok, that did the trick

<8f3ffe12c785c5a52b68bf3290750a45$1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=72&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#72

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: ok, that did the trick
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 22:07 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 22:07 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> all the missing messages came in as far as i could see.
> the counter is at 180 again, so it must be servers watermark, right ?

That's correct. I also just checked and on i2pn2 (where you're connecting), it shows it to be 180 also:
200 i2pn2.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.1 ready (no posting)
group rocksolid.shared.offtopic
211 180 1 180 rocksolid.shared.offtopic

Use the last number (right before group name) to find highest article number.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

overboard

<nh.126.1eh2c0@anon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#73

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: overboard
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 01:03:29 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 27 May 2020 08:03 UTC

>Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

well, not manually, no. i guess during updating articles were added of course.
the overboard works again now, but only includes messages from yesterday and later.
guess you just add new messages when they come, so if it looses its status for some reason, it does not rebuild everything ?

maybe i will just upgrade now to d, seeing if this fixes it. feels kind of pointless to debug an outdated version.

cheers

trw

Re: overboard

<e041011a8e0362ec3e6f88b51c363b60$1@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#74

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: overboard
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:08 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 27 May 2020 09:08 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

> well, not manually, no. i guess during updating articles were added of course.
> the overboard works again now, but only includes messages from yesterday and later.
> guess you just add new messages when they come, so if it looses its status for some reason, it does not rebuild everything ?

Overboard works simply by looking at the file dates of articles, then selecting the recent ones. I'll improve that in the future, but that's all it does right now.

It looks like it's hanging on a message for some reason, since it's not showing the footer (it never gets to that part of the code to show it).

> maybe i will just upgrade now to d, seeing if this fixes it. feels kind of pointless to debug an outdated version.

I would just upgrade, kill the nntp server, delete everything (all of it except the rslight dir), and start cron again.

With just rocksolid groups, even over i2p it won't take very long to completely populate the spool again.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com