Beam me up, Scotty!

devel / rocksolid.programming / Re: rslight modding thread

SubjectAuthor
* rslight modding threadanonymous
+* rslight modding threadRetro Guy
|`* rslight modding threadRetro Guy
| `* rslight modding threadanon
|  `* rslight modding threadRetro Guy
|   `- rslight modding threadanon
+* a bigger text box for postingAnonymous
|`- a bigger text box for postingRetro Guy
+* i agree it is the right way to do it in the cssAnonymous
|`- i agree it is the right way to do it in the cssRetro Guy
+- and this is how it looksAnonymous
`- this is how it looked beforeAnonymous

1
rslight modding thread

<aebd2f4b52b68e34ebda2ff0084132af$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=527&group=rocksolid.programming#527

From: anonym...@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: rslight modding thread
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 18:09 UTC
 by: anonymous - Sun, 17 May 2020 18:09 UTC

this thread is dedicated to all the mods and hacks i have been doing and will do on the innocent source code of rslight, which is the easiest way to run a news server yet.

Mod "automatic redirect after posting":

insert
in line 191 in post.php
--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Re: rslight modding thread

<09681b853c4b9e3ba44fb6d514ba0b0e$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=529&group=rocksolid.programming#529

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: rslight modding thread
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 00:08 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 19 May 2020 00:08 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> this thread is dedicated to all the mods and hacks i have been doing and will do on the innocent source code of rslight, which is the easiest way to run a news server yet.

> Mod "automatic redirect after posting":

> insert
> in line 191 in post.php

I will add this as an option in config for the next release of rslight.

Thanks for the mod!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight modding thread

<97c6bb4111eaabfd8ce7af7f128654ee$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=530&group=rocksolid.programming#530

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 04:38 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 20 May 2020 04:38 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> anonymous wrote:

>> this thread is dedicated to all the mods and hacks i have been doing and will do on the innocent source code of rslight, which is the easiest way to run a news server yet.

>> Mod "automatic redirect after posting":

>> insert
>> in line 191 in post.php

> I will add this as an option in config for the next release of rslight.

> Thanks for the mod!

This mod has now been added for release 0.6.5d. It is configurable from the main config file.

Thanks again!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight modding thread

<711f07be6f6f4c8b62e9d5b05d8d2c49@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=531&group=rocksolid.programming#531

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 23:07:06+0000
 by: anon - Wed, 20 May 2020 23:07 UTC

why, thanks for this nice piece of software. i think you are very close to the stage where this is really plug'n'play (or maybe you are already there, i have to try the d version as well).
and for a newsserver, this really says something: i can well remember the countless hours i have spent trying to understand some weirdass doumentation from decades ago and screening logfiles for the installation and maintenance of inn2. all this will not be necessary anymore for new admins if they use rslight.
so this also increases the chance of ppl opening new nodes.
although in terms of redundancy we should be pretty well setup by now, huh ?
i mean, even if all of our servers would be permanently out for some reason, you could still rebuild everything using just one of the news servers carrying the groups (maybe except /test, i don't know if any server has really _all_ the groups).

Posted on def4

Re: rslight modding thread

<38f07094fc7eef95573a0abc103a87b9$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=532&group=rocksolid.programming#532

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 08:41 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 21 May 2020 08:41 UTC

anon wrote:

> why, thanks for this nice piece of software. i think you are very close to the stage where this is really plug'n'play (or maybe you are already there, i have to try the d version as well).
> and for a newsserver, this really says something: i can well remember the countless hours i have spent trying to understand some weirdass doumentation from decades ago and screening logfiles for the installation and maintenance of inn2. all this will not be necessary anymore for new admins if they use rslight.
> so this also increases the chance of ppl opening new nodes.

Thank you for the kind words. Once thing I want to do eventually is to create a Debian package for it, making it as simple as possible to install. This won't be soon, but it is something I'd like to do eventually.

> although in terms of redundancy we should be pretty well setup by now, huh ?
> i mean, even if all of our servers would be permanently out for some reason, you could still rebuild everything using just one of the news servers carrying the groups (maybe except /test, i don't know if any server has really _all_ the groups).

I think the idea of permanenly losing messages in rocksolid.* is very slim at this point. I do maintain one separate backup (rocksolid0) who's only purpose is to keep an archive of the groups. It does nothing else. Of course the more newsservers that carry the hierarchy, the more redundancy. rslight, being a newsserver, can easily be used to repopulate another site that may have been lost. Much easier than applying a backup or export of forum software, you just connect to rslight and grab all the messages.

Quick question: Do we want a copy of the nntp server as a standalone? Right now it's a bit tied in to rslight, but that can be changed. Would this be of benefit? If so, it would take a bit of work, but it might be useful for other interfaces without the need to tie in so much of rslight.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight modding thread

<d55ce32225032c492564a508fd10d26f@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=533&group=rocksolid.programming#533

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 18:46:59+0000
 by: anon - Thu, 21 May 2020 18:46 UTC

> Once thing I want to do eventually is to create a Debian package for it, making it as simple as possible to install.

That would be super easy for all debians. Is that complex to do ? I never did the exercise myself.

>Quick question: Do we want a copy of the nntp server as a standalone?

Right now I have no need for this, because I plan to keep rslight running on the tor side, and vichan on the same machine just for the i2p side.

Posted on def4

a bigger text box for posting

<code.108.3sieu9@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=543&group=rocksolid.programming#543

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: a bigger text box for posting
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:25:33 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 18:25 UTC

replace line 342 in post.php with

<textarea class="postbody" id="postbody" name="<?php echo md5($fieldencrypt."body")?>" style="width:650px;height:190px;" wrap="soft"><?php
Posted on def2.i2p

Re: a bigger text box for posting

<5b247d9045be520b1811312ade0cd627$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=545&group=rocksolid.programming#545

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: a bigger text box for posting
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 22:53 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 1 Jun 2020 22:53 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> replace line 342 in post.php with

> <textarea class="postbody" id="postbody" name="<?php echo md5($fieldencrypt."body")?>" style="width:650px;height:190px;" wrap="soft"><?php

The box size is set in css (style.css):

textarea.postbody {
background-color: var(--color-medium);
border: none;
color: var(--color-title);
height: calc(1em * 1.5 * 20);
width: calc(1em * 1.5 * 40);
}

And for mobile:

textarea.postbody {
height: calc(1em *1.5 * 10);
width: 100%;
}

Might be best to make the change there as rslight is (tries to be) responsive.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

i agree it is the right way to do it in the css

<code.111.2l5835@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=546&group=rocksolid.programming#546

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: i agree it is the right way to do it in the css
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:57:49 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 2 Jun 2020 07:57 UTC
Attachments: "rs_d_css.jpg"; name="attachment" (image/jpeg)

guess i just have an outdated version, because putting these parameters gives a strange result (see pic). never mind the actual dimensions (i played around with these), but any change is for all elements.

Attachments:
and this is how it looks

<code.113.4c5lnj@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=547&group=rocksolid.programming#547

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: and this is how it looks
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 01:00:02 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 2 Jun 2020 08:00 UTC
Attachments: "rs_d_mod_post.jpg"; name="attachment" (image/jpeg)

after my mod in post.php (which is kind of crude, i will admit).

Attachments:
this is how it looked before

<code.112.3jaylj@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=548&group=rocksolid.programming#548

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: this is how it looked before
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:59:13 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 2 Jun 2020 07:59 UTC
Attachments: "rs_d_org.jpg"; name="attachment" (image/jpeg)

i mean before i changed any code.

Attachments:
Re: i agree it is the right way to do it in the css

<ea475adbd125de2ab25abe1f1f6a1d89$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=549&group=rocksolid.programming#549

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: i agree it is the right way to do it in the css
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 23:00 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 2 Jun 2020 23:00 UTC
Attachments: css-mod.png (image/png)

Anonymous wrote:

> guess i just have an outdated version, because putting these parameters gives a strange result (see pic). never mind the actual dimensions (i played around with these), but any change is for all elements.

I'll add style.css to the rslight download dir, which maybe should have been in the 0.6.5d upgrade.

You may wish to compare with what you have. BTW the last number in the calc lines is meant to be number of characters in the css:

textarea.postbody {
background-color: var(--color-medium);
border: none;
color: var(--color-title);
height: calc(1em * 1.5 * 20);
width: calc(1em * 1.5 * 40);
}

When I changed it to this on a test site, I get the result (attached):

textarea.postbody {
background-color: var(--color-medium);
border: none;
color: var(--color-title);