Backed up the system lately?

devel / rocksolid.programming / Re: it is not the inodes

SubjectAuthor
* New project ideaAnonymous
+- and....solvedAnonymous
+- Ha, this is even easierAnonymous
+* Simple as fuckAnonymous
|`* Simple as fuckRetro Guy
| `* Did you change the settings ?trw
|  +* Also, this error messagetrw
|  |`* Also, this error messageRetro Guy
|  | `* Thant explains sometrw
|  |  `* Thant explains someRetro Guy
|  |   `* Thant explains sometrw
|  |    `* Thant explains someRetro Guy
|  |     `* Thant explains sometrw
|  |      `- Thant explains someRetro Guy
|  `- Did you change the settings ?Retro Guy
+- this is the look so far...Anonymous
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|`* bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
| `- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|`- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* LynxAnonymous
|`- LynxRetro Guy
+* shellAnonymous
|`- shellRetro Guy
+- Lynx not safe ?Anonymous
+- that's for interactive modeAnonymous
+- NoneAnonymous
+- Navigation worksAnonymous
+* ProgressAnonymous
|`- ProgressRetro Guy
+* Post and registration, and new ideasAnonymous
|+* Registration and posts worktrw
||`* Close to switchingtrw
|| `* a bbx postRetroGuy
||  +- a bbx postRetro Guy
||  `- The grass is always greener in the past...trw
|`* Post and registration, and new ideasRetro Guy
| `* pgp would be nicetrw
|  +- pgp would be nicetrw
|  `* pgp would be nicetrw
|   `- pgp would be niceRetro Guy
+* pgp would be niceAnonymous
|`- pgp would be niceRetro Guy
+- bbx alpha versionAnonymous
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|`* bbx alpha versionMarc SCHAEFER
| `- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* bbx alpha versionAnonymous
|+- bbx alpha versionMarc SCHAEFER
|`- bbx alpha versionRetro Guy
+* it is not the inodesAnonymous
|`- it is not the inodesMarc SCHAEFER
+* it is not the inodesAnonymous
|`* it is not the inodesMarc SCHAEFER
| `* it is not the inodesRetro Guy
|  `- it is not the inodesMarc SCHAEFER
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- NoneMarc SCHAEFER
`- NoneAnonymous

Pages:123
Re: it is not the inodes

<rsi9sa$t0e$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=741&group=rocksolid.programming#741

From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: it is not the inodes
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 17:28:58 +0100 (CET)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Wed, 30 Dec 2020 16:28 UTC

Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:
> Maybe I will just install rslight and use it as a news server, seems to be less complicated and more stable than inn2 to me.

INN2 is running stable for the last 20 years or so.

Administrating a UNIX server is sometimes complex.

Re: it is not the inodes

<code.655.22sq1u@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=742&group=rocksolid.programming#742

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 11:01:50 -0800
logging-data="25893"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 30 Dec 2020 19:01 UTC

>>46a6174108e985a88f
>INN2 is running stable for the last 20 years or so.
>Administrating a UNIX server is sometimes complex.

Yeah well, I didn't mean to diss inn2. The most likely chain of causality here is:

complex config of inn2 --> bad setup on my end --> unstable news server

It is the program and the admin together that produce a stable (or in my case unstable) result.

Using rslight just might be more fitting for my skills. :-)

--
Posted on def2

Re: pgp would be nice

<20201230230822.4b06c280@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=743&group=rocksolid.programming#743

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: pgp would be nice
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 23:08:22 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 31 Dec 2020 06:08 UTC

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 05:16:29 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >>2ddb23cb6be90293b7
> >Trying to think of good methods to make it simple for end users to
> >want to participate.
>
> I can see two basic ways:
> 1) either the nodes offer a piece of js that does the signing
> (possibly using a local config file) and attaches a file with the
> signed message automatically when posting. 2) we write a little
> client to do that (could be in any lanuguage, gui or cli). Then the
> user would have to download that client and run it locally. To be
> precise, I don't mean to write a browser here, just some lines to
> take text and sign it, then make a POST to a predefined node.

Either way and the user must trust the code of course. If it's a matter
of trust, maybe javascript is the easiest way. If you allow the js, you
can sign, if you don't it's just a feature you don't use.

Currently, rslight uses javascript for two simple things:

1. When you click 'quote' on replying to a message, it puts the quote
in the text box for you.

2. Displaying times for posts in your local time (or UTC if js disabled)

Either one of these things is not very important, so if you don't
enable javascript they won't work, and that's not really a big deal.

I would think signing a message could be the same. The support is there
in the software, and it's up to the end user whether to use it or not.

Also, another idea:

rslight currently adds a hash to all outgoing messages built from the
the message and header, and the site key. This is sort of a
signature that shows the post is really from this site. Adding the
username is very simple to do, plus all rslight users have a key in
their config (for encrypted messages and maybe future stuff).

Then there would need to be trusted communication between nodes to
share this trust. I think we'd like to do this for other
features/reasons also, so it could be useful.

Thoughts?

Re: bbx alpha version

<67f0341e07fb84284b7283acb8715dbd$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=744&group=rocksolid.programming#744

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: bbx alpha version
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 06:26:26 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 31 Dec 2020 06:26 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>>422fcfe1ec494621f7
> df -i:
> Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1 283360 156142 127218 56% /
> /dev/sda3 5242880 428145 4814735 9% /var/spool/news

> Should be enough, I guess ?

Looking here:
> expire: can't dbzclose /var/lib/news/history.n No space left on device,
> there are 390 Mb space left on the device, so probably it is just not enough.

it seems the space problem is on /dev/sda1. I just checked /var/lib/news on one of my servers and the dir is using 1.7G. Just the history file is 1.1G

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: it is not the inodes

<rsk80q$5mj$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=745&group=rocksolid.programming#745

From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:09:30 +0100 (CET)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:09 UTC

Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:
> Using rslight just might be more fitting for my skills. :-)

It wouldn't for me, because it's not even present in the Debian packages
as far as I can see.

Installing software which is not in my standard distribution involves
even more work, and there is no guarantee of some support nor that it is
correctly integrated with the monitoring and automatic administration
that I like :)

None

<code.659.2b6fj2@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=746&group=rocksolid.programming#746

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: None
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 04:03:48 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 31 Dec 2020 12:03 UTC

>>2a7a5afda55edfea38
>it seems the space problem is on /dev/sda1. I just checked /var/lib/news on one of my servers and the dir is using 1.7G. Just the history file is 1.1G

on my machine the history file is 382 Mb. if inn would attempt to make a copy of this file, that would explain how it runs out of space.
if this was the case, I have to make a new installation...damn...but at least the reason would be clarified then. or maybe i can delete enough other stuff to make space....
thanks anyway for looking that up.

--
Posted on def2

None

<code.660.37bh5u@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=747&group=rocksolid.programming#747

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 04:20:05 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 31 Dec 2020 12:20 UTC

>>f1407c66ccddbbe4ee
>Either way and the user must trust the code of
>course. If it's a matter of trust, maybe javascript is
>the easiest way.

the easiest way to code, yes. it might be easier for users to trust a standalone client than to switch on js in general (especially true for the users that might be interested in this kind of identity management I think).

>If you allow the js, you can sign, if you don't it's just a feature you don't use.

Yes, js is certainly a way to do it. Of course, we could also do both in parallel.

>Also, another idea:
>rslight currently adds a hash to all outgoing messages
>built from the the message and header, and the site
>key. This is sort of a signature that shows the post is
>really from this site. Adding the username is very
>simple to do, plus all rslight users have a key in

using this for identity management would make it dependent on the server(s).
using pgp would be independent of the servers: server admins could not spoof signatures, and it would not matter where the message was obtained, any signature could also be checked locally as well (on the users box).

>Then there would need to be trusted communication
>between nodes to share this trust. I think we'd like to
>do this for other features/reasons also, so it could be
>useful.

I agree this could be useful. Could be done with signatures as well, or secret keys (server addresses).

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<rskhil$bhl$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=748&group=rocksolid.programming#748

From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: None
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 13:52:37 +0100 (CET)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Thu, 31 Dec 2020 12:52 UTC

Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:
> on my machine the history file is 382 Mb. if inn would attempt to make a copy of this file, that would explain how it runs out of space.

I think this is how the history is reclaimed every now and then.

> if this was the case, I have to make a new installation...damn...but at least the reason would be clarified then. or maybe i can delete enough other stuff to make space....
> thanks anyway for looking that up.

You could mount --bind the directory to some place with more room, or
symlink

Re: it is not the inodes

<20201231162045.1206ada9@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=749&group=rocksolid.programming#749

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 16:20:45 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 31 Dec 2020 23:20 UTC

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:09:30 +0100 (CET)
Marc SCHAEFER <schaefer@alphanet.ch> wrote:

> Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:
> > Using rslight just might be more fitting for my skills. :-)
>
> It wouldn't for me, because it's not even present in the Debian
> packages as far as I can see.

rslight is my web based forum software https://www.novabbs.com, which
contains a somewhat complete nnrp server. I wrote this news server as
the backend for the forum so that it works quickly in slow networks
(i2p, tor). Many of my posts here are using a newsreader connected to
rslight (as is this post).

> Installing software which is not in my standard distribution involves
> even more work, and there is no guarantee of some support nor that it
> is correctly integrated with the monitoring and automatic
> administration that I like :)

I fully agree, I always prefer to install software from the repo as in
the past I learned (as many probably have) that installing independent
software can make a mess of the system.

The op probably feels a bit more comfortable since they have installed
rslight in the past, connect to one of my rslight servers currently, and
the developer is right here to answer questions.

Retro Guy

Re: it is not the inodes

<rsmujk$uig$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=750&group=rocksolid.programming#750

From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 11:47:16 +0100 (CET)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Fri, 1 Jan 2021 10:47 UTC

Retro Guy <retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:
> the past I learned (as many probably have) that installing independent
> software can make a mess of the system.

You can, but I put them in /usr/local/APPLICATION-version and then
symlink the current version directory to /usr/local/APPLICATION and
write wrapper scripts in /usr/local/bin calling the application with all
the correct variables defined.

If required (e.g. make so that `firefox' is actually
/usr/local/FIREFOX/firefox or something), you may want to use
dpkg-divert (on a Debian-based distribution).

E.g.

# move the distribution-upgradeable file out of the way
# (by default the distribution will then only upgrade
# /usr/bin/firefox.distrib)
dpkg-divert --rename /usr/bin/firefox

ln -s /usr/local/bin/firefox-wrapper /usr/bin/firefox

This works very well.

Also, you can today use sandboxed packaging or container to isolate
badly behaving software.