From: Anonym...@i2pn2.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: The Modern Web
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 00:11:45 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 00:11 UTC

Frankly, that's how this world is these days. You can have anything you want on the web as long as it uses HTML/CSS and JavaScript.

Microsoft has come out with a new technology called Blazor. It is a very good programming language that runs in the browser like your archaic JavaScript. Go and try it and get good hard erection with it.

Good luck to you.
--
Posted on i2pn2.org

Re: The Modern Web

<1b33864dd91d7f249a5f05c5fe437c66@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=444&group=rocksolid.programming#444

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:04:55 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:04 UTC

AnonUser wrote:

> snip

> The web should have been for _one_ thing, and _one_ thing only: static
> interlinked documents. Everything else on top is bloat at the expense of
> basically everything.

Wasn't that gopher's job?

> TL;DR: The modern web sucks dick.

The bloated flashy modern web sure does. Simple sites are fine.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: The Modern Web

<559fc386bce655e284a499fc28cd26f9@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=454&group=rocksolid.programming#454

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2022 06:17:08 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 06:17 UTC

And all this is existing when we (still) have Adobe Flash which can do the same but on 2000's computer. And before that we had Java applets which could do even more. And ActiveX was in fact components which ran with native performance.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: The Modern Web

<054dbf30b25aec9879a0bf8dcaeb6e87@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=456&group=rocksolid.programming#456

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 21:00:00 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 21:00 UTC

Flash, Java and ActiveX suck even more, at least from a security point of view: It's a gaping abyss of bad code.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: The Modern Web

<1695c25db37be4b1556d8c5f6202d398@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=457&group=rocksolid.programming#457

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 15:09:13 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 15:09 UTC

it's good i only make text based sites... spared from all that bloat and spyware

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: The Modern Web

<e141e5b7f17bec94199f4ec23691abc8@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=458&group=rocksolid.programming#458

From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 23:05:14 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 23:05 UTC

It's always had shitty aspects. HTML should have been strictly dedicated to text, images and simple layout formatting. All of the "advanced functionality" ruined it, and Google has only accelerated that. Flash was an insecure pile of shit, but at least it was contained, HTML5 pulled it into the standard.

Gemini protocol is a usable alternative, but won't be satisfactory for people needing formatting capabilities similar to that found in the presentation of a college textbook.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

The Modern Web

<8bf72f936ed3cc85a7ff8cd278fb3ee5$1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=484&group=rocksolid.programming#484

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: The Modern Web
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 00:50:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Mon, 14 Oct 2019 00:50 UTC

The modern web has become a monstrosity that is more akin to an
application distribution platform more than anything else at this point
and it is a terrible one at that.

It doesn't allow you to choose your own language, you are stuck with the
abomination of a language that is called JavaScript. W3C even stated that
WebAssembly is not meant to replace JavaScript, it is meant to complement
it. What a load of bullshit. It is not possible to access the DOM directly
via. WebAssembly. In other words, you will not be able to run other
languages without JavaScript intermingling _by design_.

It is highly inefficient and wasteful. Any program written in HTML/CSS/JS
is by default extremely resource intensive in comparison to, for example,
its C++ counterpart. It hogs your memory, wastes your CPU cycles and
drains your mobile's battery. Not only that, but on the desktop every
electron program ships their own chromium browser, which is not what one
would consider a lightweight program. Same people writing those shitty
inefficient programs are devout environmentalists. What a joke.

The modern browser is a beast. A single person can not possibly implement
a standard compliant browser on his own. Which is why we are stuck with a
few huge browsers and they all suck equally bad.

The design of the modern browser is also not one which has privacy in
mind. Data leaks through every nook and cranny. Browser fingerprinting is
really easy and very reliable. Who needs IP based tracking when you've got
a browser fingerprint that is pretty much unique? Add JavaScript into the
mix and they also get your monitors resolution and other configurations
that tie the noose around your privacy-aware neck even tighter.