From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: bash tac in freebsd
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 03:15:24 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 16 Sep 2020 03:15 UTC

While working on displaying last user in a thread, I found that bash tac worked well and is much faster that cat as I want to get the latest files first and they're at the end of the overview.

Seems freebsd doesn't have tac, so I used cat on freebsd. Then I tried tail -r on freebsd and it works great, but it doesn't work on Linux (invalid option 'r').

So I'm back to using a different command for each os, but at least I can use tail -r on freebsd now.

I'll eventually get this into pure php, but right now this is the fastest way to gather the info and render the pages. Reading the file in reverse in php is much slower, so still looking into better ways to do this.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

None

<code.594.27r7r0@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=670&group=rocksolid.programming#670

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: None
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 23:20:59 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 16 Sep 2020 06:20 UTC

Don't know about freebsd but dragonfly has implemented tac recently. It effectively is tail -rq
https://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commit/b743b76f8c2cc8315de7eac87507463cccaded9c

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<20200915235440.6be11d68@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=671&group=rocksolid.programming#671

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: None
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 23:54:40 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 16 Sep 2020 06:54 UTC

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 23:20:59 -0700
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> Don't know about freebsd but dragonfly has implemented tac recently.
> It effectively is tail -rq
> https://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commit/b743b76f8c2cc8315de7eac87507463cccaded9c

Strange, I can't get tail -r to work on Debian. (invalid option -- 'r')
Of course tail -rq gives the same result.