Bringing computers into the home won't change either one, but may revitalize the corner saloon.

devel / rocksolid.programming / Re: b32

SubjectAuthor
* gopher on i2pAnonymous
+- gopher on i2pAnonUser
+* gopherAnonymous
|`- gopherRetro Guy
+* b32Anonymous
|`* b32Retro Guy
| `* b32Marc SCHAEFER
|  `* b32Retro Guy
|   `- b32Marc SCHAEFER
+* AmigaNOSAnonymous
|`- AmigaNOSMarc SCHAEFER
`- OS != NOSAnonymous

1
gopher on i2p

<code.581.228k5b@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=657&group=rocksolid.programming#657

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: gopher on i2p
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 14:58:57 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 3 Sep 2020 21:58 UTC

Hey Retro Guy,

someone is sharing your interest in ...let's say some "less used" protocols:

http://kelvinchan.i2p/tech/res/42.html#42

I have never tried gopher myself, but sounds good.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: gopher on i2p

<0c53be60a84016aaffe0bb8a63892381$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=658&group=rocksolid.programming#658

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: gopher on i2p
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 10:38:13 +0000
 by: AnonUser - Sat, 5 Sep 2020 10:38 UTC
Attachments: rs-gopher.png (image/png)

Anonymous wrote:

> Hey Retro Guy,

> someone is sharing your interest in ...let's say some "less used" protocols:

> http://kelvinchan.i2p/tech/res/42.html#42

I can't seem to get to the site atm. stats.i2p doesn't have it, no.i2p keeps showing unavailable. I'll keep trying :)

> I have never tried gopher myself, but sounds good.

I used gopher a long time ago to browse through documents, etc. at universities. It was awesome at the time, just the fact that you had access to the info!

Did you know that Rocksolid is available by gopher:

rocksolidbbs.com:70

Attached is a pic in a gopher client. Clicking articles is like clicking to read a text file, then "back" to the article list.

Retro Guy

Attachments: rs-gopher.png
gopher

<code.583.3rztsf@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=659&group=rocksolid.programming#659

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: gopher
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 11:43:41 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 6 Sep 2020 18:43 UTC
Attachments: gopher.jpg (image/jpeg)

>Did you know that Rocksolid is available by gopher:

Yes, I knew that you wanted do to that, but I never followed up. Some ppl in the thread quoted believe that it is suited well to i2p.
It's odd thatyou cannot reach kelvinchan. I can post the b32 if necessary.

cheers

trw

Attachments: gopher.jpg
Re: gopher

<20200908190859.0fea92a8@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=660&group=rocksolid.programming#660

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: gopher
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 19:08:59 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 9 Sep 2020 02:08 UTC

On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 11:43:41 -0700
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >Did you know that Rocksolid is available by gopher:
>
> Yes, I knew that you wanted do to that, but I never followed up. Some
> ppl in the thread quoted believe that it is suited well to i2p. It's

Gopher is great. It's fast and easy, but it's one direction. You can't
post things, only read. For reading information, it works very well!

> odd thatyou cannot reach kelvinchan. I can post the b32 if necessary.

I still can't get there. Tried three jump services but to no avail. A
b32 would be great :)

Retro Guy

b32

<code.585.b1ybp@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=661&group=rocksolid.programming#661

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: b32
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 10:33:10 -0700
logging-data="15156"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 9 Sep 2020 17:33 UTC

http://6s72dyf6jwlvk2u455lksvcs5r7deafc3iniwo5kp4ssm777noma.b32.i2p/

here you go.

if gopher is not for posting, who is creating content than ? server admins only ?

--
Posted on def2

Re: b32

<20200909224712.7ad8af2f@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=662&group=rocksolid.programming#662

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: b32
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 22:47:12 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 10 Sep 2020 05:47 UTC

On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 10:33:10 -0700
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> http://6s72dyf6jwlvk2u455lksvcs5r7deafc3iniwo5kp4ssm777noma.b32.i2p/
>
> here you go.

Thanks for that, I'm in now :)

> if gopher is not for posting, who is creating content than ? server
> admins only ?

Here's a snippet from wikipedia that is well worded:
"The Gopher protocol is a communications protocol designed for
distributing, searching, and retrieving documents in Internet Protocol
networks"

Gopher is great for pulling and reading documents, but it's not
designed to upload anything. I used it extensively in the past, using
Archie and/or Veronica for searching, and it was nice!

It's design is to provide information in a structured format
(directory hierarchy). It was a nice way to find articles and papers,
etc. from universities, but you can't upload to a gopher server.

Retro Guy

Re: b32

<rjcgiu$e7q$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=663&group=rocksolid.programming#663

From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 08:20:14 +0200 (CEST)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Thu, 10 Sep 2020 06:20 UTC

Retro Guy <retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:
> Gopher is great for pulling and reading documents, but it's not

When I had my last Gopher server around 1990, I had a simple FTP
interface to upload to it. Today, WebDAV or SSH could be
used :)

Then I discovered libwww and I installed my first WWW server (around
1992?). Gopher is typically a precursor technology that is no longer
useful today, in my opinion.

Re: b32

<5e10ed1a37b6255746201a5e1d1108e1$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=664&group=rocksolid.programming#664

From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 09:04:45 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 10 Sep 2020 09:04 UTC

Marc SCHAEFER wrote:

> Then I discovered libwww and I installed my first WWW server (around
> 1992?). Gopher is typically a precursor technology that is no longer
> useful today, in my opinion.

I had forgotten about libwww, it's been a long time :) I was still using BBSs in 1992, but finally found internet access in 1993 (through a BBS). Brings back memories of SLIP, PPP, Trumpet Winsock etc. That was a lot of fun. Not to mention running NCSA Mosaic for the first time. That was right around the time I discovered Slackware.

Much has changed since then and gopher is mostly forgotten, but it was a nice way to pull documents in its time.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: b32

<rjdck4$6hc$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=665&group=rocksolid.programming#665

From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Supersedes: <rjdcf2$6am$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 16:18:44 +0200 (CEST)
Cancel-Key: sha1:gGCF2c9iH5XWJhuyl7yF48U7/oY=
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Thu, 10 Sep 2020 14:18 UTC

Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:
> I had forgotten about libwww, it's been a long time :) I was still
> using BBSs in 1992, but finally found internet access in 1993 (through
> a BBS). Brings back memories of SLIP, PPP, Trumpet Winsock etc. That
> was a lot of fun. Not to mention running NCSA Mosaic for the first
> time. That was right around the time I discovered Slackware.

Want to hear a modem connecting to the Internet in 2020 ? and see a
modem UNIX connection, a PPP connection, a SSH and a few pings ? There
are generated English subtitles from the French ones I guess [1]
Oh, and even some web browsing. My sites work quite well, but most
of the modern sites are verrrry slow.

(my first Internet connection was in 1987 or 1988, using SLIP on
AmigaNOS then on SYSV UNIX -- mostly using UNIX systems since
1993 -- I had to install Trumpet Winsock for my boss back on Microsoft
back then, though)

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLIbF1RFRws

AmigaNOS

<code.590.c40xa@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=666&group=rocksolid.programming#666

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: AmigaNOS
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:28:18 -0700
logging-data="997"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 10 Sep 2020 20:28 UTC

> AmigaNOS

Used that for gaming only. Internet came 10 years later for me (using a commercial Unix at my tech and finding my way through pine).

--
Posted on def2

Re: AmigaNOS

<rjf794$oma$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=667&group=rocksolid.programming#667

From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: Re: AmigaNOS
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 08:59:48 +0200 (CEST)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Fri, 11 Sep 2020 06:59 UTC

Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:
>> AmigaNOS
> Used that for gaming only. Internet came 10 years later for me (using
> a commercial Unix at my tech and finding my way through pine).

Actually, there were two different things:

AmigaDOS or AmigaOS: was the Amiga's Multitasking Lightweight
Message-based OS: the hardware and the software was quite
impressive: I used Amiga-based hardware for video
editing until the 200x: currently using kdenlive on GNU/Linux.

AmigaNOS was a port of the MS-DOS software NOS, used mainly for AX.25
stuff (radio-amateur) but which you could also use in a TCP/IP world.

Basically, AmigaNOS was a standalone executable, not multitasked,
which would basically implement basic TCP/IP networking.

Then came real native TCP/IP networking (I guess around 1991 or so),
then came the ixemul.library where you could recompile all POSIX
software and use them as AmigaOS processes.

I used that for a few years, then switched to commercial UNIX (SYSV
mostly) on m68k, then RISC plateforms (R2000), using my Amiga as a X11
display plateform for them.

Currently using mostly GNU/Linux Debian on amd64 and apu2.

PS: used pine til the 2000 and then switched to mutt.

OS != NOS

<code.592.1a9rge@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=668&group=rocksolid.programming#668

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Subject: OS != NOS
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 01:34:47 -0700
logging-data="21014"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@rocksolidbbs.com"
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 11 Sep 2020 08:34 UTC

>Actually, there were two different things:
> AmigaDOS or AmigaOS: was the Amiga's >Multitasking Lightweight Message-based OS: the >hardware and the software was quite impressive:

I meant this one then. And impressive is the right word: the graphics and soundeffects were really nice.

--
Posted on def2