If Bill Gates is the Devil then Linus Torvalds must be the Messiah. -- Unknown source

computers / rocksolid.shared.i2p / Re: Dropbox service on i2p

SubjectAuthor
* Dropbox service on i2ptrw
+- Dropbox service on i2p37274427
+* Dropbox service on i2pJohn Doe
|`* Dropbox service on i2panonymous
| `* Dropbox service on i2pJohn Doe
|  `* Dropbox service on i2ptrw
|   +* Dropbox service on i2pAnonUser
|   |`- Dropbox service on i2ptrw
|   `* Dropbox service on i2pJohn Doe
|    `* Dropbox service on i2ptrw
|     `* Dropbox service on i2p382472387
|      `- Dropbox service on i2ptrw
`* Dropbox service on i2ptrw
 `- Dropbox service on i2pRetro Guy

1
Dropbox service on i2p

<355c90c6523a7a78b4bfca28a9f82721@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#20

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Subject: Dropbox service on i2p
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:30:44+0000
 by: trw - Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:30 UTC

http://dropbox.i2p

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<082e79e90fdf0bf1dbd97b30fcf32f41@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#21

From: 37274...@anon.com (37274427)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Subject: Re: Dropbox service on i2p
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:36:45+0000
 by: 37274427 - Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:36 UTC

http://dropbox.i2p/?i2paddresshelper=AIHFAcVRliHl7~SdE1F8zuwTSErFrle209AlSeAIwCKmq2rGqaAsl~~w~P0S8Q19aaZ20NIZAIFfY7duH6TT7rC1ergtoIElHtjZo4hYc5lwJsq9HMCqpRz6RDxHb9Ba3vQAMrXm7vhrwoKUYk9IP6j6~FT8IAZ8KJzL56x~K5R66QVB9-KfNNSQdbD5oievtPC8BQCIRRm6chQ2Gi8zU0EuV8pyXv1d-YSrrJHp2wYBU--1HimCrPGNPZGMFar8kOJ8tOSinKjpXut~B1gn-eJ1hoaryF7nz36woYbTd2wrxFOo8i2A8gQkxvXp1NJk7O5NAeUy5s1fjkC02KWkcyIMWanfR-XJSe0FG0GsY~0yrm0DiRqiT5kfWJGOfCKfl9AP~2nqCwRNrXUq25qyZ4tfzwNuGtlC2NVALrU7M53jJKBY4jcboAP9b2tUJkCdjOcrndbReCXIyzwyw5Vohn6R7gboZp7z5Dz45WF3OMryrKfcsLv1-RDSxK8JSQ4gBQAEAAcAAA%3d%3d

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<q48li0$18cq$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=22&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#22

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:36:05 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="41370"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: John Doe - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:36 UTC

On 2019-02-15 21:30, you wrote:

> http://dropbox.i2p

Replace your captcha image with plain-text question.

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<6676d2647a319cb580520304abe9151b$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#23

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:41:57 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="17241"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 09:41 UTC

>Replace your captcha image with plain-text question.

to achieve what exactly ?--
Posted on def2

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<q48ovk$1joa$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#24

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:34:33 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="53002"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: John Doe - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 10:34 UTC

On 2019-02-16 09:41, you wrote:

> >Replace your captcha image with plain-text question.
>
> to achieve what exactly ?-- Posted on def2

Console browser does not display images.

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<797f4d1e181f0b3dcef69bdaa696464e@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#25

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:03:21+0000
 by: trw - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:03 UTC

> Console browser does not display images.

oh, ok. thanks for the feedback. in this case i will have to hack some extra code...question is how to keep the bots out ?
i guess one would have to collect questions and answers that a human can answer better than a bot (not talking about ai here, mind you).
or work with ascii art. i think i like that idea better...
maybe something with roman numerals...
i have to think about that for a spell. but i will take it on the to do list.

where are you posting from, btw ? i see no server signature under your messages ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<b5080259938f70e4e865561447a437cb$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#26

From: AnonU...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:24:42 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="28848"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@rocksolidbbs.com"
 by: AnonUser - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:24 UTC

trw wrote:

> where are you posting from, btw ? i see no server signature under your
messages ?

> cheers

> trw

> Posted on def4

they not using a node just nntp connection.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<1ed039a66f392405ff5307b4e26336e2@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#27

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:37:06+0000
 by: trw - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:37 UTC

>they not using a node just nntp connection.

ah, ok. yes, it is the frontend that adds the signature, not the news server. so if you just post with a reader, you will not have any.

to come back to the subject of text captchas, i think i will go with randomly generated text pieces, and let the user pick out every second or third character or something like that. to collect enough questions and answers seems like hard work, and ascii art might be distorted on the clients side.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<q49ees$1ovs$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#28

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 16:41:03 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="58364"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: John Doe - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 16:41 UTC

On 2019-02-16 15:03, you wrote:

> >Console browser does not display images.
>
> oh, ok. thanks for the feedback. in this case i will have to hack some extra
> code...question is how to keep the bots out ?
> i guess one would have to collect questions and answers that a human can
> answer better than a bot (not talking about ai here, mind you).
> or work with ascii art. i think i like that idea better...
ascii art - good idea.

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<bb7b255cc0190279caf134fada8ab528@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#29

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:43:30+0000
 by: trw - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 19:43 UTC

>ascii art - good idea.

yeah, it is charming, but i'm afraid not very robust: depending on the client it is likely to be distorted in some way and create frustration.
i have put a captcha text as an alt text to the image now.

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<b81d2b86e08b3dddffe2b8ccdf45396c@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#30

From: 382472...@anon.com (382472387)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:56:55+0000
 by: 382472387 - Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:56 UTC

>i have put a captcha text as an alt text to the image now.

let me know if that works for you.

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<qg9tje$vam$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=77&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#77

From: trw...@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:12:56 -0400
 by: trw - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:12 UTC

check out a similar service, with a lot more features (in fact, it is based on the code of dropbox, but not compatible
anymore):

http://boxs.i2p
http://owm3fy2t5vwbxowk5gsshihkwjfknqq7y4ylbeyhvzta7r3ybrpq.b32.i2p/
http://boxs.i2p/?i2paddresshelper=btgtA~3zYWhhynEfFjLQTJvI7ICO40ze-z97BwBkC-igTPLIzbotH7rPc-BTxh8AHFQBpagEswqIF678kSue0-pgQq8BIjsmbfaWwuI3DFEHgoO7OoJW8ruO5xSsFdTSSF-KiksJNMPUEU8SZ0Ue0nwxm7NsBzbgzXPOZYMad3S6fC4b1oxFpb3MZ6oMBMsmm8t7hJ3duRgNtL2CvlDdkSLDnj3aMO2~uhc1cy7q9ko8JKR3dHxCtgM-qQF~TllO2b9ad9bLzb1mELipTqVcg3rPUmZ3lHQ1Ri9Ka3xUvb6mbS556pKKCemFsfK2dSRb701K~SsKf1f9NB56EjiL7AmqrarCEytIXbgfUtSvLzhnCr-Cc1LT68yVFl3BQjqX6VGSx1IVelnkkfUzQSb0-gpR6Vj-LxMvmuITAXH8LJiwNddwl7md6-z-DZjLDEyV3Xnw7OX8RbR7QCSkfCZe0A726NdnWeuwEGISwPs6a2sRkMgES5B90czNkAnkGzL0BQAEAAcAAA%3d%3d

http://ana5icnp3au4qy5i.onion/

it is still in development, but already usable.

cheers

trw

Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<a08bd6a4e4f5d9e4f5d4b9d0072165f1@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=89&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#89

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:46:36+0000
 by: trw - Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:46 UTC

>Synchronet uses ssjs, which is interesting.

is that like nodejs ? it is both server side java script, if i understand well.

>Do we write an interface script? Something along the lines of pullnews and do all the work without any plugins, just run the script? This requires specific code for every variation of database layouts of web interface software.

I am not sure to understand the exact difference between a script and a plugin.
To start with the language, I would use php for that, because we have an existing codebase (ff and rslight), and almost all forum software is in php, so it should be easy to add our stuff if we use the same language.
Any implementation needs to be specific to the forum software, but I have the hope that the adaption to any given forum software is just a matter of a few minutes.

> Do we write a plugin that does as you state above, post to the db and to nntp server at the same time? This is what fudforum does.

I think this is the easiest. Any forum has a line in the code where the message is written to the db. Right after this, we just insert a call to our function (to write to the news server), which we need to feed the correct parameters of course.

>Then to work the other direction, we need a plugin to pull articles from the nntp server (fudforum uses nntp.php) Looking at nntp.php (ff), it works reasonably well, but is of course written specifically for ff, and depends on other files included, and config files. It would take some time to modify it to work with other software, but still might be a good basis to start from.

Either we start with ff, or with rslight (it does the same thing, right ?)

> Posting to the nntp server is easy, probably easier than pulling articles from a db, modifying them (for nntp format) and then posting them. At this point, I lean toward a plugin for posting, and a script for pulling. This is how ff does it, and it seems to be a reasonable way to do it.

Okay, so you mean the difference between a plugin and a script is that the plugin is called from the forum code, while the script is just started and runs independently ?

> rslight already contains the code to produce nntp messages, which we can of course modify as needed. I would like to take some time to dissect nntp.php and see how simple I can bring it down (removing dependencies on ff, etc.). Then try to get it working just writing a plain text file. Once that works, we try to write directly to a db. What do you think?

Sounds good to me.

> For a plugin, it should be a simple matter of adding nntp config, then taking the variables containing post info and structuring into a var for nntp format, then just send it with rpost or similiar.

If we use rpost, we need to work on the same machine again. It would be neat to have a solution that works over the network as well (a small client), to lower the bar for federation as much as possible. I guess the installation of a news server would scare off many newbies.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<20190718152143.35c1f769@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=91&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#91

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 15:21:43 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 18 Jul 2019 22:21 UTC

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:46:36+0000
trw <trw@anon.com> wrote:

> >Synchronet uses ssjs, which is interesting.
>
> is that like nodejs ? it is both server side java script, if i
> understand well.

Exactly. Server side javascript.

> > Do we write a plugin that does as you state above, post to the db
> > and to nntp server at the same time? This is what fudforum does.
>
> I think this is the easiest. Any forum has a line in the code where
> the message is written to the db. Right after this, we just insert a
> call to our function (to write to the news server), which we need to
> feed the correct parameters of course.

I agree completely.

> >Then to work the other direction, we need a plugin to pull articles
> >from the nntp server (fudforum uses nntp.php) Looking at nntp.php
> >(ff), it works reasonably well, but is of course written
> >specifically for ff, and depends on other files included, and config
> >files. It would take some time to modify it to work with other
> >software, but still might be a good basis to start from.
>
> Either we start with ff, or with rslight (it does the same thing,
> right ?)

I believe so. Maybe best to start with rslight and just change how it
"saves" the articles. I can work on a new function to simply write each
article "part" in an array to make it easy to then write to different
db formats.

> > Posting to the nntp server is easy, probably easier than pulling
> > articles from a db, modifying them (for nntp format) and then
> > posting them. At this point, I lean toward a plugin for posting,
> > and a script for pulling. This is how ff does it, and it seems to
> > be a reasonable way to do it.
>
> Okay, so you mean the difference between a plugin and a script is
> that the plugin is called from the forum code, while the script is
> just started and runs independently ?

Exactly. I still think this is the best or easiest way.

> > For a plugin, it should be a simple matter of adding nntp config,
> > then taking the variables containing post info and structuring into
> > a var for nntp format, then just send it with rpost or similiar.
>
> If we use rpost, we need to work on the same machine again. It would
> be neat to have a solution that works over the network as well (a
> small client), to lower the bar for federation as much as possible. I
> guess the installation of a news server would scare off many newbies.

rpost can write to a remote server. This is how I'm making my
encryption test messages, I'm sending them from my desktop with no inn
server, to rocksolid2 using rpost.

Retro Guy