rocksolid / rocksolid.shared.test / Re: > That's due to the change

SubjectAuthor
* Does this encryption thing work ?trww
+* Re: Does this encryption thing work ?trww
|`* Re: Does this encryption thing work ?Retro Guy
| `* Re: Does this encryption thing work ?trww
|  `* Re: Does this encryption thing work ?Retro Guy
|   `* Re: Does this encryption thing work ?Retro Guy
|    `* Re: Does this encryption thing work ?AnonUser
|     `- Re: Does this encryption thing work ?Retro Guy
+- Re: Does this encryption thing work ?Retro Guy
+* > That's due to the changeAnonymous
|`- Re: > That's due to the changeRetro Guy
+* no, i don't need any of the old stuffAnonymous
|`- Re: no, i don't need any of the old stuffRetro Guy
`* this really happens ?Anonymous
 `- Re: this really happens ?Retro Guy

Subject: Re: > That's due to the change
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:04 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

Does that mean that the old messages cannot be read any longer ?

That's correct. I can make it so that it will still work with old encrypted messages, but it's not as secure. If you need one of the messages just say so and I'll temporarily enable it to work.

(i had almost written now: "does that mean anne margret is not coming ?" lol)

ann margaret? lol Quite the slip.

www.novabbs.com

Subject: no, i don't need any of the old stuff
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:44 UTC
just asking out of interest.

Subject: Re: no, i don't need any of the old stuff
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:32 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

just asking out of interest.

The way it used to work is the header line X-Rslight-Site: had a string that rslight used to determine if the post was made on the particular site. If so, it would offer to decrypt. This header is easy to spoof, so add the header, copy/paste the string and it offers. You still can't decrypt it as it uses a key specific to the user to do that, but it's easy to spoof and cause confusion.

I added a feature that shows (discreetly right now, while I'm testing), if the poster of a message made that post on THIS site (whatever rslight site you are on). I have clearnet users who post from other news servers, and spoof the username/email of users of my sites, then claim the user said whatever. Yeah, it's the internet :) So I modified the code to show if the post actually came from this site using a more intricate method of creating the header. It's no longer possible to copy/paste the header, it won't work. The string is now site and message specific.

The side effect is that encrypted messages are no longer offered if they were posted before the code modification was made.

news.novabbs.com

Subject: this really happens ?
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 18:58 UTC
I have clearnet users who post from other news servers, and spoof the username/email of users of my sites, then claim the user said whatever. Yeah, it's the internet :)

how childish. isn't that easy to lookup once you take a look at the header (i mean where it came from, the path how it was synced) ?
and i guess you talk about other groups ? because i have never seen this on rocksolid.

Subject: Re: this really happens ?
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 08:44 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

I have clearnet users who post from other news servers, and spoof the username/email of users of my sites, then claim the user said whatever. Yeah, it's the internet :)

how childish. isn't that easy to lookup once you take a look at the header (i mean where it came from, the path how it was synced) ?
and i guess you talk about other groups ? because i have never seen this on rocksolid.

You can, but rslight doesn't show many headers. I can determine if it was posted here, but that requires me to be involved in their stupid infighting. I'd rather they work it out themselves. Yes, these are other usenet newsgroups, not rocksolid. rslight.i2p, etc. currently carries 292 groups, including rocksolid.

Currently, since 0.6.5d, posts made from the same site (only since the upgrade to d), show the poster's name in italics when reading the message. I may add some "posted here" icon or something in the future, but right now I'm just working it all out. There is one more mod I want to make to make it less easy to spoof before I really make it obvious. This mod won't effect encrypted messages.

www.novabbs.com