Subject: British judges take governments promises as a basis for their ruling
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 11:57 UTC

wtf ? This will open a whole lot of possibilities:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/27/heathrow-third-runway-ruled-illegal-over-climate-change

Posted on def4

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-sas-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 09:01 UTC
  To: anon
“For the first time, a court has confirmed that the Paris agreement temperature goal has binding effect."

I think the binding effect was self inflicted by the British court. Is there any real binding effect from the international community?
retrobbs.i2p

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 20:58 UTC

I think the binding effect was self inflicted by the British court. Is there any real binding effect from the international community?

That is exactly the point: seems to me like more and more people begin to take these matters seriously, even those you would not expect to (like a judge).
And in this case it lead to the hilarious situation that the judge took something not really tangible (legally speaking) as a basis for his decision.
Since the british judicial system is not based on any central document, but more a collection of previous decisions, this might actually become a new standard.
lol

Posted on def4

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-k6r-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 09:08 UTC
  To: anon
anon wrote:

I think the binding effect was self inflicted by the British court. Is there any real binding effect from the international community?

That is exactly the point: seems to me like more and more people begin to take these matters seriously, even those you would not expect to (like a judge).
And in this case it lead to the hilarious situation that the judge took something not really tangible (legally speaking) as a basis for his decision.
Since the british judicial system is not based on any central document, but more a collection of previous decisions, this might actually become a new standard.
lol

The british judicial system over time has been a great influence on the western world, but it does cause some concern how things can change and warp in some weird direction in future time. I remember years ago, not details, just that it happened, that a US court made a judgement based on a UN rule and I found that quite a bit concerning. It doesn't matter to me really what the UN rule was/is, just that the UN is not an authority of the US, or any sovereign country. (that's handled by war which is an entirely different subject)

retrobbs.i2p