From: roo...@192.168.0.42 (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: vim in Debian Stretch
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 06:37:10 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 17 Nov 2017 06:37 UTC

It seems that Debian has by default enabled visual mode and
syntax highlighting in vim.

Not what I really want so here's how I changed it back in
/usr/share/vim/vim80/defaults.vim.

In the following section, change the set mouse line and
syntax line.

" In many terminal emulators the mouse works just fine. By
enabling it you
" can position the cursor, Visually select and scroll with
the mouse.
if has('mouse')
set mouse-=a
endif

" Switch syntax highlighting on when the terminal has colors
or when using the
" GUI (which always has colors).
if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
" Revert with ":syntax off".
syntax off

" I like highlighting strings inside C comments.
" Revert with ":unlet c_comment_strings".
let c_comment_strings=1
endif

Posted on RetroBBS II