From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net.remove-eda-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Expiring articles in inn
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 05:01:33 -0700
To: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 26 Nov 2017 12:01 UTC

To: rocksolid.shared.linux
I have modified expiration on my news servers (the end user interfaces
and retrobbs do not expire articles).

I thought I'd post the instructions for inn:

23.5.5. Expiring News Articles

When news articles are received by a news server, they are stored to
disk. News articles need to be available to users for some period of
time to be useful, so a large operating news server can consume lots of
disk space. To ensure that the disk space is used effectively, you can
opt to delete news articles automatically after a period of time. This
is called article expiration. Naturally, INN provides a means of
automatically expiring news articles.
23.5.5.1. The expire.ctl file

The INN server uses a program called expire to delete expired news
articles. The expire program in turn uses a file called
/etc/news/expire.ctl to configure the rules that govern article expiration.

The syntax of /etc/news/expire.ctl is fairly simple. As with most
configuration files, empty lines or lines beginning with the # character
are ignored. The general idea is that you specify one rule per line.
Each rule defines how article expiration will be performed on newsgroups
matching a supplied pattern. The rule syntax looks like this:

pattern:modflag:keep:default:purge

The following list describes the fields:

pattern

This field is a comma-delimited list of patterns matching names of
newsgroups. The wildmat (3) routine is used to match these patterns. The
last rule matching a newsgroup name is the one that is applied, so if
you want to specify wildcard (*) rules, they should be listed first in
this file.
modflag

This flag describes how this rule applies to moderated newsgroups.
It can be coded with an M to mean that this rule applies only to
moderated newsgroups, a U to mean that this rule applies only to
unmoderated newsgroups, or an A to mean that this rule ignores the
moderated status and applies to all groups.
keep

This field allows you to specify the minimum time an article with an
“Expires” header will be kept before it is expired. The units are days,
and are a floating point, so you may specify values like 7.5 for
seven-and-a-half days. You may also specify never if you wish articles
to stay in a newsgroup forever.
default

This field is the most important. This field allows you to specify
the time an article without an Expires header will be kept. Most
articles won't have an Expires header. This field is coded in the same
way as the keep field, with never meaning that articles without Expires
headers will never be expired.
purge

This field allows you to specify the maximum time an article with an
Expires header will be kept before it is expired. The coding of this
field is the same as for the keep field.

Our requirements are simple. We will keep all articles in all newsgroups
for 14 days by default, and between 7 and 21 days for articles that have
an Expires header. The rec.crafts.brewing.private newsgroup is our
internal newsgroup, so we'll make sure we don't expire any articles from it:

# expire.ctl file for the Virtual Brewery

# Expire all articles in 14 days by default, 7-21 days for those with
# Expires: headers
*:A:7:14:21

# This is a special internal newsgroup, which we will never expire.
rec.crafts.brewing.private:A:never:never:never

We will mention one special type of entry you may have in your
/etc/news/expires.ctl file. You may have exactly one line that looks
like this:

/remember/:days

This entry allows you to specify the minimum number of days that an
article will be remembered in the history file, irrespective of whether
the article itself has been expired or not. This might be useful if one
of the sites that is feeding you articles is infrequent and has a habit
of sending you old articles every now and again. Setting the /remember/
field helps to prevent the upstream server from sending you the article
again, even if it has already been expired from your server. If your
server remembers it has already received the article, it will reject
attempts to resend it. It is important to remember that this setting has
no effect at all on article expiration; it affects only the time that
details of an article are kept in the history database.
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Posted on RetroBBS