From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Ayn Rand discussion
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 06:06:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 17 Jan 2020 06:06 UTC

I ran across an discussion about Ayn Rand in alt.arts.poetry.comments today (which is usually a group of arguments).

Some of the observations are a bit interesting.

http://rslight.i2p/a-e/article-flat.php?id=97048&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#97048

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: Ayn Rand discussion

<3bd95bf08789aad5cb9d862e63b3ca22@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=134&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#134

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand discussion
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 09:57:12+0000
 by: anon - Fri, 17 Jan 2020 09:57 UTC

wasn't she the one with "poverty is theft" ? oh man, that was some piece of work (listened to the audiobook just out of curiosity). wouldn't touch her "philosophy" with a pointy stick.
don't tell me you are into her ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Ayn Rand discussion

<8b445b3763599b55ca64e873dec986d8$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=135&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#135

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 22:44:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 17 Jan 2020 22:44 UTC

anon wrote:

> wasn't she the one with "poverty is theft" ? oh man, that was some piece of work (listened to the audiobook just out of curiosity). wouldn't touch her "philosophy" with a pointy stick.
> don't tell me you are into her ?

not at all, i just find her views interesting though i strongly disagree with them. she was quite a non caring and non understanding person, only interested in the protection of her own status.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: Ayn Rand discussion

<2c4823221aad321b9537db88cbe60db3@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=137&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#137

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 18:38:47+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 18 Jan 2020 18:38 UTC

>not at all, i just find her views interesting though i strongly disagree with them.

what is the interesting part for you ?

from what i understood, her teachings mainly revolve around the thoughts that:
-everybody is and needs to be responsible for him/herself, and for nobody else
-there should be no regulations for anything by the state, but everything should be negotiated directly, and only by the parties involved
-because everybody takes care of themselves, in the end everybody is cared for

More or less the classic neoliberal approach, maybe even a bit more radical in regard to the role of the state.

Posted on def4

Re: Ayn Rand discussion

<bcac3629c17b4a65dfe5b3d3518bcf22$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=138&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#138

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 23:40:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Sat, 18 Jan 2020 23:40 UTC

anon wrote:

>>not at all, i just find her views interesting though i strongly disagree with them.

> what is the interesting part for you ?

it is interesting to me to see how a person's history might set their views for the long term. since rand experienced the russian revolution and its impact on her father's business, it makes some sense whe would have strong views against government control and the power and greatness of business leaders.

i find what appears to be her view that without the top leaders, the rest of us are helpless to be a bit elitist, but i don't think she ever claimed to be otherwise.

i just find people's views and stories interesting, whether i agree with them or not. i won't avoid reading someone's work or history based on whether their views are in line with my own.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com