Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 07:43 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 07:43:22 +0000
View all headers
Antoine Beaupré: Deleted GitLab forks from my account
https://anarc.at/blog/2022-09-06-deleted-gitlab/
September 7, 2022, 1:34 AM
I have just deleted two forks I had of the GitLab project in my
gitlab.com account. I did this after receiving a warning that quotas
would now start to be enforced. It didn't say that I was going over
quota, so I actually had to go look in the usage quotas page,
which stated I was using 5.6GB of storage.
I found that puzzling: maybe wallabako? I build images there in
CI... Or the ISOs in stressant?
Nope. The biggest disk users were... my forks of gitlab-ce and
gitlab-ee (now respectively calle...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Montreal's Debian & Stuff - August 2022
https://veronneau.org/montreals-debian-stuff-august-2022.html
September 6, 2022, 8:15 PM
Our local Debian user group gathered on Sunday August 28th1 at the very
hackish Foulab for the August 2022 edition of our "Debian &amp; Stuff"
meetings.
As always, the event was a success and we had lots of fun. Nine people showed
up, including some new faces and people I hadn't seen in a while:
    Animated picture of the people present at the event.
On my side, although I was badly sleep-deprived 2, I still managed to be
somewhat productive!
One of the WiFi Access Points we use in our 4-ap...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Debian on Phone
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/09/06/debian-on-phone/
September 6, 2022, 4:41 PM
History
Before I start, the game I was talking about is called Cell To Singularity. Now I haven’t gone much in the game as I have shared but think that the Singularity it refers to is the Technological Singularity that people think will happen. Whether that will happen or not is open to debate to one and all. This is going to be a bit long one. Confession Time :- When I was sharing in the blog post, I had no clue that we actually had sessions on it in this year’s Debconf. I just saw t...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Borg corrupted hints file
https://jmtd.net/log/borg_woes/
September 6, 2022, 3:29 PM
I've been using Borg backup for a couple of years and it has
seemingly worked very well for me. One difference I really appreciate from my
previous arrangement (rdiff-backup) is the freedom to move large
files or file hierarchies around (including between different filesystems)
without provoking large backup incrementals.
About a week ago I had my first real problem with Borg: backups started to
fail with the following complaints:
Creating archive at "/backup/borg::{hostname}-home-jon-{now:%Y-...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: September.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Sep-4.html.en#2022-Sep-4-11:28:43
September 4, 2022, 2:28 AM
September. Digging into why my apt-get doesn't complete.
--------------------
Joachim Breitner: More recursive definitions
http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/792-More_recursive_definitions
September 3, 2022, 12:31 PM
Haskell is a pure and lazy programming language, and the laziness allows us to write some algorithms very elegantly, by recursively referring to already calculated values. A typical example is the following definition of the Fibonacci numbers, as an infinite stream:
fibs = 0 : 1 : zipWith (+) fibs (tail fibs)
Elegant graph traversals
A maybe more practical example is the following calculation of the transitive closure of a graph:
import qualified Data.Set as S
import qualified Data.Map as M
typ...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Fantasy, J.R.R. Tolkein
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/09/03/fantasy-j-r-r-tolkein/
September 3, 2022, 5:02 AM
J.R.R. Tolkein
Now unless you have been living under a rock cave, I am sure you know who Mr. Tolkein is. Apparently, the gentleman passed away on 2nd September 1973 at the sprightly age of 80. And this gives fans like me to talk about fantasy, fantasy authors, and the love-hate relationship we have with them. For a matter of record, I am currently reading Babylon Steel by Gaie Sebold. Now while I won’t go into many details (I never like to, if I enjoy a book, I would want the book to be mys...
--------------------
Kunal Mehta: Kiwix in Debian, 2022 update
https://blog.legoktm.com/2022/09/02/kiwix-in-debian-2022-update.html
September 2, 2022, 3:06 AM
Previous updates: 2018, 2021
Kiwix is an offline content reader, best known
for distributing copies of Wikipedia. I have been maintaining it in Debian
since 2017.
This year most of the work has been keeping all the packages up to date in anticipation of next year's Debian 12 Bookworm release,
including several transitions
for new libzim and libkiwix versions.
libzim: 6.3.0 → 8.0.0
zim-tools: 2.1.0 → 3.1.1
python-libzim: 0.0.3 → 1.1.1 (with a cherry-picked patch)
libkiwix: 9.4.1 → 11.0.0...
--------------------
John Goerzen: Dead USB Drives Are Fine: Building a Reliable Sneakernet
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10421-dead-usb-drives-are-fine-building-a-reliable-sneakernet
September 2, 2022, 1:43 AM
“OK,” you’re probably thinking.  “John, you talk a lot about things like Gopher and personal radios, and now you want to talk about building a reliable network out of…  USB drives?”
Well, yes.  In fact, I’ve already done it.
What is sneakernet?
Normally, “sneakernet” is a sort of tongue-in-cheek reference to using disconnected storage to transport data or messages.  By “disconnect storage” I mean anything like CD-ROMs, hard drives, SD cards, USB drives, and so forth.  There...
--------------------
Emmanuel Kasper: OpenShift  vs. AWS product mapping
https://00formicapunk00.wordpress.com/2022/09/01/openshift-vs-aws-product-mapping/
September 1, 2022, 7:45 AM
If you know the Amazon Web Services portfolio, and you are interested in OpenShift or the OKD OpenShift community distribution, this is a table of corresponding technologies.
OpenShift is Red Hat’s Kubernetes distribution: it is basically the upstream Kubernetes delivered with monitoring, logging, CI/CD, underlying OS, tested upgrade paths not found with a manual kubernetes.io kubeadm install.
AWS
OpenShift
OpenShift upstream project
Cloud Trail
Kubernetes API Server audit log
Kubernete...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Culture, Books, Friends
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/09/01/culture-books-friends/
September 1, 2022, 5:59 AM
Culture
Just before I start, I would like to point out that this post may or would probably be NSFW. Again, what is SFW (Safe at Work) and NSFW that so much depends on culture and perception of culture from wherever we are or wherever we take birth? But still, to be on the safe side I have put it as NSFW. Now there have been a few statements and ideas that gave me a pause. This will be a sort of chaotic blog post as I am in such a phase today. For e.g. while I do not know which culture or...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Summer haul
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2022-08/001.html
September 1, 2022, 5:26 AM
It's been a while since I posted one of these!  Or, really, much of
anything else.  Busy and distracted this summer and a bit behind on a wide
variety of things at the moment, although thankfully not in a bad way.
Sara Alfageeh &amp; Nadia Shammas — Squire (graphic novel)
Travis Baldree — Legends &amp; Lattes (sff)
Leigh Bardugo — Six of Crows (sff)
Miles Cameron — Artifact Space (sff)
Robert Caro — The Power Broker (nonfiction)
Kate Elliott — Servant Mage (sff)

--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities August 2022
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2022/09/01/floss-activities/
September 1, 2022, 4:32 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
webdl:
support ffmpeg 5
libpst:
better error
purple-discord:
fix
line ending,
mojibake
pass-audit:
typos
duck:
add
more match output,
obsolete site,
indicator phrase,
fix
comparisons,
whitespace,
sentence
lintian:
add obsolete site
reportbug:
minor cleanup,
add
ftp.d.o usertags
Debian usertags:
fix repro builds, ports, ftp-master usertags
Debian package uploads:
sptag,
purple-discord,
circ...