Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:47 UTC
From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 07:47:59 +0000
View all headers
Russell Coker: Storing Local Secrets
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/09/14/storing-local-secrets/
September 14, 2022, 1:01 AM
In the operation of a normal Linux system there are many secrets stored on behalf of a user. Wifi passwords, passwords from web sites, etc. Ideally you want them to be quickly and conveniently accessible to the rightful user but also be as difficult as possible for hostile parties to access.
The solution in GNOME and KDE is to have a wallet that is encrypted to store such passwords, the idea is that if a hostile party gets access to a PC that doesn’t use full disk encryption then the secrets w...
--------------------
Alberto García: Adding software to the Steam Deck with systemd-sysext
https://blogs.igalia.com/berto/2022/09/13/adding-software-to-the-steam-deck-with-systemd-sysext/
September 13, 2022, 6:00 PM
Introduction: an immutable OS
The Steam Deck runs SteamOS, a single-user operating system based on Arch Linux. Although derived from a standard package-based distro, the OS in the Steam Deck is immutable and system updates replace the contents of the root filesystem atomically instead of using the package manager.
An immutable OS makes the system more stable and its updates less error-prone, but users cannot install additional packages to add more software. This is not a problem for most users s...
--------------------
Petter Reinholdtsen: Time to translate the Bullseye edition of the Debian Administrator's Handbook
https://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Time_to_translate_the_Bullseye_edition_of_the_Debian_Administrator_s_Handbook.html
September 12, 2022, 1:45 PM
(The picture is of the previous edition.)
Almost two years after the previous Norwegian Bokmål translation of
the "The Debian Administrator's
Handbook" was published, a new edition is finally being prepared.  The
english text is updated, and it is time to start working on the
translations.  Around 37 percent of the strings have been updated, one
way or another, and the translations starting from a complete Debian Buster
edition now need to bring their translation up from 63% to 100%.  The
comp...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppArmadillo 0.11.2.4.0 on CRAN: Bugfix and Deprecation
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/09/11#rcpparmadillo_0.11.2.4.0
September 11, 2022, 8:31 PM
Armadillo is a powerful and expressive C++ template library for linear algebra and scientific computing. It aims towards a good balance between speed and ease of use, has a syntax deliberately close to Matlab, and is useful for algorithm development directly in C++, or quick conversion of research code into production environments. RcppArmadillo integrates this library with the R environment and language–and is widely used by (currently) 1016 packages other packages on CRAN, downloaded 26.2 mi...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: Politics, accessibility, books
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2022/09/11/politics-accessibility-books/
September 11, 2022, 3:47 AM
Politics
I have been reading books, both fiction and non-fiction for a long long time. My first book was a comic most probably when I was down with Malaria when I was a kid. I must be around 4-5 years old. Over the years, books have given me great joy and I continue to find nuggets of useful information, both in fiction as well as non-fiction books. So here’s to sharing something and how that can lead you to a rabbit hole. This entry would be a bit NSFW as far as language is concerned. ...
--------------------
Russ Allbery: Review: Hogfather
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-06-227628-X.html
September 11, 2022, 2:06 AM
Review: Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett
      Series:
    Discworld #20
        Publisher:
    Harper
        Copyright:
    1996
        Printing:
    February 2014
        ISBN:
    0-06-227628-X
        Format:
    Mass market
        Pages:
    402
  Hogfather is the 20th Discworld novel and not a very good place to
start.  I recommend at least reading Soul
Music first for a proper introduction to Susan, and you may want to
start with Mort.
When we last saw Susan, she was ...
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 202209110020 - Debian release day(s) - Cambridge - post 4
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2022/09/202209110020-debian-release-days.html
September 11, 2022, 12:24 AM
 RattusRattus, Isy, smcv have all just left after a very long day. Steve is finishing up the final stages. The mayhem has quietened, the network cables are coiled, pretty much everything is tidied away. A new experience for two of us - I just hope it hasn't put them off too much.The IRC channels are quiet and we can put this one to bed after a good day's work well done.
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 202209102213 - Debian release day - Cambridge - post 3
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2022/09/202209102213-debian-release-day.html
September 10, 2022, 10:18 PM
Working a bit more slowly - coming to the end of the process. I've been wrestling with a couple of annoying old laptops and creating mayhem. The others are almost through the process - it's been a very long day, almost 12 hours now.As ever, it's good to be with people who appreciate this work - I'm also being menaced by a dog that wants fuss all the time. It certainly makes a difference to have fast connectivity and even faster remarks backwards and forwards....
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 202209101602 Debian release day - Cambridge - post 2
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2022/09/202209101602-debian-release-day.html
September 10, 2022, 4:14 PM
Definitely settling into a rhythm - we've been joined by smcv in person (and bittin on line). Bullseye testing is now well beyond the standard image testing into the live images.Buster images are gradually being built so there's the added confusion of two sets of wiki editing, two sets of potential edit conflicts ...So six people in a small-ish sitting room, several with multiple laptops running several checks at once. It's all good, as ever.Dining room table has nine machines on it, three packe...
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Prusa Mini
https://jmtd.net/log/prusa_mini/
September 10, 2022, 1:25 PM
In June I caved and bought a Prusa
Mini
3D printer for home. I bought it just before an announced price hike. I went
for a Prusa because of their reputation for "just working", and the Mini mostly
as its the cheapest, although, the print area (7"³) is large enough for most of
the things I am likely to print.
To get started, at the same time I bought some Prusament recycled
PLA to print
with which, unfortunately, I've been a little disappointed with.
I was attracted to the idea of buyi...
--------------------
Andrew Cater: 202209101115 Debian release day - Cambridge - Bullseye and Buster testing starting
http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2022/09/202209101115-debian-release-day.html
September 10, 2022, 11:21 AM
And I'm over here with the Debian images/media release team in Cambridge.First time together in Cambridge for a long time: several of the usual suspects - RattusRattus, Sledge, Isy and myself. Also in the room are Kartik and egw - I think this is their first time.Chat is now physically in Sledge's sitting room as well as on IRC. The first couple of images are trickling in and tests are starting for Bullseye.This is going to be a very long day - we've got full tests for Bullseye (Debian 11) and B...
--------------------
Holger Levsen: 20220910-youngest-LUKS-user
http://layer-acht.org/thinking/blog/20220910-youngest-LUKS-user/
September 10, 2022, 10:39 AM
youngest LUKS user I know...
So I'm in Berlin currently to attend the fourth Qubes OS Summit, also to discuss the future of the reproducible-builds.org mirror of snapshot.debian.org and in the evening I've met an old Debian friend who told a lovely story about his 5 year old daughter, who since recently is a Debian user using an old laptop with LUKS encryption, knowing her data will be lost when she forgets her passphrase... 😀
The Qubes OS Summit is also very cool, great people and exciting...
Junichi Uekawa: Tried implementing FUSE cpiofs.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Sep-10.html.en#2022-Sep-10-18:53:53

Click here to read the complete article