From: "Retro G...@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Re: Setup of news server Inn on linux (link)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:28:03 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:28 UTC

On 08/31/2017 05:01 AM, wed wrote:
> http://www.wiley.com/legacy/compbooks/negus/rhbf2/news_server.html
>
> I found some very useful information in this one.

Thanks for the link. Hoping I can learn some from this and we can get
things going.

Retro Guy

Re: Setup of news server Inn on linux (link)

<oo9hd1$47m$1@networks.retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: wed...@retrobbs.synchro.net (wed)
To: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 00:35:30 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: wed - Fri, 1 Sep 2017 00:35 UTC

here is another one I found specifically about /etc/newsfeeds :

Table 2-2

The newsfeeds file

The newsfeeds file (found at /etc/news/newsfeeds) specifies how incoming news articles are redistributed to other servers and to INN processes. If you provide news feeds to other servers, you have to list these news feeds in this file. (You also must have an entry labeled ME, which serves a special purpose explained later in this section.)

The newsfeeds file contains a series of entries, one for each feed. Each feed entry has the following format:

site[/exclude,exclude . . . ]\
:pattern,pattern . . . [/distrib,distrib . . . ]\
:flag,flag . . . \
:param

Each entry has four fields separated by a colon (:). Usually, the entries span multiple lines, and a backslash (\) at the end of the line continues a line to the next. Here's what the four fields mean:

The first field, site, is the name of the feed. Each name must be unique, and for feeds to other news servers, the name is set to the hostname of the remote server. Following the name is an optional slash and an exclude list (/exclude,exclude . . . ) of names. If any of the names in this list appear in the Path line of an article, that article isn't forwarded to the feed. You can use an exclude list if you don't want to receive articles from a specific source.
The second field is a comma-separated list of newsgroup patterns, such as *,@alt.binaries.warez.*,!control*,!local*, followed by an optional distribution list. The distribution list is a list of comma-separated keywords, with each keyword specifying a specific set of sites to which the articles are distributed. The newsgroup patterns essentially define a subscription list of sites that receive this news feed. An asterisk (*) matches all newsgroups. A pattern beginning with @ causes newsgroups matching that pattern to be dropped. A pattern that begins with an exclamation mark (!) means the matching newsgroups are not sent. The simple pattern-matching syntax used in INN configuration files is referred to as a wildmat pattern.
The third field is a comma-separated list of flags -- fields that determine the feed-entry type and set certain parameters for the entry. You see numerous flags; type man newsfeeds and read the man page for more information about the flags.
The fourth field is for parameters whose values depend on the settings in the third field. Typically, this field contains names of files or external programs that the INN server uses. You can find more about this field from the newsfeeds man page.

Now that you know the layout of the /etc/news/newsfeeds file, you can study that file as an example. The default file contains many sample feed entries, but only two are commented out:

ME is a special feed entry that's always required. It serves two purposes. First, the newsgroup patterns listed in this entry are used as a prefix for all newsgroup patterns in all other entries. Second, the ME entry's distribution list determines what distributions your server accepts from remote sites.
The controlchan feed entry is used to set up INN so that an external program is used to handle control messages. (These messages are used to create new newsgroups and remove groups.) For example, the following controlchan entry specifies the external program /usr/ lib/news/bin/controlchan to handle all control messages, except cancel messages (meant for canceling an article):

controlchan!\
:!*,control,control.*,!control.cancel\
:Tc,Wnsm:/usr/lib/news/bin/controlchan

In addition to these feed entries, you add entries for any actual sites to which your news server provides news feeds. Such entries have the format

feedme.domain.com\
:!junk,!control/!foo\
:Tm:innfeed!

where feedme.domain.com is the fully qualified domain name of the site to which your system sends news articles.

Full article at: http://linuxapplications.blogspot.ca/2012/08/installing-inn-server.html
--
-message sent by wed-
Posted by:wed <wed@retrobbs.synchro.net>

Re: Setup of news server Inn on linux (link)

<59A8817B.5.rs.linux@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: wed
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:37:00 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 1 Sep 2017 04:37 UTC

On 08/31/2017 10:35 AM, wed wrote:
> here is another one I found specifically about /etc/newsfeeds :
>
> Table 2-2
>
> The newsfeeds file

> where feedme.domain.com is the fully qualified domain name of the site
> to which your system sends news articles.
>

> Full article at:
> http://linuxapplications.blogspot.ca/2012/08/installing-inn-server.html

I think we'll get it working, just concerned about using hostnames properly.

One thing I have learned (by breaking things) is that once you set up,
don't change your hostname. So it's important to set a proper hostname
from the start.

Retro Guy

Re: Setup of news server Inn on linux (link)

<ooatij$qbm$1@networks.retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: "Retro G...@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 06:09:25 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 1 Sep 2017 13:09 UTC

On 08/31/2017 02:37 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
> To: wed
> On 08/31/2017 10:35 AM, wed wrote:
>> here is another one I found specifically about /etc/newsfeeds :
>>
>> Table 2-2
>>
>> The newsfeeds file

>> where feedme.domain.com is the fully qualified domain name of the site
>> to which your system sends news articles.
>>

>> Full article at:
>> http://linuxapplications.blogspot.ca/2012/08/installing-inn-server.html
>
> I think we'll get it working, just concerned about using hostnames
> properly.
>
> One thing I have learned (by breaking things) is that once you set up,
> don't change your hostname. So it's important to set a proper hostname
> from the start.
>
> Retro Guy
> --- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
> Posted at: RetroBBS

Ok, I think I have two inn2 installations talking now.

I used a simple method that seems to be working fine, and avoids the
hostname issues.

I'm going to continue testing, but so far it's working.

Retro Guy

Re: Setup of news server Inn on linux (link)

<ooauug$sqs$2@networks.retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: "Retro G...@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 06:32:49 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 1 Sep 2017 13:32 UTC

On 08/31/2017 11:09 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
> On 08/31/2017 02:37 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
>> To: wed
>> On 08/31/2017 10:35 AM, wed wrote:
>>> here is another one I found specifically about /etc/newsfeeds :
>>>
>>> Table 2-2
>>>
>>> The newsfeeds file

>>> where feedme.domain.com is the fully qualified domain name of the site
>>> to which your system sends news articles.
>>>

>>> Full article at:
>>> http://linuxapplications.blogspot.ca/2012/08/installing-inn-server.html
>>
>> I think we'll get it working, just concerned about using hostnames
>> properly.
>>
>> One thing I have learned (by breaking things) is that once you set up,
>> don't change your hostname. So it's important to set a proper hostname
>> from the start.
>>
>> Retro Guy
>> --- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
>> Posted at: RetroBBS
>
> Ok, I think I have two inn2 installations talking now.
>
> I used a simple method that seems to be working fine, and avoids the
> hostname issues.
>
> I'm going to continue testing, but so far it's working.
>
> Retro Guy

Not having any issues syncing the two servers.

If you are able to get inn2 working we can test sync one forum.

I'm going to email you the forum name, the command to create it, and the
info on how to pull articles.

Retro Guy

Re: Setup of news server Inn on linux (link)

<59A90304.8.rs.linux@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: Retro Guy
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 06:49:41 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 1 Sep 2017 13:49 UTC

On 08/31/2017 11:32 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
> On 08/31/2017 11:09 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
>> On 08/31/2017 02:37 PM, Retro Guy wrote:
>>> To: wed

>>> I think we'll get it working, just concerned about using hostnames
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> One thing I have learned (by breaking things) is that once you set up,
>>> don't change your hostname. So it's important to set a proper hostname
>>> from the start.
>>>
>>> Retro Guy
>>> --- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
>>> Posted at: RetroBBS
>>
>> Ok, I think I have two inn2 installations talking now.
>>
>> I used a simple method that seems to be working fine, and avoids the
>> hostname issues.
>>
>> I'm going to continue testing, but so far it's working.
>>
>> Retro Guy
>>
> Not having any issues syncing the two servers.
>
> If you are able to get inn2 working we can test sync one forum.
>
> I'm going to email you the forum name, the command to create it, and the
> info on how to pull articles.
>
> Retro Guy

I just sent the email. I forgot to mention the command to create groups,
but I think you already know. Anyway here it is:

ctlinnd newgroup name.of.new.group

Retro Guy