Subject: void over i2p
From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-k08-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 21:55 UTC
  To: rocksolid.shared.i2p
hi. has anyone tried voip over i2p? what were your experiences?

Subject: Re: void over i2p
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 02:26 UTC
AnonUser wrote:

  To: rocksolid.shared.i2p
hi. has anyone tried voip over i2p? what were your experiences?

I haven't tried it, but I've used voip way back over a 56k modem and it worked ok. I think it was powwow I was using, talking to ppl all over the world. Not great, but it worked.

What's a typical speed over i2p?

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-4qe-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 09:25 UTC
  To: Retro Guy
What's a typical speed over i2p?

depends on a lot of things like amount of hops or each hops router settings/performance, network congestion and so on

so it is hard to say. with torrenting you can achieve higher throughput because you open multiple tunnels. i do remember getting around 300-500 kb per s when lucky.

i am thinking the latency might be an issue because of the hops. browser says from http request to response is 1089ms for retrobbs.i2p

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 14:49 UTC
i am thinking the latency might be an issue

yeah, that sounds right. in terms of speed, you should only need 28kB/s for voice communication, but latency is crucial.