Subject: degree of anonymity
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 06:39 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 23:39:48 -0700
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_anonymity
has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
kind of worried about if these programs can be worth it
any rules of thumb for i2p & tor?

Subject: Re: degree of anonymity
From: Marc SCHAEFER
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 07:50 UTC
From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 09:50:14 +0200 (CEST)
View all headers
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:
has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
kind of worried about if these programs can be worth it
any rules of thumb for i2p & tor?

You need to do this analysis separately for the network anonymizing part
(tor or i2p) and the tools you use to access it.

Your web browser might be much more telling than the choosen anonymizing
network.

From: rslightuser
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:37 UTC
From: rslightu...@rslight.i2p (rslightuser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:37:39 +0000
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_anonymity
has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
kind of worried about if these programs can be worth it
any rules of thumb for i2p & tor?

I think they're definitely worth it to improve anonymity, but never to guarantee it. The weakest link is the user.

My thougts follow but I'm no expert, just a user

1. Don't use Microsoft Windows, run an open source os.
2. Encrypt everything.
3. Run a dedicated system or at the very least, a dedicated vm for using tor or i2p. I wouldn't really be comfortable in a vm, but it's better than your real system.
4. Never use the same browser (really even system) for your rl stuff and your tor or i2p browser.
5. Never use an online account through tor or i2p that is linked to you. Never use names or anything else that can be linked to you. Never discuss anything that can be linked to you. This is the most common way people are found out in darknets.
6. Lot's more stuff that I'll leave to others to talk about.

rslight.i2p

Subject: has anyone ever ?
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 18:58 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:58:08 -0700
has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?

tor is very well researched by now, with many papers on possible attacks and other interesting stuff.

i2p on the other hand is much less researched (because much less known).

i agree to the concrete recommendations of the previous posts, and i would like to add:

it depends a lot on what you want to achieve and who your (potential) enemy is,
if you want to look a pron pics without your parents internetfilter screwing it up for you, either one is fine (I mean tor or i2p).
if you want to do the Assange thing, none of them will be enough.
if you want to run a darknet market for drugs or weapons, i2p is safer imo, but will also attract less customers.

so it all depends on what you want and who is after you.

Subject: comparison server vs user
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 19:05 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:05:33 -0700
another angle to look at is: are you browsing/getting content or are you offering some service (a website, for example).
ihmo the usage of the torbrowser on onion sites is safer than the usage of $browser plugged into the i2p proxy.
on the other hand running a service and concealing your identity over a longer time period is better achieved with i2p.
i think it is due to the design: i2p was made for this, while for tor it an addon.

Subject: http://dropbox.i2p/?gSC3wMKGuRchuL9a6WpcGxxeZKG
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 22:38 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: http://dropbox.i2p/?gSC3wMKGuRchuL9a6WpcGxxeZ
KG
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 14:38:13 -0800
860e3ec0bf5cfe4d57
has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
please see a document with some answers here:
http://dropbox.i2p/?gSC3wMKGuRchuL9a6WpcGxxeZKG