From: wed...@mail.i2p.net (wed)
To: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Howto setup FUDforum (work in progress)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 20:49:00 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: wed - Fri, 29 Sep 2017 20:49 UTC

So far:

Setting up FUDforum on debian wheezy

The following instructions can be used to setup FUDforum on a debian wheezy, configure it and connect to the rocksolid forums. The same instructions should work for any debian based system like Ubuntu or raspbian, but the details in these cases might differ (remember to use sudo on Ubuntu).
On the side of the hardware, running FUDforum will not require large ressources. Be aware that if you want to provide functioning sessions to your users (that means, if you want to enable users and not only anonymous access), the webserver serving the forum must be installed on the same box as your i2p router (reasons for this and details later in this text).

Installing FUDforum

Install all the stuff you will need on your system:
apt-get install libapr1 libaprutil1 libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl libpq5 mysql-client-5.5 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.5 php5-common php5-mysql php5-common php5-cli php5-fpm nginx

Replace nginx with apache if you prefer. The rest of this guide will focus on nginx though. In fact you might of course use any webserver which can pass php scripts on.
Configure mysql so that you will have a user that FUDforum can use later on and a table (be sure to remember the name).
(cli)

Get the forum like this:
wget https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/fudforum/FUDforum_3.0.7.zip?r=https%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fprojects%2Ffudforum%2Ffiles%2Flatest%2Fdownload%3Fsource%3Dfiles&ts=1506705573&use_mirror=netix
You can use as well:
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/fudforum/FUDforum_3.0.7.zip?r=https%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fprojects%2Ffudforum%2Ffiles%2Flatest%2Fdownload%3Fsource%3Dfiles&ts=1506705573&use_mirror=netix
if https is not supported by your system.

Unpack like this:
unzip ./FUDforum_3.0.7.zip -d /var/www
give ownership of the directory tree to the user of your webserver, this is usually www-data:
chown -R www-data.www-data /var/www/FUDforum

Make sure your wevserver is turned on and can serve the data:
nano /etc/nginx/nginx.conf
()
nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/default
()
Call installation script

General settings

Typical errors:
1) php not working/running
2) nginx misconfigured (wrong php parameters)

Patch (extremely important-will not work without)

FUDforum has some tweaks hidden under the hood, and we will need them so that FUDforum can talk to inn2, the nntp server and so that FUDforum will add a signature to each post that shows where the post originated.

Create rocksolid forums

Connect the forums to the appropriate newsgroups

To stay synched: Cron or bash - a question of taste

Repeat the two steps above for other forums and groups if you want

Setup your local i2p tunnel

Tick the the box that says: "local ip addresses for each connection". This is the reason why the webserver needs to be on the same box as your i2p router: these local ip addresses only work that way, also not if you try to be clever and set up an ssh tunnel. it really must be the same box. only than will the incoming tunnel be able to give different (local) ip addresses to the different clients connecting, which will enable FUDforum to keep the sessions separate. If you don't do it this way, FUD forum will see all connections coming from the same address, and your users will drop into each others sessions all the time (meaning: they will be able to take over each others accounts). the reason why FUDforum over i2p needs ip addresses to accomplish session management is somewhere deep in the php code. We have in all our testing not been able to find any other way than the one described. It has probably to do with how FUDforum identifies different clients on the clearnet, and the fact that i2p wipes out a lot of the potentially used information here, in order to keep the users privacy. Anyway, do it like described or allow anonymous posts only.

Help: see more general installation instructions for FUDforum here: http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php?title=Install
Help2: see a 15min walkthrough here: http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=118124&start=0&
Posted on def.i2p by:wed <wed@mail.i2p.net>

Re: Howto setup FUDforum (work in progress)

<59CF0895.27.rs.linux@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: wed
Subject: Re: Howto setup FUDforum (work in progress)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 19:59:37 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 30 Sep 2017 02:59 UTC

On 09/29/2017 01:49 PM, wed wrote:
> [...]
> (local) ip addresses to the different clients connecting, which will
> enable FUDforum to keep the sessions separate. If you don't do it this
> way, FUD forum will see all connections coming from the same address,
> and your users will drop into each others sessions all the time
> (meaning: they will be able to take over each others accounts). the
> reason why FUDforum over i2p needs ip addresses to accomplish session
> management is somewhere deep in the php code. We have in all our testing
> not been able to find any other way than the one described. It has
> probably to do with how FUDforum identifies different clients on the
> clearnet, and the fact that i2p wipes out a lot of the potentially used
> information here, in order to keep the users privacy. Anyway, do it like
> described or allow anonymous posts only.
>
> Help: see more general installation instructions for FUDforum here:

Here is a bash script that makes it a bit easier to add groups for
fudforum to sync, without having to run the script (nntp.php)
individually many times:

#!/bin/bash
for i in {1..81}
do
sudo -u www-data php /var/www/FUDforum/scripts/nntp.php $i
done

Just change the two numbers in the 'for i in ...' line to include each
group number you wish to sync. When you add a new group, just increase
the last number accordingly.

Retro Guy

Re: Howto setup FUDforum (work in progress)

<oqnjie$tfg$1@raspberrypi.def.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: wed...@mail.i2p.net (wed)
To: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 08:17:27 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: wed - Sat, 30 Sep 2017 08:17 UTC

Thats a nice one, I had something similar in place. Does the cron update work for you ?
Posted on def.i2p by:wed <wed@mail.i2p.net>

Re: Howto setup FUDforum (work in progress)

<59CF5849.29.rs.linux@retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: wed
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 01:39:42 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 30 Sep 2017 08:39 UTC

On 09/30/2017 01:17 AM, wed wrote:
> Thats a nice one, I had something similar in place. Does the cron update
> work for you ?
> Posted on def.i2p by:wed <wed@mail.i2p.net>

I just run the above mentioned script as a cron job. Seems to be working
fine.